32 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Feb 20 2019, 11:29 PM
Learning Roadie
42 is the answer to the life and everything in the universe!

The first video consists of the tabbed drills and the second one is the second part: somewhat-improvised scale run in D minor. And a small bonus of something I've been trying to learn lately smile.gif

I must say I fell in love with the tension which augmented 7th creates while leading to the Tonic. Please, excuse me for using it, it was out of scale.

I'm slowly learning Harmonic minor and Phrygian major scales when I finish my usual practice and there's still some time. Please, excuse me for using it, though it was out of scale. Do you know any exercises and/or drills on a beginner's level that could help me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2019, 07:30 AM
GMC:er
Soldier your scale work is spot on!! The only problem is that I can't hear the backing track in your solo vid! Without being able to hear the backing I have no idea what you are playing over which part of the backing and so I can't really critique it. sad.gif I need to hear you and the backing track so that I can tell what you are playing over which part. Otherwise I won't know if it's in key or not or in time or not, or anything sadly. Any method of recording will work, even a cell phone, web cam, anything at all that lets me hear you and the backing. Once more in to the breach Soldier! Your first vid is great! No need for a redo on that.

As for lessons that might help, I'd say take a look at our EXOTIC SCALES lessons. They cover wads of killer scales that you don't run in to every day. Here is the link!!https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser.../Exotic-Scales/
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 20 2019, 06:29 PM) *
42 is the answer to the life and everything in the universe!

The first video consists of the tabbed drills and the second one is the second part: somewhat-improvised scale run in D minor. And a small bonus of something I've been trying to learn lately smile.gif

I must say I fell in love with the tension which augmented 7th creates while leading to the Tonic. Please, excuse me for using it, it was out of scale.

I'm slowly learning Harmonic minor and Phrygian major scales when I finish my usual practice and there's still some time. Please, excuse me for using it, though it was out of scale. Do you know any exercises and/or drills on a beginner's level that could help me?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 21 2019, 06:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's another one. I tried syncing it with the mix the best I could. I hope that turned out well.

Thank you for the link to scales course. I'll try that and let you know how it goes smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Feb 22 2019, 12:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 22 2019, 04:46 AM
Well fought Soldier! Your first vid shows yours up to snuff on your technique and the second vid here shows that you are getting a good handle on applying the bits to creating a solo. The entire point of all of this after is to give you the skills to be able to express yourself musically. The most important thing you can do, is practice creating solos to backing tracks imho. There are wads of backing tracks on youtube and wads of tracks in the REC program that work great for just this purpose. Try to spend just a pinch of time each day putting on a backing, and play just a bit of improvisation soloing. It's the only way to get better at being a lead player, e.g. actually playing lead guitar. smile.gif

This debrief is a little different as this Mission is a bit different. It's more of a conversation than a bullet list. Your technique is coming along really well soldier. Picking, muting, synch, it's all there. These are the building blocks of being able to play solos. Your solo is well built and well played. A couple of pointers on soloing. Try to add in some spots where you make use of bends and make use of vibrato. Try to land on a root note now and then and let it ring with vibrato. Try to add in some more hammering, maybe harmonics, open strings, etc. Just things to create variation in the solo. A solo, like a song, should build to a climax. So starting off slow and building speed lets it raise tension over time. Holding out whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, playing two note quasi chord licks, bends etc. all come together to build a solo. This is something that simply takes time. Once you have have the mechanics under your belt you are of to a good start and you are clearly off to a good start!

Here is the collab vid that this backing track comes from. It's got GMCers doing very spiff bits over the backing and it's worth a watch to see how they interpreted the backing. Keep this backing as a practice bit. Record yourself soloing over it to see your progress over time.

In short, well played and you are making amazing progress! Keep this up and the Never Before Granted GRAND MASTER 400 Badge will be yours!! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 21 2019, 01:52 PM) *
Here's another one. I tried syncing it with the mix the best I could. I hope that turned out well.

