Common Cam For Recording
Roadside
Aug 9 2017, 08:08 AM
GMC:er
Hey there,

so actually I own a SLR camera, which I only use very rarely. Connecting it via USB is quite a mess as the interface is not working properly (it is a Nikon D3100). Anyhow, I am thinking about selling it and rather purchase something tiny and practical for recording of takes only. So basically some HD small, flexible camera.

Any recommendations?

Could not find any pinned thread or other related.

Thanks,

Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 9 2017, 08:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have a Sony RX100 which is a brilliant still camera and has good video performance but it doesn't have a foldout screen.

This was my solution. A webcam showing the screen image on my monitor.

Here is a video from that camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBp1ioCMxTY

I am currently using a Sony HDR-CX405 which is a cheap and cheerful HD camcorder with still ability.
Here is a video from that camera. It's not as sharp but I'm not sure I have it set up correctly. It does the job though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLc-SClxjM

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 10 2017, 08:07 AM
Thanks Phil! Well, I will start recording few takes this weekend with my NIKON somehow. If it works out I may keep it, on the other hand I will check out your recommendation in a loca store.

Thanks!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 9 2017, 09:50 PM) *
I have a Sony RX100 which is a brilliant still camera and has good video performance but it doesn't have a foldout screen.

This was my solution. A webcam showing the screen image on my monitor.

Here is a video from that camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBp1ioCMxTY

I am currently using a Sony HDR-CX405 which is a cheap and cheerful HD camcorder with still ability.
Here is a video from that camera. It's not as sharp but I'm not sure I have it set up correctly. It does the job though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NLc-SClxjM

I hope this helps.

Cheers

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 10 2017, 04:39 PM
I mainly use my Webcam for recording Video for takes. It's a Logitech C310.

I have also used a Flip Mino HD on a little Tripod for different angled shots. It's also better quality than the Logitech.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 10 2017, 09:05 PM
What's your rough budget for this?

If you want something that will connect directly a decent web cam is handy but even a great web cam won't get you the same imiage quality as a low end DSLR with a working usb connect. There is a bit of software for the canon series that let's you connect via usb and see the input real time and record it which is handy. I found that I really needed a remote control to control zooming in and out without having to get up and reset the zoom all the time so I went with a canon hd camcorder that connects via firewire so it can work as a web cam/live cam or record direct to adobe premiere which is very handy. But most folks don't have firewire on their rigs.

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 11 2017, 08:35 AM
Guys, independent of my budget I just went for a creatie HD 720p webcam which seems to be suitable for just rec takes. Not best of quality, but just 20$. So whenever I feel like I need to change, not a lot of value lost. You will see a vid in rec soon, so that you can provide feedback of video quality.

Todd, your idea is great. I would like to have a real cam based on firewire. Anyhow, that might be the next step smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2017, 06:11 AM
Congrats on your new cam smile.gif The creative labs cam is more than plenty and records in HD. You should be fine with that for quite a while. If your rig supports firwire, or you can add a firewire card if it's a tower, or via pcmcia slot if you got one and it's a laptop (assuming PC here not mac) then you can add a firewire HD camcorder no problem and you can get one on ebay for under $50 typically. My canon HD camcorder with the remote was $35 as the tape mechanism was broke, but I didn't care as I planned to use it as a web cam smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 11 2017, 03:35 AM) *
Guys, independent of my budget I just went for a creatie HD 720p webcam which seems to be suitable for just rec takes. Not best of quality, but just 20$. So whenever I feel like I need to change, not a lot of value lost. You will see a vid in rec soon, so that you can provide feedback of video quality.

Todd, your idea is great. I would like to have a real cam based on firewire. Anyhow, that might be the next step smile.gif

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 12 2017, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Todd smile.gif Good advise. Will most probably upgrade as the webcam is poor in capturing quick motion. Anything I might be able to adjust? I was just using movie maker based on default settings
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 12 2017, 07:11 AM) *
Congrats on your new cam smile.gif The creative labs cam is more than plenty and records in HD. You should be fine with that for quite a while. If your rig supports firwire, or you can add a firewire card if it's a tower, or via pcmcia slot if you got one and it's a laptop (assuming PC here not mac) then you can add a firewire HD camcorder no problem and you can get one on ebay for under $50 typically. My canon HD camcorder with the remote was $35 as the tape mechanism was broke, but I didn't care as I planned to use it as a web cam smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2017, 06:24 PM
Movie maker is a good way to get started smile.gif But you can download something called LIGHTWORKS for free on the web and you can download a free version of AVID media composer as well. Some folks have trouble installing the AVID product and just use LIGHTWORKS. IT's more complex than movie maker but more powerful as well.

When you do upgrade, if you go the firewire route and get a HD camcorder with a zoom remote, try to find one that has a broken tape mechanism as it will greatly reduce the price. The one I have is currently $200 on ebay in working condition, but you just need it as a web cam really as you can record directly to your computer you don't need the tape mechanism.

Attached Image

[

quote name='Roadside' date='Aug 12 2017, 05:02 AM' post='750871']
Thanks, Todd smile.gif Good advise. Will most probably upgrade as the webcam is poor in capturing quick motion. Anything I might be able to adjust? I was just using movie maker based on default settings
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 12 2017, 08:53 PM

I guess I will have to upgrade. Check out the recording quality of that 20$ cam.

This post has been edited by Roadside: Aug 12 2017, 08:53 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2017, 09:40 PM
It should be ok to get you started and doing some rec takes an collabs smile.gif Also it didn't break the bank which is handy. Digital SLR cameras are NOT cheap and not all have wireless remote/zoom, though some now have phone apps that do it over blutooth. Also, the camcorder has a flip out screen, some DSLR cams now have a flip out screen, but again, pricey by comparison. Just keep an eye on ebay and you can find a great deal on an HD camera with real glass and a real lense, flip out view screen and remote control. It's still the best bang for the buck imho and has a very smooth frame rate for fast playing.

Shot with my ebay cam.

QUOTE (Roadside @ Aug 12 2017, 03:53 PM) *

I guess I will have to upgrade. Check out the recording quality of that 20$ cam.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:40 AM