> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hickstir's Practice Room, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2015, 12:14 AM
Instructor
Hi hickstir! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here the idea is to help you design guitar routines to achieve diary, weekly, monthly and yearly goals. The idea is to define this goals together to then design guitar routines and share your report and videos/audios of you to show me how everything progresses.

Here I will copy the info that you shared in your intro thread, to have it as reference.

My music goals are varied, which also my be why I can't seem to stick to one thing very long before I realize I'm off working on something else. I can't tell you how many intro's or 'beginning of songs I've learned. How many have I completed, that's right, none! I know it's partly self-discipline and partly not seeing an instructor every week knowing you have to show what you were assigned to work on. Of course they are both one in the same.

My long term goal (maybe a few years or so) is to be able to know and understand fretboard theory (or just plain theory) and put together my own music. I would like to feel comfortable if I met someone and the said "hey, come on over with your guitar and we'll mess around. I would like to learn a few songs along the way, but I kind of look at that as a sub-accomplishment kind of thing.

Short term goals are the problem for me, I realized that I don't have any. The issue is that my long term goals keep getting in the way. My thinking goes kind of like this, and I'm guessing I'm not alone out there. My short term (daily) thinking kind of goes like this; "Let's see, I want to learn theory so I better just concentrate on that, but I want to learn the notes on the fretboard so I'll work on that, but I really need to learn the pentatonic scale so..., but I really want to learn some Scorpions, Slash, Pink Floyd, so on..., but I really need to learn the major and minor scales, but I would really like to learn some country for my father in law, but, but, but..." There's pretty much my daily thinking, it's always "well if I work on this, I'm not working on that".

Anyways; I'll leave it at that as I'm guessing anyone interested can get a good picture of where I am. I did forget to mention that I just recently got a Zoom R-8 for my birthday and love it! I was also an eye opener the first time I tried to play a simple solo while listening to the rhythm. ohmy.gif It blew my mind at how different it was to play that once easy solo over other music!!! I can see why 'they say' you need to play with others, or at least backing tracks.

Anything else to add? Can you record yourself? Do you have any videos of you playing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hickstir
Feb 3 2015, 12:51 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 2 2015, 11:14 PM) *
Hi hickstir! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army, my mentoring program. Here the idea is to help you design guitar routines to achieve diary, weekly, monthly and yearly goals. The idea is to define this goals together to then design guitar routines and share your report and videos/audios of you to show me how everything progresses.

Here I will copy the info that you shared in your intro thread, to have it as reference.

My music goals are varied, which also my be why I can't seem to stick to one thing very long before I realize I'm off working on something else. I can't tell you how many intro's or 'beginning of songs I've learned. How many have I completed, that's right, none! I know it's partly self-discipline and partly not seeing an instructor every week knowing you have to show what you were assigned to work on. Of course they are both one in the same.

My long term goal (maybe a few years or so) is to be able to know and understand fretboard theory (or just plain theory) and put together my own music. I would like to feel comfortable if I met someone and the said "hey, come on over with your guitar and we'll mess around. I would like to learn a few songs along the way, but I kind of look at that as a sub-accomplishment kind of thing.

Short term goals are the problem for me, I realized that I don't have any. The issue is that my long term goals keep getting in the way. My thinking goes kind of like this, and I'm guessing I'm not alone out there. My short term (daily) thinking kind of goes like this; "Let's see, I want to learn theory so I better just concentrate on that, but I want to learn the notes on the fretboard so I'll work on that, but I really need to learn the pentatonic scale so..., but I really want to learn some Scorpions, Slash, Pink Floyd, so on..., but I really need to learn the major and minor scales, but I would really like to learn some country for my father in law, but, but, but..." There's pretty much my daily thinking, it's always "well if I work on this, I'm not working on that".

Anyways; I'll leave it at that as I'm guessing anyone interested can get a good picture of where I am. I did forget to mention that I just recently got a Zoom R-8 for my birthday and love it! I was also an eye opener the first time I tried to play a simple solo while listening to the rhythm. ohmy.gif It blew my mind at how different it was to play that once easy solo over other music!!! I can see why 'they say' you need to play with others, or at least backing tracks.

Anything else to add? Can you record yourself? Do you have any videos of you playing?

I don't have any videos, so how about this... I found the youtube link on how to record one so I'll watch that and whatever else I need to do this. Then I could put together a video of me simply playing some random things, chords, notes, pentatonic scale, and so on. Even though this will be kind of embarrassing for me, I know you have to have an idea of where I am in order to help me and I think this will do the job. Give me a day or two since I'm new to this. And thank you soooo much, I'm really looking forward to this journey!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2015, 02:03 PM
Instructor
This sounds great mate! I'll wait for the video. Is this the youtube tutorial that you've found?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Feb 3 2015, 03:34 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 3 2015, 01:03 PM) *
This sounds great mate! I'll wait for the video. Is this the youtube tutorial that you've found?