Thank you for the link to scales course. I'll try that and let you know how it goes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 22 2019, 08:47 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 22 2019, 04:46 AM) *
Well fought Soldier! Your first vid shows yours up to snuff on your technique and the second vid here shows that you are getting a good handle on applying the bits to creating a solo. The entire point of all of this after is to give you the skills to be able to express yourself musically. The most important thing you can do, is practice creating solos to backing tracks imho. There are wads of backing tracks on youtube and wads of tracks in the REC program that work great for just this purpose. Try to spend just a pinch of time each day putting on a backing, and play just a bit of improvisation soloing. It's the only way to get better at being a lead player, e.g. actually playing lead guitar. smile.gif

This debrief is a little different as this Mission is a bit different. It's more of a conversation than a bullet list. Your technique is coming along really well soldier. Picking, muting, synch, it's all there. These are the building blocks of being able to play solos. Your solo is well built and well played. A couple of pointers on soloing. Try to add in some spots where you make use of bends and make use of vibrato. Try to land on a root note now and then and let it ring with vibrato. Try to add in some more hammering, maybe harmonics, open strings, etc. Just things to create variation in the solo. A solo, like a song, should build to a climax. So starting off slow and building speed lets it raise tension over time. Holding out whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, playing two note quasi chord licks, bends etc. all come together to build a solo. This is something that simply takes time. Once you have have the mechanics under your belt you are of to a good start and you are clearly off to a good start!

Here is the collab vid that this backing track comes from. It's got GMCers doing very spiff bits over the backing and it's worth a watch to see how they interpreted the backing. Keep this backing as a practice bit. Record yourself soloing over it to see your progress over time.

In short, well played and you are making amazing progress! Keep this up and the Never Before Granted GRAND MASTER 400 Badge will be yours!! You just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

I had a hunch it was a something like old power metal ballad! smile.gif The original collab looks great and there's something to learn from it too! I yet need to learn to use harmonics in a creative way to ornament the playing and changing pace is something I thought about but I wasn't sure if I could do it well and still pass the lesson.

Here's my next one, a quickie before the work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2019, 06:38 AM
You are in the Thick of the fighting Soldier! These are finger twisting lessons and you are just chewing through it!! I don't know if you realize how well you are playing these complicated bits. If you would have tried these drills on your first Mission, it would have been tough. You've come a long way. NONE of these are easy. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

TRICKY PICKING: You nailed it Soldier. The picking on this is very very tricky indeed.

SPIFF SYNCH: The tricky picking can make your synch drift, but not here!!! Not you!!Spot on.

TRAVERSE GALORE: This entire mission is one big String Traverse Drill. It gives ample chance for the fingers to lose track of which string is being picked/fretted. If there are gaps in your Traverse, this would show them. Good news. Smooth as glass!!

In short, you FREAKING KRUSHED IT!!!!!!! and..

LEVLED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 22 2019, 03:47 PM) *
I had a hunch it was a something like old power metal ballad! smile.gif The original collab looks great and there's something to learn from it too! I yet need to learn to use harmonics in a creative way to ornament the playing and changing pace is something I thought about but I wasn't sure if I could do it well and still pass the lesson.

Here's my next one, a quickie before the work.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 23 2019, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's 44. I wasn't sure if I need to use the backing track in final video or not, so I did both versions.

Could you take a look on my improvisation in Mission 42 and tell me if what I did in the later part was sweeping? I'm just curious. At this point I understand it will be easier to master sweeping later, after I take time to learn its actual foundations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2019, 05:18 AM
Well Fought!!! I enjoyed your Solo! The more Soloing, the better!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR
PICKED CLEAN: Solid Picking Soldier!! You are developing a very strong picking technique, which is great to see!!
SMOOTH AS SILK: Not rushing or lagging, smooth and in the zone!!PICKING WHILE MUTED: This is one of the hardest things both to teach and to learn. Super Congrats, you have managed it. It's at the heart of my very own style and you show a great deal of promise using it here!

I saw your question about SWEEPING. What you did was sort of like sweeping. One can play an arpeggio without it being a sweep picking lick. Sweep picking is typically done using a series of down and up strokes. E.G. Sweep Picking. Dragging the pick along in one direction. There are some sweep picking drills in our upcoming missions. It's a technique worth learning to be sure.
In short you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 23 2019, 06:03 PM) *
Here's 44. I wasn't sure if I need to use the backing track in final video or not, so I did both versions.

