Musical Theory Refrence, Any recomendations?
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 11 2007, 04:47 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Can anyone recommend a definitive musical theory book? I'm thinking of something about 5 inches thick that I can put on my bookshelf to impress people, but more importantly that I can dip into whenever something surfaces that I am clueless about - not a beginners guide kind of thing, I want all of the ugly details!

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tank
Feb 11 2007, 10:12 PM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 11 2007, 05:47 PM) *
Can anyone recommend a definitive musical theory book? I'm thinking of something about 5 inches thick that I can put on my bookshelf to impress people, but more importantly that I can dip into whenever something surfaces that I am clueless about - not a beginners guide kind of thing, I want all of the ugly details!

Thanks

I don't know about sitting on the shelf, but there's a free (legally) downloadable ebook called "A Reference For Jazz Theory" which I thoroughly recommend. It can be downloaded here

(pdf link) Reference for Jazz Theory (Right Click "Save target as...)

EDIT: Just to add slightly, this is obviously geared towards Jazz, but a lot of the information is very relevant if you are trying to solo in a melodic rock style, I'd consider that if you eventually were able to read, digest and incorporate the information out of this reference, you'd be far above batchelor degree level for playing guitar.

/T

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tank: Feb 11 2007, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 11 2007, 10:20 PM
That looks about what I was looking for - thanks again Tank!

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Feb 12 2007, 07:01 PM
GMC:er
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...21714&itm=5

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 12 2007, 08:05 PM
QUOTE (Mark Schiewe @ Feb 12 2007, 01:01 PM) *

Thanks Mark - that whole series looks really cool!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:55 PM