2 Pages V  < 1 2  
The Great Pick Thickness Debate !
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2014, 11:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 24 2014, 01:47 PM) *
I use gator grips , 2.o out of necessity . I broke my arm when I was young and the dr. did not set it right, so I can not hold the pick the normal way. I f I hold it the normal way (everyone suggests) I have to force my hand to twist further than the injury wants it to go and I end up having no strength with my index finger and the pick falls out/moves or my timing gets screwed up whilst my fingers tries to wrestle the pick for the upstroke. so my thumb and index finger have to be held together to give my finger enough strength for the upstroke, but to do it this way , a lot more of the pick has to stick out and I can't angle very much at all( thru alt picking runs) except for A.H. . that is way I use a thick pick that doesn't flex as there is so much pick sticking away from my thumb

Hey mate - this should be very interesting to see - can you make a video or take a picture of your picking hand, in action? Maybe we can help out in some way, to ease your playing efforts smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Aug 24 2014, 11:14 AM) *
I think it had more to do with people with hand injuries. Thats y it was made.

I do like using it because after using it for a while using normal thick picks feels like like i'm just gliding through the strings.

I do recommend one for someone working on their picking. I kinda of treat it as another exercise.

I would be curious to see how it works, but I am not too keen on spending money on a pick that looks like a friggin' diamond biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 25 2014, 11:23 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Aug 25 2014, 11:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 25 2014, 06:23 PM) *
I would be curious to see how it works, but I am not too keen on spending money on a pick that looks like a friggin' diamond biggrin.gif

You could always stick it in a ring and make the missus happy lol

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2014, 12:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Aug 25 2014, 10:48 AM) *
You could always stick it in a ring and make the missus happy lol

She's not a fan of jewelry laugh.gif She's a little warrior herself! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Aug 28 2014, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
I've been using Jim Dunlop Ultex with pointy tip (1.14 thickness). It's made out of some weird material that sticks to the natural grease on the fingers and I find this grip better than the picks that are patterned on their surface for grip.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 29 2014, 07:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Aug 28 2014, 04:20 PM) *
I've been using Jim Dunlop Ultex with pointy tip (1.14 thickness). It's made out of some weird material that sticks to the natural grease on the fingers and I find this grip better than the picks that are patterned on their surface for grip.

Oh, those beige/transparent ones? I remember using them and liking them a bit smile.gif What sort of material would that be, I'm wondering?

+Quote Post
Deleted
Aug 30 2014, 09:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
I've recently bought a big stubby set. Three different thinkness and sizes. I found the 3mm one very comfortable (at the pick point it becomes thiner, let's say less then 1mm)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2014, 08:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Deleted @ Aug 30 2014, 08:58 AM) *
I've recently bought a big stubby set. Three different thinkness and sizes. I found the 3mm one very comfortable (at the pick point it becomes thiner, let's say less then 1mm)

I also used a 3mm Steve Clayton pick, but it proved to be too much smile.gif I think 1mm is just perfect for me in the situations involving riffing and lead playing on the electric guitar and when playing acoustic - maybe a .69 or a .73?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2014, 11:21 PM
CRSN: have you ever tried the device that CHRIS BRODERICK uses? it's a sort of pick holding device that he built originally to prevent pick loss on stage.

http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/store/

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 24 2014, 09:47 AM) *
I use gator grips , 2.o out of necessity . I broke my arm when I was young and the dr. did not set it right, so I can not hold the pick the normal way. I f I hold it the normal way (everyone suggests) I have to force my hand to twist further than the injury wants it to go and I end up having no strength with my index finger and the pick falls out/moves or my timing gets screwed up whilst my fingers tries to wrestle the pick for the upstroke. so my thumb and index finger have to be held together to give my finger enough strength for the upstroke, but to do it this way , a lot more of the pick has to stick out and I can't angle very much at all( thru alt picking runs) except for A.H. . that is way I use a thick pick that doesn't flex as there is so much pick sticking away from my thumb

+Quote Post
Im here to succe...
Sep 1 2014, 11:53 PM
I like to use thicker picks.

I was doing a recording session a few weeks back and the song we were working on had some complicated arpeggios and the guy engineering it pointed out that i weren't having my best of days.. i kept messing up, missing notes etc..
so i decided to blame my pick & opted to use a slightly heavier pick... then after that, i didn't miss one note..

i've always used a 1mm since then smile.gif

This post has been edited by Im here to succeed: Sep 1 2014, 11:54 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 06:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Im here to succeed @ Sep 1 2014, 10:53 PM) *
I like to use thicker picks.

I was doing a recording session a few weeks back and the song we were working on had some complicated arpeggios and the guy engineering it pointed out that i weren't having my best of days.. i kept messing up, missing notes etc..
so i decided to blame my pick & opted to use a slightly heavier pick... then after that, i didn't miss one note..

i've always used a 1mm since then smile.gif

I too enjoy 1mm picks for lead playing and riffing and I always feel that they help out, just like in your case wink.gif

About Mr. Broderick's pick clip - it looks a but uncomfy to me - I mean, I for one haven't used a thumb pick - because if you ask me, that's what this devices resembles, so if you're not used to the thumb pick, it might feel a bit awkward - any thoughts from thumb pick users? smile.gif

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
Sep 2 2014, 02:08 PM
I'm loving the 0.73 picks at the moment.

When I first started playing I used the Big Stubbys, i then switched to the Jazz III JP's. I then tried the Orange tortex 0.6, which just felt too flappy, and I feel I've hit the nail on the head with the 0.73's.

+Quote Post
Mith
Sep 2 2014, 02:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 2 2014, 06:21 AM) *
CRSN: have you ever tried the device that CHRIS BRODERICK uses? it's a sort of pick holding device that he built originally to prevent pick loss on stage.

http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/store/

Think I might give one of them a shot

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 3 2014, 08:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ Sep 2 2014, 02:08 PM) *
I'm loving the 0.73 picks at the moment.

When I first started playing I used the Big Stubbys, i then switched to the Jazz III JP's. I then tried the Orange tortex 0.6, which just felt too flappy, and I feel I've hit the nail on the head with the 0.73's.

That's really interesting, to go from rigid picks to a lighter 0.73. How do you feel it affects and / reinforces what you play ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07 PM