Could you take a look on my improvisation in Mission 42 and tell me if what I did in the later part was sweeping? I'm just curious. At this point I understand it will be easier to master sweeping later, after I take time to learn its actual foundations.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 24 2019, 05:19 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 25 2019, 03:12 AM
Learning Roadie
I just realized I'm halfway there!

Lately I need more time to do the daily missions. They are more challenging than before and that's good! Sometimes, like today, I thought about skipping the day because I was really tired after all day at work. But I have those two big posters of Jason Becker on the wall and they reminded me that not even ALS was enough to can stop Jason from composing music. So who am I to complain about being tired? Making excuses won't get me anywhere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 25 2019, 04:50 PM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!! Jason Becker is truly an inspiration. As you say, even ALS could not stop him. Even to this day he is making amazing music and living as an inspiration to us all. Let's Debrief!
These are some of the toughest Missions in the bunch Soldier. You do yourself proud by pushing through these. Each one pushes you to learn new things and ways of playing. Also each one has several parts so it's only natural for it to take a bit of time to work through. The good news is that are indeed about half way to the big 1oo!!! Keep it up Soldier and you will be there before you know it!

Let's debrief....
MEDALS OF HONOR

RIGHT HAND CONTROL: Without good right hand control, the pull off bit starts getting soaked in extra string noise. Not so with you. Your right hand stays firm and helps kill any unwanted noise so well done there.

FINGER POWER: Being able to do Hammer ons is the entire point of the first two bits. Good news is you have developed some very good finger power. You killed it!

PRECISION IN TRAVERSE: The third bit is non stop string traverse in a very tight pattern. Miss one note and the entire thing starts to fall to bits. As there are no gaps in the timing, one off note sticks out. Good news here is that you were very precise in your picking and fretting so it worked great

This is NOT an easy Mission, it's got a lot of parts and all of them require solid work. You nailed it! Congrats you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 24 2019, 10:12 PM) *
I just realized I'm halfway there!

Lately I need more time to do the daily missions. They are more challenging than before and that's good! Sometimes, like today, I thought about skipping the day because I was really tired after all day at work. But I have those two big posters of Jason Becker on the wall and they reminded me that not even ALS was enough to can stop Jason from composing music. So who am I to complain about being tired? Making excuses won't get me anywhere.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 26 2019, 01:11 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 25 2019, 04:50 PM) *
These are some of the toughest Missions in the bunch Soldier. You do yourself proud by pushing through these. Each one pushes you to learn new things and ways of playing. Also each one has several parts so it's only natural for it to take a bit of time to work through. The good news is that are indeed about half way to the big 1oo!!! Keep it up Soldier and you will be there before you know it!

I meant to say I'm halfway to Yoncopin's score but he's close to 100 too smile.gif

I wanted to ask something for a while now but I kept forgetting. Let's say I do an almost perfect run and accidentally hit the string I shouldn't (I mean only once, not few times). Would it be a fail because I shouldn't do it in the first place or would it be a pass because I managed to mute it instantly and keep on playing without changing pace etc. ?

The open string lick was hard to get used to. I'm so used to minor tonality, it sounded off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2019, 06:36 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! The licks in this one go well with the backing track. Grab the backing and use it as a test bed for your solo work. I created a lead track that has a bit of VAI in it and it's still one of my fave tracks.
This demo track is at the very bottom of the lesson and I just now put it up top as a soundcloud link for preview.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/guitar-rock-ii-in-the-style-of
Let's debrief!!

As for your question, if I notice anything out of place, and it sticks out enough for me to actually notice, I usually will have a Soldier go back and at least re do that bit over again. Make sense?

MEDALS OF HONOR

PRECISION: Playing with precision is the only goal of this entire affair and it's great to see you playing with more and more precision each time you do a mission. The speed will happen by itself if you just stay focused on precision! You do have to push it though as progress happens at the edge of ones ability. Not in the comfort zone.

NOISE CONTROL: Despite using some distortion, I don't hear any unwanted string noise. Very well done on that. Adding gain makes any extra string noise show up and requires muting to be on point!

