Not Always Rock Or Metal - Collaborating With Bands / Singers
Darius Wave
May 13 2013, 04:52 PM
Instructor
Hi there GMC team smile.gif

Today I want to share a brand new video clip from Magda Wasylik - very young and talented singer. She starts her individual career with this first ever clip which I was invited to "fake the solo" smile.gif Solo in this song was played by a friend who seems to have familiar taste as for the note choices and anyway I play with her in the live band. Sometimes it'a cool to play something different even if usually I seem to be addicted to more heavy playing smile.gif

Here is the clip:

And here is one of Our performances live:

How about You? How many of You guys are pure rock / metal but do some pop stuff with other artists ?smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Darius Wave: May 13 2013, 04:53 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
May 13 2013, 05:04 PM
GMC:er
I would make a compromise and do a Metal stuff with Dark Ambiental - Gothic Artist cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: May 13 2013, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 14 2013, 01:24 PM
Instructor
I think that considering myself rocker would be wrong statement. I see myself as an individual who enjoys music in almost all its forms. Diversity is the source of inspiration and in my opinion, if you stay stuck to a style and act as an extremist musician, you can't come up with too many interesting things simply because... we live in an age where wheel has been invented a long time ago and you can't play a genuine style and be original anymore. Let other influences guide you on the road to building your personality as a musician and human being.

I like playing acoustic, country, funk, world/ethnic influenced music, classical and rock/metal all the same smile.gif There is beauty in everything, so why not enjoy it?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2013, 02:15 PM
Instructor
I like every style of music and I have played from extreme metal to pop. I don't feel uncomfortable when I play one style or the other, I like feeling and generating very different atmospheres with music. Also, working at the studio as a producer allows me to be part of many different projects and styles. The same happens with GMC lessons, I can go from Venom to Oasis. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 14 2013, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Yep being versatile is a good way of opening Your mind for different things in Your life...not only playing. No matter how many things we like to listen or play i think theat there is always on that has a bit more attention smile.gif It's like...what You play when You pick up Your guitar with no purpose ? Is it a coutry lick ?biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 14 2013, 03:25 PM
Every really good guitar player (musician) that I know, whether they employ it in on records or in their band, can play a different style of music other than what they're known for - and usually VERY well.
For example: Zakk Wylde is a really good banjo player. Andy Summers of the 'Police' likes to play jazz standards (very traditionally). Jerry Garcia of the 'Grateful Dead' did a lot of sessions on pedal steel. By all accounts JS Bach was an incredible improvisor. Hank Garland, Nashville session ace in the 50s and 60s (Elvis, Patsy Cline, etc.) had an alter ego as a very modern and influential jazz guitarist.
IMO, if you limit yourself to one style or genre you actually won't excel at that one style - because that one style comes from or evolves from MANY different things. I don't care how pure metal or pure jazz you are - both of those 'styles' of music are the product of various influences (and confluences) that came before them as well as developed alongside of them. Art doesn't happen in a vacuum.
Listen to Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin - the progenitors of heavy rock. To me, it sounds like they were into EVERYTHING.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 14 2013, 06:28 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 15 2013, 07:19 AM
Instructor
True words Ken and you are a good example as well - playing celtic rock and jazz!

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 14 2013, 01:21 PM) *
Yep being versatile is a good way of opening Your mind for different things in Your life...not only playing. No matter how many things we like to listen or play i think theat there is always on that has a bit more attention smile.gif It's like...what You play when You pick up Your guitar with no purpose ? Is it a coutry lick ?biggrin.gif

I think that when I pick it up, it all depends on the mood - for instance, in the last 2 months I have first and foremost picked up the acoustic guitar first and played acoustic versions of famous songs with the guitar and voice, before doing anything else.

Who knows what it'll be in 5 months from now? smile.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
May 15 2013, 03:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I may have got roped into playing Sertanejo (Brazilian Country music) with some Brazilian friends in a bar this Friday evening

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 15 2013, 09:13 PM
Cool stuff!! Thanks for sharing smile.gif I tend to lean towards Metalish bits but now and then I get called on to make a TECHNO track or do some MOVIE SOUNDTRACK WORK that's entirely different and that's always fun smile.gif It's great to push your playing in to new spaces and learn as you go.

