Need Some Advice
pirewall
Sep 10 2009, 06:22 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys,
I've been 'playing' guitar for quite long time, started like 2 years ago but never really took it serious to play each day. However, I've been playing around each day the past few weeks and somehow I just can't really improve my guitar playing.
Trying to find some songs and lessons but can't really find ones where I can really improve my guitar playing, but it just don't work somehow. Got my first guitar like for 3 years but I'm still in the beginning fase.

so my question is: how can I improve my guitar playing, just by practising a level 2 beginner lesson like 1000 times ? or starting some harder one and practice that till my fingers litteritly bleeds?

also, I don't have a real clue about techniques or something, I just copy the tabs, play them like I read them

thanks in advance guys! tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
ZakkWylde
Sep 10 2009, 06:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Challenge yourself, you have thousands of lessons waiting for you here!

-learn a technique you don't know yet
-try to learn a song you always wanted to play
-try some lesson beyond your limitations and try to nail it over time

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Sep 10 2009, 06:27 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 10 2009, 06:31 PM
Hmm, as for technical improvement solely, I would recommend starting with a not so hard lesson, maybe level 4/5 ?
And something like an alternate picking etude, and just practise that with a metronome.
If you don't know how to use a metronome, you can use this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/how-to-use-a-metronome.htm

Main techniques are of course, Alternate picking, and legato. I really think that those are the two main techniques.
You got some more "advanced techniques" such as tapping and sweeping, but they are used alot in seperate genres. With that I mean that you won't find alot of sweeping in blues.

What is your favourite genre/ what are you're influences? Maybe you can learn a piece of one of your favourite guitarist, that's a bit challenging, but that's still fun to practise. If you can play a level 2 lesson perfectly, there is no need in repeating it 1000 times. Make sure though, that you can play it perfectly like 10 times in a row.

I recommend you to really watch the video's of a GMC lesson, to see what technique he is using and how he is using it. I don't know if you know about tab legend. This means, that there are icons on a piece of "Tab" that show you what specialty there is at a certain part, for example maybe a lick is sweeping, or all legato.

This is the tab legend:

I don't know if you use Guitar Pro software. It is extremely useful to listen to tabs, edit a tab, and see how you play stuff with. I think about 80 % of whole GMC use it. Most lesson also have a Guitar Pro tab.

more questions? Please ask!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 10 2009, 06:33 PM
You're almost always gaining something just by playing so often, so that's good. If you want to optimize your practice time better, it would be best to find a way to get feedback similar to sitting down with a real teacher. Fear not: you can still do that here:

If you cannot record video of your playing, at least see if someone can take some pictures of the following:
- your left hand fretting a chord
- your left hand fretting a single note I guess?
- your right hand holding your pick
- your right hand in place as if it were picking notes at whatever your highest speed is

A lot of practice time can be better spent if you can get some feedback about potentially bad habits you may have. Lots of beginners will play for years with unrecommended right and left hand styles (grip, pinky anchoring, thumb anchoring, and so on) which can really slow you down.

If none of the above is possible, look deeper in some of the beginner lessons and pay attention not just to what note is being played but also how it is being fretted, how the instructor is holding his pick, how he is muting other strings, and so on.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 10 2009, 06:41 PM
aww... jafo beat my advice:(

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 10 2009, 06:44 PM
All three replies are good advice! wink.gif

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
pirewall
Sep 10 2009, 06:52 PM
thanks guys for the replies smile.gif

this is a vid of me playing uhm, one last breath - creed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RtrW_co2ag

its from 2 years ago tongue.gif but ye, I could try to record some and give some advice how to hold my fingers etc.

however, like in January, I've started to play more often and tried canon rock:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...on-rock-lesson/

I can play on the same speed around till lesson 5~ not as smooth as the lesson but I think it's near it. also, I really like to play that part on lesson 5, wasn't really hard to learn that part for me

lessons around level 2~4 is not that really hard for me, some practice and in a few days I can play it something, mostly a few wrong notes each time I play on the same speed as in the lessons, such as:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...loing-beginner/

hmm and my music style... I pretty much like to play those blue lessons and some rock

well, mostly I listen to metal and such, But there is no way I can play like manowar, iron maiden, judas priest, leatherwolf, WASP and such :<

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 10 2009, 06:56 PM
QUOTE (pirewall @ Sep 10 2009, 12:52 PM) *
this is a vid of me playing uhm, one last breath - creed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RtrW_co2ag

This is not bad at all, though it'd be great to see the right hand as well, but here's some good things:
- rhythmic placement is good
- thumb slipped naturally behind the neck when necessary
- didn't hear a lot of excess string noise, though I wouldn't expect much extra from acoustic smile.gif

I'd say you're in a pretty decent place to challenge yourself. Have you tried some lessons that look just a little too hard for you? Perhaps finishing out the Canon Rock lesson you mentioned and trying to record it for feedback (like, could post it to REC forum here and get a lot of real feedback)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 11 2009, 12:00 AM
Instructor
Hey my friend! smile.gif

It's a common problem when starting out don't worry, you need to set your goals straight and have a good practice routine.

Check out this beginner lesson plan that I made:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=312457

It may not be exactly what you need but you can get the idea of what needs to be practiced when starting out.

Let me know if you need some guidelines with it. Cheers

Ivan

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
tonyparnham
Sep 11 2009, 12:50 PM
Just my opinion as to what I found, is that before you can start speeding up much I believe you have to be fairly efficient at at basic skills;
Bending with vibrato, hammerons, pulloffs, sliding and know all the open chords. To me once these basic techniques are in place I think you can begin to develop with all the lessons here.
Tony

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:42 AM