Raking Problem
Phil66
Aug 14 2016, 09:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,
I'm working on part of THIS lesson and I'm struggling to get the rakes to sound right. I know the concept of how to do them but mine sound like a mistake rather than a nice percussive sound.

Any tips?

Cheers folks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2016, 01:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm sure both Todd and Gabriel will ask this too:

Do you have a video so we can see your technique? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2016, 02:14 PM
Thanks Ben,

Yeah I'll record one tonight, I was finishing off my session last night when I decided to ask.

Cheers

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 15 2016, 01:19 PM) *

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 15 2016, 02:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ben had a good example in one of his vids a while back -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4aOiTOQNzE

about 1:28 for the Raking part.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2016, 03:00 PM
Thanks Scott,
I'll have a look later. Mine sounds more like when you try to play your first ever chord.
Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2016, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2016, 04:00 PM) *
Thanks Scott,
I'll have a look later. Mine sounds more like when you try to play your first ever chord.
Cheers

laugh.gif

That had me laughing a lot.

For me it's about muting way more "in" on the strings than I would usually to dampen the strings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 15 2016, 05:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 15 2016, 03:00 PM) *
Thanks Scott,
Cheers

I feel your pain biggrin.gif
Im a bit hit or miss with rakes myself tbh. Im working on one of Chris' blues lessons and there are a couple of ridiculously good rakes in it which Im about a mile off cool.gif
I used to mute the strings more with my picking hand but after watching bens video I changed to the other hand and Ive gotten a lot better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 15 2016, 05:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (bleez @ Aug 15 2016, 06:21 PM) *
I feel your pain biggrin.gif
Im a bit hit or miss with rakes myself tbh. Im working on one of Chris' blues lessons and there are a couple of ridiculously good rakes in it which Im about a mile off cool.gif
I used to mute the strings more with my picking hand but after watching bens video I changed to the other hand and Ive gotten a lot better.

Doesn't Ben say to actually mute with your picking hand though?

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 15 2016, 06:13 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 15 2016, 05:57 PM) *
Doesn't Ben say to actually mute with your picking hand though?

yeah sorry, I typed it round the wrong way. I meant to say I now mute with my picking hand smile.gif
Also, I dont seem to know my right hand from my left rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 15 2016, 07:48 PM
Ello folks,
I'm not going to have time to do a video this evening, got in late from work so got to get my practise in.
I am using my picking hand to mute the strings but must not have the right angle or something. I can do them ok if I use my left hand BUT, this piece has bends immediately after the rake so I need my fingers on the strings ready to bend. Also it looks a better way to do it using the picking hand.

I'll try soon, I have to record a video for Gab on Wednesday so I'll link it here.

Gotta bolt, only going to manage one hour tonight sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 7 2016, 08:33 AM
Instructor
Video is necessary, otherwise we have no idea what could have gone wrong in your rakign execution smile.gif Just a phone video would be enough but try to capture both hands smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 7 2016, 09:46 PM
Thanks Darius,

I've moved onto another lesson but I will try to find time to shoot a video of me trying. It's just as easy for me to use a video camera than a phone and the quality is better, my current phone doesn't have good video, I shattered the screen on my best phone and have had to go back to my older one.

Cheers dude smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2016, 12:53 AM
GMC:er
It's like your a Psychic Ben smile.gif As a matter of fact, a video is always helpful smile.gif Trying to diagnose playing issues without seeing them is mostly a guessing game.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 15 2016, 08:19 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:34 PM