Not sure, I just logged in to see if I could find the link again. I'll assume that this is one I should watch so I'll do that

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2015, 06:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (hickstir @ Feb 3 2015, 11:34 AM) *
Not sure, I just logged in to see if I could find the link again. I'll assume that this is one I should watch so I'll do that

Sure, this one includes all the needed information. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Feb 9 2015, 04:26 PM
Okay, so I'm almost done with the studio upstairs, but here's the 'in the meantime' video. I sincerely hope you didn't think I was more advanced than I am but hey, maybe in 6 months or so I can be another nice testimonial for the site, and you. wink.gif Note: I played 'clean' so there was no place to hide the sounds. I did forget to add some bends, double stops, power chords, barre chords, but I guessing you can probably tell where I am with those from what I played here. So hopefully this will get us started and you you want me to play something specific just let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD3gPnW6Ekg

I'll go back and read how to post the vid...

This post has been edited by hickstir: Feb 10 2015, 03:22 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Capture_3__2_9_2015_10_07_AM_.wmv ( 27.36MB ) Number of downloads: 96

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 10 2015, 02:21 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! Thanks for this video! These are the two lessons that I suggest to work during this first week:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn..._1_Open_Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ernate-Picking/

The idea is that you divide your practice time and dedicate 2 blocks of 20 minutes to each of these lessons. The best is to have some time to rest your mind between the blocks. This means that your schedule should look:

Practice plan:

1 x 20 min : Open Chords

5 minutes: Rest

1 x 20 min : Alternate Picking

And if it's possible repeat this plan one or two more times each day.

Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Feb 10 2015, 03:39 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 10 2015, 01:21 PM) *
Hi friend! Thanks for this video! These are the two lessons that I suggest to work during this first week:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn..._1_Open_Chords/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ernate-Picking/

The idea is that you divide your practice time and dedicate 2 blocks of 20 minutes to each of these lessons. The best is to have some time to rest your mind between the blocks. This means that your schedule should look:

Practice plan:

1 x 20 min : Open Chords

1 x 20 min : Alternate Picking

And if it's possible repeat this plan one or two more times each day.

Deal?

I'm on it! Thanks. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2015, 05:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (hickstir @ Feb 10 2015, 11:39 AM) *
I'm on it! Thanks. biggrin.gif

Perfect! Keep me updated!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Mar 1 2015, 05:29 PM
Hi Gabe, right after you gave me my first work, I realized I had a few issues that I needed to address in order to feel totally comfortable and be able to give my learning full attention. So, since then I have completely moved around two rooms, dry-walled a closet and attic, spent a lot of money on a new computer and an Audiobox usb, learned and investigated DAW’s in order to make an informed choice on what I wanted to use, learned about the one I chose (Mixcraft pro 7), been sick, walked the dogs, shoveled some snow, and so on… So I finally produced my first complete test video and I’m really excited and now ready to concentrate on guitar! Whew!

Also; do not worry that I'm going to tell you a 10,000 word story every time I post a video, this was an exception to let you know 'where I am'.

I will try to stick to only mentioning things related to the lesson, such as...

You will notice somewhere around the third iteration of this piece that I did a little different picking pattern (although still alternate). I started getting into the beat and that's when I started picking accordingly. I didn't want to do the whole video over so I hope you'll let that one slide?? If not, you're the boss. smile.gif

Okay; let's see if my first attempt at video embedding works...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 1 2015, 05:52 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Congrats on your first guitar video!! It has a very good quality! Well done. smile.gif

Here we go with some things to improve and have in mind for the next days of practice and videos:

- Your guitar tone can be artistically cool, but it's not the best one to let me check your timing on this lesson. It seems that you are using some reverb or delay on it that creates an atmosphere behind it and the notes are not felt clearly.

- Even with the effect, I think that your timing is not completely tight, there are some moments when your 8th notes aren't a bit faster, mostly the second of each beat, so please pay attention to it, and let me know if I'm just confused because of the tone.

- I notice that you don't reach the higher note with precision, just pay attention to it and isolate the part to work on it if it's necessary.

Other than that, this video is a great first step. Keep on the great job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Mar 1 2015, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 1 2015, 04:52 PM) *
Hi mate! Congrats on your first guitar video!! It has a very good quality! Well done. smile.gif

Here we go with some things to improve and have in mind for the next days of practice and videos:

- Your guitar tone can be artistically cool, but it's not the best one to let me check your timing on this lesson. It seems that you are using some reverb or delay on it that creates an atmosphere behind it and the notes are not felt clearly.

