Record Video And Audio At The Same Time On Ipad Pro
Todd Simpson
Jun 21 2021, 04:14 AM
GMC:er
A while back I was asked about recording audio and video at the same time on an Ipad pro. As ipads are replacing laptops for many musicians, it's going to become a requirement. One is going to need to be able to record a video on an ipad, while recording in a daw (like garage band) in the background.

The good news is that this is actually pretty simple!!!

To record audio in Garage Band in the background open the settings (in Instruments view, press the wrench) and enable "Run in Background".

That's pretty much all there is to it. At least in theory. I recently got a "Vintage" gen 4 ipad and I"m going to give it a shot. You can buy Gen 4 ipads now for about $100 so they are quite inexpensive. Of course, these are vintage at this point and no longer supported by apple, but they will still run netflix/garage band/etc.

I can't find a single video about this topic on youtube right now. I think I may have to create one.

ANYONE USING A TABLET?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 21 2021, 04:17 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jun 22 2021, 11:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 21 2021, 03:14 AM) *
A while back I was asked about recording audio and video at the same time on an Ipad pro. As ipads are replacing laptops for many musicians, it's going to become a requirement. One is going to need to be able to record a video on an ipad, while recording in a daw (like garage band) in the background.

The good news is that this is actually pretty simple!!!

To record audio in Garage Band in the background open the settings (in Instruments view, press the wrench) and enable "Run in Background".

That's pretty much all there is to it. At least in theory. I recently got a "Vintage" gen 4 ipad and I"m going to give it a shot. You can buy Gen 4 ipads now for about $100 so they are quite inexpensive. Of course, these are vintage at this point and no longer supported by apple, but they will still run netflix/garage band/etc.

I can't find a single video about this topic on youtube right now. I think I may have to create one.

ANYONE USING A TABLET?

Thanks Todd,
I was actually researching this as well to record on the go and take video at the same time, but have not tried it yet.

I stumbled across an interface called Line 6 sonic port Vx which should work with my iPad (there are a few but these are cheap on eBay), have not tested it yet, but will let you know how it goes!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ClaudioStrat: Jun 22 2021, 11:55 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2021, 07:03 AM
Just make sure it's compatible with your ipad and your current version of IOS before you pull the trigger!

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jun 22 2021, 06:54 PM) *
Thanks Todd,
I was actually researching this as well to record on the go and take video at the same time, but have not tried it yet.

I stumbled across an interface called Line 6 sonic port Vx which should work with my iPad (there are a few but these are cheap on eBay), have not tested it yet, but will let you know how it goes!

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jul 3 2021, 11:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

I had a go at this with mix results.

The “run in background” works , so can run garage band and add-ins (using this Line 6 sonic port Vx) so get a pretty good sound, it will make practicing while traveling really easy.

The run in back ground works, so can open other programs, notes etc..
Now the tricky bit is that when I start recording a video, input seems to chance to the iPad mic.

Wondering if I’m missing a trick here?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 3 2021, 08:20 PM
What app are you using to record video? Quicktime? If you hit record in garage band, then switch to your video app, can you then record video?

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jul 3 2021, 06:48 AM) *
Hi,

I had a go at this with mix results.

The “run in background” works , so can run garage band and add-ins (using this Line 6 sonic port Vx) so get a pretty good sound, it will make practicing while traveling really easy.

The run in back ground works, so can open other programs, notes etc..
Now the tricky bit is that when I start recording a video, input seems to chance to the iPad mic.

Wondering if I’m missing a trick here?

Thanks

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jul 4 2021, 03:32 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 3 2021, 07:20 PM) *
What app are you using to record video? Quicktime? If you hit record in garage band, then switch to your video app, can you then record video?

I was using the default cam app that comes with the iPad. Not sure the name. With that one the video will not record the garage band audio, but goes to the iPad mic.
Maybe another camera app might work better with GB?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2021, 11:48 PM
I was looking in to it for you actually smile.gif What happens if you hit record in garage band and let it record, then switch to the camera app while garage band is still recording? that way hopefully garage band will grab the audio you need, and the camera can grab video. Do you see what I mean? Start the GB project recording and then switch to the camera app. At that point hit record on the video. After a few minutes stop both. At that point you should have your garage band project audio and your video. You would need to take both the vid and audio in to imovie or something and line up the exported garage band audio with the video you just recorded.

here is a tutorial on synching vid/audio once it's recorded

I have to do this same thing on my laptop.

[what hapquote name='ClaudioStrat' date='Jul 4 2021, 10:32 AM' post='790467']
I was using the default cam app that comes with the iPad. Not sure the name. With that one the video will not record the garage band audio, but goes to the iPad mic.
[/quote]

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jul 5 2021, 12:16 AM
Learning Roadie
thanks Todd,

yes I see what you mean (nice tutorial that one I actually didn't know you could synch audio with imovie). I do also synch with PC (using another program Lightworks) when I try to get a good audio output.

I guess with the ipad I was trying to get a very quick solution do do both vid and rec at the same time. But yes this could work actually.

I guess eventually a little extension to GB with video recording capability might one day be released?

cheers

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 4 2021, 10:48 PM) *
I was looking in to it for you actually smile.gif What happens if you hit record in garage band and let it record, then switch to the camera app while garage band is still recording? that way hopefully garage band will grab the audio you need, and the camera can grab video. Do you see what I mean? Start the GB project recording and then switch to the camera app. At that point hit record on the video. After a few minutes stop both. At that point you should have your garage band project audio and your video. You would need to take both the vid and audio in to imovie or something and line up the exported garage band audio with the video you just recorded.

here is a tutorial on synching vid/audio once it's recorded

I have to do this same thing on my laptop.

[what hapquote name='ClaudioStrat' date='Jul 4 2021, 10:32 AM' post='790467']

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2021, 01:45 AM

There is one more thing i ran across. If you plug in an external audio source, after you launch the video record app, the video should record whatever is coming in on the external device. so if you have an audio interface that works with your ipad, you can launch the vid app, then plug in your interface, then hit record in the video app and it should just record whatever is coming in through the interface. however, if you are using garage band for OVERLOUD THU or other processing, then this solution won't really help. it would work if you were recording an amp in the room for example, then again the on board mic would work for that smile.gif

Eventually the IOS operating system should have all of the same functionality that the MAC OS has. Since they are getting rid of MAC OS and everything will be IOS. So the functionality should eventually be there just as it is now on MAC OS. It's a multi tasking sort of issue. On MAC OS you can select separate audio and video sources when recording with the quick time app. Also you can record in garage band while you are recording using the quick time video app. Both apps will run like clock work on MAC OS. So I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until IOS does the same thing. smile.gif

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jul 4 2021, 07:16 PM) *
thanks Todd,

yes I see what you mean (nice tutorial that one I actually didn't know you could synch audio with imovie). I do also synch with PC (using another program Lightworks) when I try to get a good audio output.

I guess with the ipad I was trying to get a very quick solution do do both vid and rec at the same time. But yes this could work actually.

I guess eventually a little extension to GB with video recording capability might one day be released?

cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:46 AM