3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
New 3 Quality Option - Test It!, New GMC video player version!
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 02:01 PM
GMC Founder
Hi there,

Based on the feedback we have got from you - we have been working the last months on bringing you a better lesson player with more options, better video/audio quality and better/faster video streaming.

Today you have the possibility of testing this player! smile.gif

In short:

Click "SETTINGS" in the lower left corner and choose a video quality option that suits you (if you are on a very slow internet connection try "LOW", otherwise you might want to try "MEDIUM" or "HIGH")

A little more info:

We have fixed a bug in the streaming algorithm, so once we implement this player live on the site, you should get better/less choppy streaming in the lessons (will be especially noticeable to those of you on slower Internet connections)

In order for the new video codecs to perform in an optimal way (and give best quality) - we have changed the video resolutions slightly. Because of this - wide screen videos will have a black border on the top and bottom. Also, the window containing tab and backing tracks will have a slightly different size as well.

The "HIGH" quality settings features the largest files ever streamed at GMC - a single video can be around 100 MB in extreme cases. We plan on offering this option without any extra membership fee.

The "LOW" quality setting contains the lightest videos we have ever had at GMC - which means that those of you who are on really slow Internet connections should notice a streaming improvement, even when comparing to really old GMC lessons. The "LOW" setting has a smaller video resolution as you can see (still bigger than the old GMC lessons though!)

However, the new video codecs used might be a little more demanding for old computers. We hope that other improvements made to the player will even these effects out.

Sound is improved with a better codec and 192 kbit/s setting - which means that audio quality should start approaching the quality of an audio cd (or wave file), and should be a definite improvement compared to what we have now.

As you can see the different test videos differ from each other in quality - this is because factors such as the instructors camera equipment, light settings and recording technique come into play as well.

I am looking forward to your feedback - it is incredibly helpful as we strive to make GMC as good as possible! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 28 2009, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Great feature Kris!!!! smile.gif

I have pretty descent and fast DSL so I didn't watch properly,
does it takes individual buffer for each quality level or?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 28 2009, 02:13 PM
Instructor
I love that new feature, it works great.
I tried all 3 settings and could see a difference between all 3.
The lower quality is much faster.
Great great job!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 28 2009, 02:17 PM
GMC:er
Unfortunately the Big Player won't work on my PC.
My Processor isn't fast enough to handle it, even on LOW setting. sad.gif
Audio is fine but Visuals are jumping and not fluent!
I hope to have my new PC very soon so this should no longer be an issue!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 28 2009, 02:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2009, 02:01 PM) *
However, the new video codecs used might be a little more demanding for old computers. We hope that other improvements made to the player will even these effects out.

Great work team!! I love the new player and different quality options! They look great..
One thing I noticed though is that this new player works much better/faster on my old computer..I can not create any choppiness problems or anything (on high settings) even if I violently take the scroll page bar and shake it up and down fast..(which would result in audio/playback stopping at once if I done that in the older player)..So considering this to me new player is even less demanding on my old PC.. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 28 2009, 02:22 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 28 2009, 02:27 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
works great, at work here I dont have a brilliant connection but on "low" quality no problems at all, and loaded really fast biggrin.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 02:29 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jan 28 2009, 04:11 PM) *
I have pretty descent and fast DSL so I didn't watch properly,
does it takes individual buffer for each quality level or?

If you are on a fast connection just check out the high quality - as these contain better video/audio than we have had before.

The buffering pre-loads 7 seconds for any quality and then proceeds to percentage-based buffering, as it is now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 28 2009, 02:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
Looks good to me Kris smile.gif Impressive audio quality, and the HD video codecs look great!! One suggestion though, please bring back the backing track volume adjuster! biggrin.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 02:30 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 28 2009, 04:17 PM) *
Unfortunately the Big Player won't work on my PC.
My Processor isn't fast enough to handle it, even on LOW setting. sad.gif
Audio is fine but Visuals are jumping and not fluent!
I hope to have my new PC very soon so this should no longer be an issue!!
smile.gif

Ah ok - and you have tried with the "LOW" setting here as well?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 28 2009, 02:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2009, 02:29 PM) *
If you are on a fast connection just check out the high quality - as these contain better video/audio than we have had before.

The buffering pre-loads 7 seconds for any quality and then proceeds to percentage-based buffering, as it is now.

Got it, thanks for explanation Kris. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 02:33 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 28 2009, 04:20 PM) *
Great work team!! I love the new player and different quality options! They look great..
One thing I noticed though is that this new player works much better/faster on my old computer..I can not create any choppiness problems or anything (on high settings) even if I violently take the scroll page bar and shake it up and down fast..(which would result in audio/playback stopping at once if I done that in the older player)..So considering this to me new player is even less demanding on my old PC.. smile.gif

Very good to hear Bogdan! smile.gif Let's hope more people experience the same thing.

QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 28 2009, 04:29 PM) *
One suggestion though, please bring back the backing track volume adjuster! biggrin.gif

Noted! Just to check, you are aware that you can control the backing track volume with the volume fader of the video? (this way we don't need two of them)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 28 2009, 02:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2009, 01:33 PM) *
Very good to hear Bogdan! smile.gif Let's hope more people experience the same thing.

Noted! Just to check, you are aware that you can control the backing track volume with the volume fader of the video? (this way we don't need two of them)

I wasn't actually... Consider my request delt with biggrin.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 28 2009, 03:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot for these improvements Kris. I have an old laptop and a very slow internet conetcion and all 3options work perfect for me, thats awesome.

I can't see the video controls is becuase it's a demo, or maybe is an error on my side?

Thanks again Kris!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 28 2009, 03:27 PM
The High Quality vid is awesome and seen as though I have 50mbit/second connection it works perfectly smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 28 2009, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2009, 01:30 PM) *
Ah ok - and you have tried with the "LOW" setting here as well?

Yeah, that was at the LOW setting! The Audio is fine but there's a slight 'jumpiness' to the Visual. Like I said I'm sure it's my slow PC! This one's only a Pentium III, 448MHz!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 28 2009, 04:29 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 28 2009, 08:01 AM) *
The "HIGH" quality settings features the largest files ever streamed at GMC - a single video can be around 100 MB in extreme cases. We plan on offering this option without any extra membership fee.

All 3 works great for me Kris and can definitely see and hear the difference. The above statement is what stood out to me the most man, hat's off to you and your team as I know these extra features are not free.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Jan 28 2009, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Cool upgrade Kris, great job! smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 28 2009, 04:49 PM) *
I wasn't actually... Consider my request delt with biggrin.gif

Ok fixed in a microsecond! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 28 2009, 04:33 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
All 3 worked good for me here. I could really see and hear the the difference in quality.

Thanks for the awesome upgrade.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 28 2009, 04:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 28 2009, 05:12 PM) *
I can't see the video controls is becuase it's a demo, or maybe is an error on my side?

You should be able to see them...mm what browser are you using? And if you right click on the player somewhere, which version of flash does it say?

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:52 AM