Paypal
steve25
Apr 24 2007, 10:25 PM
GMC:er
For a while i've always been wary about buying things online, i've never used ebay except once but that wasn't my account i used someone elses to sell an amp because quite frankly i just don't trust it. I have bought guitar stuff online i bought my first guitar online and some amps online as well. I also bought something off of play but i know that they're ok. Recently i just signed up to paypal, one of the reasons was to join this site and seeing that so many were on here and impressed with it i thought that it's probably ok. But i recently saw something adveritising something to do with a guitar lesson thing that was quite long and basically you have to pay and you can download it. It was only £15 for a load of things so after persuading myself i did it thinking 'what the hell might as well'. So i've paid for it and everything and have gone through the lesson (it wasn't that good anyway but meh...). Now i've used paypal to do this so how safe is paypal i'm wondering? I mean i really do get suspicious over these things this guy can't take out any more mone yfrom my account then i've already given him can he? I've paid the £15 he's not going to sneekly take more out somehow is he? So how secure is buying with paypal?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
The Uncreator
Apr 24 2007, 11:42 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Well ive been using it to buy stuff online for a LONG Time, i buy CD's alot, subscribe to this site, order shirts and whatnote, buy tickets, and i have yet to have any messups, everything runs smoothly for me, i think it will for you to

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Melinda
Apr 25 2007, 03:14 AM
mellow.gif Steve
Ditto to the Uncreator's comments. I'm not comfortable with the internet purchasing either but I've not had problems with paypal so far.
QUOTE (steve25 @ Apr 24 2007, 03:25 PM) *
For a while i've always been wary about buying things online, i've never used ebay except once but that wasn't my account i used someone elses to sell an amp because quite frankly i just don't trust it. I have bought guitar stuff online i bought my first guitar online and some amps online as well. I also bought something off of play but i know that they're ok. Recently i just signed up to paypal, one of the reasons was to join this site and seeing that so many were on here and impressed with it i thought that it's probably ok. But i recently saw something adveritising something to do with a guitar lesson thing that was quite long and basically you have to pay and you can download it. It was only £15 for a load of things so after persuading myself i did it thinking 'what the hell might as well'. So i've paid for it and everything and have gone through the lesson (it wasn't that good anyway but meh...). Now i've used paypal to do this so how safe is paypal i'm wondering? I mean i really do get suspicious over these things this guy can't take out any more mone yfrom my account then i've already given him can he? I've paid the £15 he's not going to sneekly take more out somehow is he? So how secure is buying with paypal?

+Quote Post
Gaelan
Apr 25 2007, 03:15 AM
I would trust PayPal before I trusted any others

I use it as my exclusive way to accept payments for almost ALL my services, except for two where I have no control over the billing.

The ONLY way someone can automatically take money from your PayPal account is if you entered into a subscription type service where there is a recurring charge. The way PayPal is laid out, the only way a vendor can sneak in a recurring charge is if you don't read the pages while you are going through the checkout process. During checkout it will tell you if it's a 1 time payment or a subscription. If it's a subscription it will tell you for how much and how often it will be billed. Vendors/merchants cannot manually deduct funds from your account. They have to do a request payment/funds... which you can freely deny with no obligations.

PayPal is safe. Just keep this in mind... PayPal claims they will NEVER ask you to log into your account from a link in an email they send you. If you get one of these emails, ALWAYS go to HTTPS://WWW.PAYPAL.COM you can type in all caps to ensure you get correct spelling...it won't matter ( note the HTTPS://) ALWAYS enter your PayPal account by going to the secure PayPal site FIRST

All the best!

G.

--------------------
wanna save more money for gear?
Check out the site your cell phone company doesn't want you to see!
http://www.gaelansplace.info

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 25 2007, 09:09 AM
GMC Founder
I agree with Gaelan,

When buying something from a website with paypal (such as a gmc subscription) - you get "redirected" to paypal's website when clicking the payment button (If you look at the address field it will say https://www.paypal.com.....).

This is why it's safe - the only one who gets to know your paypal password is paypal - so there is no way the guitar site can take another £15 without your consent. (provided you didn't sign up for a subscription, in which case you need to cancel the subscription through your paypal account)

Kristofer

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 25 2007, 11:46 AM
Lets go fishing!
Agreed, as an engineer i could go into great depth about the Sercure Sockets layer (SSL) that sites like pay pal use. But i wontl....all you need to know is that through the use of certificates and encryption your details are VERY safe wink.gif

On the subject of subscription, how much longer do i have left of my GMC subscription before i need to renew? biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Gaelan
Apr 25 2007, 01:51 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Apr 25 2007, 04:46 AM) *
Agreed, as an engineer i could go into great depth about the Sercure Sockets layer (SSL) that sites like pay pal use. But i wontl....all you need to know is that through the use of certificates and encryption your details are VERY safe wink.gif

On the subject of subscription, how much longer do i have left of my GMC subscription before i need to renew? biggrin.gif

Yea I could have gotten all technical too lol
to check your renewal date...

Go to your paypal account.

do a history/activity search for your GMC subscription and click details. it will tell you when your next billing date is due. At least mine does anyway...

All the best

G.

--------------------
wanna save more money for gear?
Check out the site your cell phone company doesn't want you to see!
http://www.gaelansplace.info

+Quote Post
Jeff
Apr 25 2007, 05:12 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Apr 25 2007, 09:09 AM) *
I agree with Gaelan,

When buying something from a website with paypal (such as a gmc subscription) - you get "redirected" to paypal's website when clicking the payment button (If you look at the address field it will say https://www.paypal.com.....).

This is why it's safe - the only one who gets to know your paypal password is paypal - so there is no way the guitar site can take another £15 without your consent. (provided you didn't sign up for a subscription, in which case you need to cancel the subscription through your paypal account)

Kristofer

When is the Kristofer Dahl dance class lessons going to be offered? I will need to add some funds to paypal to sign up. Also, will you offer signature sunglasses? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Apr 25 2007, 08:09 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (jeff @ Apr 25 2007, 05:12 PM) *
When is the Kristofer Dahl dance class lessons going to be offered? I will need to add some funds to paypal to sign up. Also, will you offer signature sunglasses? laugh.gif

Yes, I have requested this myself laugh.gif

My account details say;

Subscription Date:
8 Dec. 2006
Time:
10:21:09 PST
Cancelled - By Buyer
Date of Cancellation:
17 Jan. 2007
Subscription Terms:
Free for the first 3 days
Then $48.00 USD for each 6 months

I dont remember cancelling?! blink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:32 AM