DEXTERITY: You the both licks with precision and dexterity making fine use of the weakest finger, THE PINKY! Developing PINKY POWER is just critical. Great to see you playing with the pinky on lower frets instead of trying to stretch the third finger!

P.S. You are getting very close to your next Chevron Strip on your Badge!

In short you just...

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 25 2019, 08:11 PM) *
I meant to say I'm halfway to Yoncopin's score but he's close to 100 too smile.gif

I wanted to ask something for a while now but I kept forgetting. Let's say I do an almost perfect run and accidentally hit the string I shouldn't (I mean only once, not few times). Would it be a fail because I shouldn't do it in the first place or would it be a pass because I managed to mute it instantly and keep on playing without changing pace etc. ?

The open string lick was hard to get used to. I'm so used to minor tonality, it sounded off.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 26 2019, 06:37 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 27 2019, 02:28 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2019, 06:36 AM) *
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! The licks in this one go well with the backing track. Grab the backing and use it as a test bed for your solo work. I created a lead track that has a bit of VAI in it and it's still one of my fave tracks.
This demo track is at the very bottom of the lesson and I just now put it up top as a soundcloud link for preview.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/guitar-rock-ii-in-the-style-of
Let's debrief!!

As for your question, if I notice anything out of place, and it sticks out enough for me to actually notice, I usually will have a Soldier go back and at least re do that bit over again. Make sense?

I like this track and I tried jamming over it but at my current level... I think I need to get better. Kris makes it look so easy when he's shredding over tracks in similar speed during his live streams but he's got years of experience I'm lacking. Nevertheless, this mission was surely a nice experience! smile.gif

About my question. Your answer is pretty much what I thought you'd say but it's also understandable. After all, we should learn to avoid mistakes, not cover them up.

On to the next mission!

It was the toughest and the most extreme drill so far but I'm glad I came across it this early, at about 10% of all the Bootcamp. I'll get to start practicing it sooner and by the time I'm required to do such stretches more often, I will be able to. I hope they won't appear too often until I'm ready to.

Honestly, after 5 minutes of attempting to play the 5-12 part I thought I won't make it. THat I should call it a day, take a break today and start tomorrow much earlier. But I don't want to lag behind the schedule and eventually I did it. My hand was really sore after this.
Playing thumbless also was quite demanding but I imagine it will become effortless with some practice, a good investment. I didn't focus on speed this time, just playing it clean.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Feb 27 2019, 02:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2019, 06:16 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! Near the half way point to triple digits, there are some really challenging Missions, like this one. The good news is you attacked it and made it yours! The stretch in this one is extreme. Are you doing the warm up stretches that are in the stretch warmup video that I link in my lessons? Doing your stretches every day is a great to work on your flexibility. I've been doing my stretches every day for years and as you can see in the video, it's really helped my flexibility and my reach. Just like guitar, getting flexible takes time and repetition. Here is the vid in question.

Let's Debrief!!...
MEDALS OF HONOR

CLEAN EXECUTION: Despite the flurry of picking, I don't hear any random string noise. You keep everything high and tight and well muted!

ASSASSIN GRADE PRECISION: Speed is a byproduct of precision and your playing in a very precise manner here.

SYNCH, SYNCH, SYNCH: In this one, you can't miss one strike without it being very obvious. Good news is you don't miss strikes!

LEVELED UP!!!
**(You are only 3 Missions away from the much Vaunted, RARELY given FOUR CHEVRON BADGE!)

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 26 2019, 09:28 PM) *
I like this track and I tried jamming over it but at my current level... I think I need to get better. Kris makes it look so easy when he's shredding over tracks in similar speed during his live streams but he's got years of experience I'm lacking. Nevertheless, this mission was surely a nice experience! smile.gif

About my question. Your answer is pretty much what I thought you'd say but it's also understandable. After all, we should learn to avoid mistakes, not cover them up.

On to the next mission!

It was the toughest and the most extreme drill so far but I'm glad I came across it this early, at about 10% of all the Bootcamp. I'll get to start practicing it sooner and by the time I'm required to do such stretches more often, I will be able to. I hope they won't appear too often until I'm ready to.

