First Tube Amp: Hot Plate?
Ttask
Mar 16 2008, 10:50 AM
GMC:er
Hello there!

I've been playing with a Line6 Spider III for about one year and a half, and it is a good amp, but now I'm starting to find the sound a little bit "artificial" and as my first payroll approaches, I'm thinking of buying a new amp, this time a tube amp. I was looking at Marshall's Vintage Modern series, the 2266c comco in particular, which has a veru good reputation and just fits in the budget I set. Still, since I have never played with a tube amp yet, I have a few questions that might seem stupid, but I am really lost with all the technical stuff:

* I've read that with a low volume, tube amps don't sound good. The main purpose of my new amp would be to play at home, even though I also want to be able to use it elsewhere. Is the loss really significant?

* I've just heard about the THD Hotplate, which appears to be a device used to reduce the volume of a tube amp while keeping the benefit of a cranked up master volume. Does it really work well? Also, that might be a stupid question, but if I am supposed to put the hot plate between the amp and the cabinet, is it possible to use it on a combo amp, like the 2266c?

I'm asking this because it is really hard for me to go to a guitar store with my agenda and so I'd like to know as much as possible before I go to the store. Thanks in advance for your advices!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rvddps
Mar 16 2008, 11:10 AM
tube amps dont sound bad when low, but they dont retain their natural sound when they're cranked. A hotplate will help alot, but mainly for poweramp distortion, ie classic rock, and not preamp distortion, ie metal. And yeah, you can use a hotplate with the combo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 16 2008, 12:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you go for a THD make sure that you get one that is the correct impedance for the amp. Also make sure you connect using speaker cable with jack to jack and not a standard guitar cable.

I use a THD btw and it pretty much does what it says on the tin. A couple of things to be aware of though - 1) it can suck some of the tone, so you may need to adjust your eq a bit, and 2) you'll probably reduce the life of your tubes as you'll be running them 'hot'/cranked much more then you would at a low volume setting.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 16 2008, 05:33 PM
Instructor
Great tips Tony, good to know that! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
yell03
Mar 18 2008, 11:40 AM
I just picked up a Hybrid Class A 5w Tube Amp, hybrid meaning it also has digital effects and I think built in non-tube distortion you can use over top of the Tube distortion, sort of like running a distortion pedal through a tube amp.

It is a Fender Vibro Champ XD and it sells for around $249, they also make a 15w Super Champ XD for $299 which seems to run an additional Tube Only channel independent of the 16 Amp voicings you must select on the Vibro Champ.

For me, I just wanted a compact 5w amp I could use at home and crank the volume to get the tubes cooking, but the effects and additional distortion were a plus for me. It has a nice sound at low & medium volumes thnaks to the additonal gain control unlike plain jane Class A Tube amps.

I tried a few Plain Jane 5w Class A tube amps by Gretsch, Epiphone, and a Fender Champion, but their sounds although nice were one dimensional.

The one I have only has a small 8" speaker and even the Super Champ only has a 10", IMO this does not allow that pumping bass drive, but for lead work it sounds great.

I don't know if this is something you might want to look at, but it just gives you an option.

Howard

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:51 PM