Quick Licks #59 4 String Traverse Alternate Picking Shred Lick
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2018, 07:42 PM
GMC:er
THERE IS NO SPEED REQUIREMENT IN QUICK LICKS. PLAY THIS AT ANY SPEED YOU LIKE.

LET"S SHRED!!!!!! In this Quick Licks we Traverse 4 Strings while alternate picking. This is a "Shred Lick" you can work up some serious speed!!! You don't have to play it fast for your vid, just keep it as part of your warm up/practice routine and speed will happen with practice. Feel free to try the Ben Higgins approach and do the lick in bursts, e.g. first 3 notes, then first 4, etc. as a fast run and keep adding to it. Don't give up on working with a metronome though as being able to play "in time" is critical to being a good musician and folks that can play to a beat/click/drum, are people who can actually play.

*NOTE: As always, try Keep it smooth and under control. If you find you are losing control, slow down just a pinch. If you want to add one take where you are pushing the edge for speed and get a bit wonky, that's perfectly fine.

Attached File  59.gp5 ( 1.92K ) Number of downloads: 19769

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: Keep a solid palm mute and don't let your picking get loose!

Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Jan 2 2019, 08:01 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2019, 08:34 AM
Quick and Dirty is what Quick Licks is all about!!! Get in, get out, learn a new lick. It's the foundation of what this program is for. You have been doing great at this. You clearly can play all of these and y you pick them up quick!! You have picked them up quicker than anyone else and that's why you are the TOP DAWG!!!! Several of this licks are just flat out difficult. This is one of them and you blisteringly tore it up!!!! As with all of these, your missing a note here or there but that's fine. This isn't Bootcamp or REC. It's QUICK LICKS!!!! So keep it quick and dirty and keep marching on!!! You just KRUSHED it again and ...

LEVELED UP!!!!!
*You remain our TOP DAWG in Quick Licks and are the Highest Ranking GMC MemberEVER. Let me repeat that, EVER!!!!! In Quick Licks. smile.gif Congrats!!!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Jan 2 2019, 03:01 PM) *

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2019, 07:47 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 30 2019, 03:29 AM
WOW!! The lick was perfect. Best I've seen yet. Then you added your own improv to it that matched the lick. That was the icing on the cake. A killer bit of playing that matched perfectly. Super well done on this one. It was TOIGHT!!!!!!
You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 19 2019, 02:47 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 28 2019, 09:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge, sorry I choked the vibrato at the end rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/EI6xaq9wgrk

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 28 2019, 09:59 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2019, 03:09 AM
NICE! This is is non stop traverse and non stop back and forth. It's honestly probably too hard for quick licks. It's one of my fave licks so I thought I'd share it. It's one of the first things I was able to "shred". I took it in small chunks. I practiced each chunk till I could play it fast then I hooked them all up and BAM, my first shreddy lick. I was shocked when it all came together. It gave me the idea of breaking big licks down to small licks. Same lessons works in life of course, taking a big impossible task and breaking it down in to small tasks. Guitar is a great metaphor for life imho. Then again poker players see life as a big poker game smile.gif E.G. fate/hand your dealt, guts/bluffing, discernment/when to fold. etc. Sports folks tend to see life as a big game, lots of sports metaphors. I guess it just depends what we focus on. well played you just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 28 2019, 04:59 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge, sorry I choked the vibrato at the end rolleyes.gif

https://youtu.be/EI6xaq9wgrk

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 7 2021, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2021, 07:09 AM
That's the stuff!! This is a great lick to work up speed as the back and forth aspect makes it sound like you are playing far more notes than you actually are. It's a modified Paul Gilbert style lick. Taking the typical racer x back and forth lick and moving it through several strings instead of just playing it on two strings. It's a tricky lick for sure. It's easy for the fingers to get confused in the middle. You played it well and I can see you are pushing the edge!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 6 2021, 08:08 PM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:28 AM