Honestly, after 5 minutes of attempting to play the 5-12 part I thought I won't make it. THat I should call it a day, take a break today and start tomorrow much earlier. But I don't want to lag behind the schedule and eventually I did it. My hand was really sore after this.
Playing thumbless also was quite demanding but I imagine it will become effortless with some practice, a good investment. I didn't focus on speed this time, just playing it clean.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 27 2019, 06:17 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 27 2019, 11:28 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 27 2019, 06:16 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! Near the half way point to triple digits, there are some really challenging Missions, like this one. The good news is you attacked it and made it yours! The stretch in this one is extreme. Are you doing the warm up stretches that are in the stretch warmup video that I link in my lessons? Doing your stretches every day is a great to work on your flexibility. I've been doing my stretches every day for years and as you can see in the video, it's really helped my flexibility and my reach. Just like guitar, getting flexible takes time and repetition. Here is the vid in question.

I'm doing the stretches quite often - not only before playing guitar but also while driving (waiting for the green lights, of course) or while walking or in the classroom. It's just this one exercise was really a tough one. I've noticed some improvement already, but as you say, it needs time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2019, 06:32 AM
Good Fight Soldier!!! This is one of tough ones to be sure. You showed grit and toughness here soldier. Let's Debrief!!.....

MEDALS OF HONOR

TIMING TIMING: All of these licks are built to show you if there are any gaps/problems in your timing. There is a distinct LACK of space between notes, demanding that you get to the next spot, without any kind of gap or hand reset. This is to encourage you to find a 'center strategy" with your right hand which you have done quite well!
PRECISION PRECISION:
I have noticed that you have been playing in a very precise manner for quite some time now and it's great to see. Without precision, the rest of it falls apart.

PICKING AND OR TAPPING: Whether picking, or tapping, you have very good right/left hand synch and very tight picking. Also, nicely muted through out which is also key. In short, YOU ARE GETTING IT!!!!

You are very close to your next CHEVRON badge. You are already in rare air my friend. Very few folks make it this far. You are doing great and making amazing progress. Keep it up!!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
Todd

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 27 2019, 06:28 PM) *
I'm doing the stretches quite often - not only before playing guitar but also while driving (waiting for the green lights, of course) or while walking or in the classroom. It's just this one exercise was really a tough one. I've noticed some improvement already, but as you say, it needs time.

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 1 2019, 02:29 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm really sorry about your loss. I'm not even sure what to say but if I can be of any help, just feel free to talk to me. I'll pray for you, that's probably all I can do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 1 2019, 05:41 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! This is PACKED with very hard tapping bits. It requires you to go way beyond the VanHalen type of tapping. Add these licks to your bag of tricks and pull them out in your next solo!! let's Debrief!..

MEDALS OF HONOR

PUSHING TO TARGET: You attacked this lesson, in all it's complexity and made it your B***H! Score.

*PRECISION REIGNS: With Four Note tapping sequences, especially involving open strings, any gap in playing or any pull / tap that's not quite right sticks out like a sore thumb. Good news is you nailed it!
PULLING TO OPEN: Pulling off to an open string is something that some folks struggle with, if this gave you pause, you sure didn't show it here. You RAWKED through the mission with aggressive style.

Thank you for thinking of me concerning the loss of my Father. It's been hard. It's going to be hard for a while. But, as they say, "The show must go on".

You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 28 2019, 09:29 PM) *
I'm really sorry about your loss. I'm not even sure what to say but if I can be of any help, just feel free to talk to me. I'll pray for you, that's probably all I can do.

+Quote Post
Adam
Mar 1 2019, 11:33 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 1 2019, 05:41 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!!! This is PACKED with very hard tapping bits. It requires you to go way beyond the VanHalen type of tapping. Add these licks to your bag of tricks and pull them out in your next solo!! let's Debrief!..

This one was really demanding a lot of focus to hit the right note in the right moment but overall, I think legato drills are much harder for me. Today's mission was like a moonlight walk on the verge of insanity! But I am my own enemy in this Bootcamp and the only way to win is by attacking the weak spots. I do notice more endurance and stretchiness already - Mission 51's pattern was easier than few days ago but I still had to maintain focus. Playing it thumbless made the whole thing easier, I think. To me the "classical" position is a default choice, I play this way from the very beginning but now I know why it's the thing. I didn't think it's about wrist tension.