Here is a bit I did for a documentary film for a pal of mine smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/soundtrack-work-inspiration

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2013, 07:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ May 15 2013, 02:50 PM) *
I may have got roped into playing Sertanejo (Brazilian Country music) with some Brazilian friends in a bar this Friday evening

Wow smile.gif that sounds interesting- care to share some more, good sir? smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 15 2013, 08:13 PM) *
Cool stuff!! Thanks for sharing smile.gif I tend to lean towards Metalish bits but now and then I get called on to make a TECHNO track or do some MOVIE SOUNDTRACK WORK that's entirely different and that's always fun smile.gif It's great to push your playing in to new spaces and learn as you go.

Here is a bit I did for a documentary film for a pal of mine smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/soundtrack-work-inspiration

Ahh, that one wink.gif I remember you telling the story as it was happening. Good work Todd!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 16 2013, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Yeah....that's always same awesomeness to try something new smile.gif I alos do not consider myself as a pure rock/metal player but I usually catch myself switch the channel to a distortion one and just playing some rock chops as a first thing smile.gif
Todd ...ha ha ...yep I triedsome dance techno things but more as a "joking of myslef" and redoing some of my or my bands stuff smile.gif Like in this one:

I went to buy some beer and something hit me to do remix of this ...just for fun, not PRO

Original:

https://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/jamming-cherry-kup-telewizor

Remix:

https://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/jamming-cherry-kup-telewizor-1

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 17 2013, 05:58 AM
Well spiff!!! I like the cool jazz vibe on the first one but I like the remix even better!! Each bit is unexpected. Very original stuff.

BTW I"ve been chatting via email with Huffster (great guitars and picks!) and can't wait to get some of his pics. Have you tried them out?

Todd

Todd
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 16 2013, 10:18 AM) *
Yeah....that's always same awesomeness to try something new smile.gif I alos do not consider myself as a pure rock/metal player but I usually catch myself switch the channel to a distortion one and just playing some rock chops as a first thing smile.gif
Todd ...ha ha ...yep I triedsome dance techno things but more as a "joking of myslef" and redoing some of my or my bands stuff smile.gif Like in this one:

I went to buy some beer and something hit me to do remix of this ...just for fun, not PRO

Original:

https://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/jamming-cherry-kup-telewizor

Remix:

https://soundcloud.com/dariuswave/jamming-cherry-kup-telewizor-1

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 17 2013, 09:16 AM
Instructor
Don't you just love it when you feel that creative force that allows you to change, move and transform everything, Darius and Todd? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
May 17 2013, 09:25 AM
I must admit..... I love music biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 17 2013, 01:50 PM
Instructor
Ha ha ha biggrin.gif Yeah...we just love the music the way it is smile.gif +1 for ya Cosmin smile.gif

Todd...those picks are the largets I've ever had in my hands...good for alternate picking on the high strings. Share You're impressions after You receive it smile.gif Patrick has a killer patience skills...doing picks with Your own hands damn....I would fail after doing the first one and then said "no more" biggrin.gif

The first track is one of my bands - Jamming Cherry....we do some mix of styles in this one. Sax player is blues based, keybord plays mainly jazz, bass player is a punk kind-a-guy, drummer is jazzy, vocalist is a pop-kins-a-girl smile.gif)) So now You see what happens when a few people like that come together smile.gif

We have a lot of fun on stage smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 17 2013, 04:44 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 16 2013, 09:58 PM) *
Well spiff!!! I like the cool jazz vibe on the first one but I like the remix even better!! Each bit is unexpected. Very original stuff.

Me too. Remix is super cool Darius!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 17 2013, 09:09 PM
Instructor
Thanx guys! Remix was very spontanious - I love to arrange strings sections! smile.gif I think I'm gonna make one of my originals only for the orchestra smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 18 2013, 12:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 17 2013, 08:09 PM) *
Thanx guys! Remix was very spontanious - I love to arrange strings sections! smile.gif I think I'm gonna make one of my originals only for the orchestra smile.gif

That would be awesome to hear!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:09 PM