- Even with the effect, I think that your timing is not completely tight, there are some moments when your 8th notes aren't a bit faster, mostly the second of each beat, so please pay attention to it, and let me know if I'm just confused because of the tone.

- I notice that you don't reach the higher note with precision, just pay attention to it and isolate the part to work on it if it's necessary.

Other than that, this video is a great first step. Keep on the great job! smile.gif

I will tone down the reverb and delay(actually thought about that). Yes; I do/did have problems nailing the high note and will now go to some serious work on that. Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2015, 02:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (hickstir @ Mar 1 2015, 06:45 PM) *
I will tone down the reverb and delay(actually thought about that). Yes; I do/did have problems nailing the high note and will now go to some serious work on that. Thanks!

Great! Looking forward your new take! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Mar 10 2015, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 2 2015, 01:29 PM) *
Great! Looking forward your new take! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2015, 04:48 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! Great job with this one! The overall sound is better and let's me hear that your playing is getting more consistent. There is a little room for improvement regarding timing and some position shifts that are not totally precise but this take would be a 9 at REC program. This means that you are ready to start working on this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Keep on the hard work! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
Mar 11 2015, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 10 2015, 03:48 PM) *
Hi friend! Great job with this one! The overall sound is better and let's me hear that your playing is getting more consistent. There is a little room for improvement regarding timing and some position shifts that are not totally precise but this take would be a 9 at REC program. This means that you are ready to start working on this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

Keep on the hard work! smile.gif

Awesome! Chord work is coming...

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2015, 02:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (hickstir @ Mar 11 2015, 11:58 AM) *
Awesome! Chord work is coming...

Great! Looking forward your chord video. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 5 2015, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, here I'm ready to suggest some work for this week. I will suggest this lesson in the style of Buckethead. It's a very melodic lesson that includes from picking arpeggios to phrasing, vibrato, bending and alternate picking. It's not a tricky lesson but it is great to start applying the different techniques into musical situations.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Buckethead-Style-II/

I think that working on this lesson, combined with some work on the previous lessons worked is a good plan for this week. And if you agree, I will be available at the chat-room in one week to see your progress.

Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
hickstir
May 6 2015, 11:16 AM
Awesome looking lesson. Yes!! I will certainly continue to be working on my alt picking because I've kind of messed myself up... I was looking for anything and everything available on picking techniques because, while this might not make sense, it seemed like I was pretty good at slow and very fast, but everything in the middle was killing me. So I found this https://www.youtube.com/user/troygrady and now I'm kind of stuck in between what I was doing and tying to do what he was showing, which is some kind of slight rolling of the wrist. Anyways; not trying to go 'off site' or anything but had to see everything I could on picking techs since this is pretty foundational to everything. PS. I'm not really interested, per-say, at that kind of speed, just want to be able to do what I need to do with a pick, right??? wink.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 5 2015, 04:36 PM) *
Hi mate, here I'm ready to suggest some work for this week. I will suggest this lesson in the style of Buckethead. It's a very melodic lesson that includes from picking arpeggios to phrasing, vibrato, bending and alternate picking. It's not a tricky lesson but it is great to start applying the different techniques into musical situations.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Buckethead-Style-II/

I think that working on this lesson, combined with some work on the previous lessons worked is a good plan for this week. And if you agree, I will be available at the chat-room in one week to see your progress.

Deal?

This post has been edited by hickstir: May 6 2015, 11:23 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2015, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Hi Hickstir, I'm checking the analysis that he did to Malmsteen's picking and it's interesting. Everything you can see, hear and learn to have different perspectives is always welcome and helpful. Some stuff will work for you, while some other note, each of us is different, have different hands, fingers, mind, goals, tastes, so something that works great for somebody can work bad for you or the opposite. This is why there is not a unique way or method to play guitar. If you check the picking of different guitarists like Malmsteen, Michel Angelo, Frank Gambale, Steve Morse, you will see that each of them do it in a very different way.

I'm checking your picking hand basics video again and I can say that your right hand looks good, but there is something lacking if you want to reach high speeds. We usually start the movement from the wrist but also add some movement from the elbow. Imagine that you have water in your hand and you want to quit it shacking it.

The movement will be smaller and more precise, but the feeling is similar. Now pay attention to this two masters of Alternate picking. Check how they move their right hand. You'll notice that both move from wrist and elbow, but the % of motion is different. Vinnie seems to be moving more from the elbow, while Paul does it more from the wrist.

Which on you should use? Try both playing 16th notes on open E string for a while over metronome and decide which one feels more comfortable for playing fast. I personally use both, but when playing really fast, I'm closer to Vinnie's technique.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:23 PM