Now, about Mission 50, I didn't play it 100% clean. I don't know if it's possible for a beginner like me, maybe someone did it before. I tried finding the balance between muting string noise and not muting them completely which was really hard too without a pick. I do hope it's clean enough to pass. I was tempted to use a hairband after an hour of practice but I didn't!
I thought at first that since it's a legato drill, meant to improve legato's endurance and strength it's logical to use more force when hammering the notes but I remembered what you said earlier about playing thumbless etc. and I tried using as little force as I could instead. Well, it worked!

I'm posting vid for Mission 51 too. Tomorrow I'm spending all day at work and I go to Metallica concert straight from there. I'm glad I remembered it early enough because if I didn't start recording sooner, I wouldn't be able to do 2 videos. If I pass number 50, could you take a look at 51 and tell me if it'll be okay?

PS. He makes it look so easy but maybe I'll at least get closer to such mastery in 1 year of daily practice in the Bootcamp. That's not just pickless or thumbless. It's a completely different level of playing!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Mar 1 2019, 11:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 2 2019, 06:39 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! These two Missions ARE FLAT OUT HARD. I'm glad you embraced the THUMBLESS Technique. It can really make a big difference on certain licks. It helps train the hand not to "over do it" when clamping down and use too much pressure. Also, your left hand work is just fine. You are using very little distortion so it sounds like it should sound. I can hear the strikes with your left hand which is what I"m looking for. Both vids look good.

Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

TUFF BY DESIGN: This lesson is designed to make you work your bum off in terms of your LEFT HAND. It forces you to play a complex, reversing, pattern, using only the power in your fingers. NO PICKS ALLOWED once you get past the first bit. This one makes lesser men weep. Well played!
THUMBLESS: One of the hardest things for some folks to get a handle on is playing without their thumb connected to the neck in any way. Some folks can do it, some folks really struggle. Either way it's not natural, especially at first. Once you get it, it's a great way to reduce the pressure from your hand and focus on the fingers. Score!

PRECISION: These Missions are all about precision. Especially in a lesson like this where even one mistake will blow the entire thing. There is nowhere to hide when you can't pick, and you can't even use your thumb!! Any mistake is glaringly obvious. Good news is you didn't make any!

In short Soldier, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

One more to your next Chevron Stripe!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Mar 1 2019, 06:33 PM) *
This one was really demanding a lot of focus to hit the right note in the right moment but overall, I think legato drills are much harder for me. Today's mission was like a moonlight walk on the verge of insanity! But I am my own enemy in this Bootcamp and the only way to win is by attacking the weak spots. I do notice more endurance and stretchiness already - Mission 51's pattern was easier than few days ago but I still had to maintain focus. Playing it thumbless made the whole thing easier, I think. To me the "classical" position is a default choice, I play this way from the very beginning but now I know why it's the thing. I didn't think it's about wrist tension.

Now, about Mission 50, I didn't play it 100% clean. I don't know if it's possible for a beginner like me, maybe someone did it before. I tried finding the balance between muting string noise and not muting them completely which was really hard too without a pick. I do hope it's clean enough to pass. I was tempted to use a hairband after an hour of practice but I didn't!
I thought at first that since it's a legato drill, meant to improve legato's endurance and strength it's logical to use more force when hammering the notes but I remembered what you said earlier about playing thumbless etc. and I tried using as little force as I could instead. Well, it worked!

I'm posting vid for Mission 51 too. Tomorrow I'm spending all day at work and I go to Metallica concert straight from there. I'm glad I remembered it early enough because if I didn't start recording sooner, I wouldn't be able to do 2 videos. If I pass number 50, could you take a look at 51 and tell me if it'll be okay?

PS. He makes it look so easy but maybe I'll at least get closer to such mastery in 1 year of daily practice in the Bootcamp. That's not just pickless or thumbless. It's a completely different level of playing!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 2 2019, 06:39 AM

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:50 PM