Hello From British Columbia, any suggestions for me?- I am new to this site
GibsonSG Freak
May 1 2007, 06:53 AM
GMC:er
I just hit my midlife crisis and instead of a girlfriend or Corvette, I opted for a brand spanking new Gibson SG Standard - and got the green light from the wife!! Anyways, I have been playing guitar on and off for about 25 + years, though my ability plateaued years ago. I have developed a reasonable ability for hard rock rhythm ( stuff like ACDC, Iron Maiden, Van Halen). I am at the point where I want to develop a faster and more fluid style and be able to improvise.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for me as there are so many sections and different lessons.

Thanking you in advance.

ps: my lead sucks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 1 2007, 07:16 AM
QUOTE (GibsonSG Freak @ May 1 2007, 12:53 AM) *
I just hit my midlife crisis and instead of a girlfriend or Corvette, I opted for a brand spanking new Gibson SG Standard - and got the green light from the wife!! Anyways, I have been playing guitar on and off for about 25 + years, though my ability plateaued years ago. I have developed a reasonable ability for hard rock rhythm ( stuff like ACDC, Iron Maiden, Van Halen). I am at the point where I want to develop a faster and more fluid style and be able to improvise.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for me as there are so many sections and different lessons.

Thanking you in advance.

I did the same. I had not played in years. My first guitar last winter was a heritage SG standard. However I went nuts and got a few more (no wife, and my pets let me spend my money anyway I want, so long as it does not interfere with their treat allotment.)

I would figure it will take at least a year to learn all this stuff, and only if you work at it hard. When I got here I quickly looked at the beginners stuff (you should do that) and went to the exercises and techniques. But now I just do anything that looks good. Working on Eric Johnson now. Don't believe for a second he can tell what batteries he is using, although I expect he believes that.

I would just work on everything. Lots of good stuff, I don't think you need to go in any order (except when lessons are sequenced). I would look at the beginners stuff, quickly. For one thing he talks about the metronome. Those really work magic, I never realized that the did.

Now you need to talk your wife into a Strat. I like the SG, however not the best for pinch harmonics. You need a Strat also, she should understand the necessity.

My brother got a big motorcycle for his mid life crises present, she should be happy you did not do that and get killed. Unless you have a big insurance policy. smile.gif

Oh, two things I would get on right away are sweeps and squealing harmonics. The SG pickups are not the best for squealing harmonics, however with a proper device you can get them ok.

Also you learn a lot from reading the forum, or you get ideas. Today someone was talking about one of your countrymen, Neal Young. How he gets his unique electric sound. Nobody could say. But then I figured, well learn to play "Like a Hurricane" and I would understand it tolerable. You think of stuff like that by reading the forum.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: May 1 2007, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 1 2007, 07:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (GibsonSG Freak @ May 1 2007, 02:53 AM) *

Thanking you in advance.

Hi fkalich!! Welcome to GMC! YOu can find great technique lessons here. You could begin with the Pavel's legatos lesson, alternate picking lessons and sweep lessons.

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fkalich
May 1 2007, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 1 2007, 01:39 AM) *
Hi fkalich!! Welcome to GMC! YOu can find great technique lessons here. You could begin with the Pavel's legatos lesson, alternate picking lessons and sweep lessons.

gabriel.-

Thanks, but wrong guy. The original poster was GibsonSGFreak. I had the idea he was from British Columbia, not sure why now, maybe that is not correct.

Must be getting cold in Argentina now. Whichever way we go, you go the other of course. Learning your language btw. Work on it every day. I figure the USA is destined to be pretty much bilingual within 10 years, so learning it. Not so hard, pretty logical language. Except when you say "I don't do this never".

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 01:41 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (GibsonSG Freak @ May 1 2007, 01:53 AM) *

Thanking you in advance.

Hi there, and welcome! Fkalich Gabriel both made some great suggestions on where to start, I would also suggest you look at Kris' lesson on how to structure your practice sessions. Aimless practoce is as bad as no practice at all if you really want to nail this stuff and I sense you do!

Also, in addition to the Strat you will need an Ibanez RG for super fast shredding and Whammy Bar antics smile.gif

Just kidding, but there is something about this site that makes you appreciate other peoples gear then start lusting after it, so keep your wife happy, she doesn't yet realize how much you will want to spend on all of this stuff!

We'll see you in the forum - if you have any questions, just post 'em!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
kahall
May 2 2007, 02:43 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 1 2007, 07:41 AM) *

.... but there is something about this site that makes you appreciate other peoples gear then start lusting after it, so keep your wife happy, she doesn't yet realize how much you will want to spend on all of this stuff!

That is no joke for sure. Did I mention my nephew works at the local guitar center? ;-) Hello employee discount.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 2 2007, 03:10 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (kahall @ May 1 2007, 09:43 PM) *
That is no joke for sure. Did I mention my nephew works at the local guitar center? ;-) Hello employee discount.

Nice! cool.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 2 2007, 04:30 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (GibsonSG Freak @ May 1 2007, 02:53 AM) *

Thanking you in advance.

Hello from the other side of the country! Welcome to the site. It is well worth it. Lots of great people and the lessons are fantastic. See you around the forum gotta go practice.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:30 PM