Favorite Grunge/alternative Band?
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2010, 11:08 AM
GMC Founder
As many bands evolved from the grunge/alternative movement in the 90's who was your favorite and why? Who in your opinion has also withstood the tests of time?

Pearl Jam perhaps? wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 2 2010, 11:20 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Can't get it down to a single one but for me:

Sonic Youth, Fugazi, NoMeansNo, MDC, Jello Biafra, Mission of Burma, Big Black, Black Flag, Jackie O' , Silverfish are all worth a mention not least as they epitomised and were/are part of the alternative scene rather than being commercial wannabies wink.gif .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 2 2010, 11:37 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Alice In Chains by far. What do I like about them? Killer guitar riffs, the harmonized vocals and amazing drum beats. As far as Pearl Jam, I think the guitar playing is great, I'm just not a big fan of Eddie Vedder.

You know what would be hilarious? Watching Eddie Vedder and Scott Stapp from Creed getting into an argument biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Dec 2 2010, 11:42 AM
GMC Administrator
Bush! I love "16 Stones". I still listen to it on a regular basis.

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2010, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Hey guys biggrin.gif

as Mudbone says - Alice In Chains is a huge band, they have created a vocal trend as well with the harmonizing style (check out Dark New Day for instance, and you'll find striking similarities among the vocal work, although dark new day is much more aggressive)

Otherwise, I am a big fan of Mr. Chris Cornell (and of course Soundgarden) - I think he earned his place among the world's greatest vocalists with an ocean of charisma to back him up whenever!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Dec 2 2010, 12:50 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Does Nirvana still count?? wink.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2010, 12:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Dec 2 2010, 11:50 AM) *
Does Nirvana still count?? wink.gif

Of course! biggrin.gif

It's just that I'm more into Alice In Chains - oh and I got to watch the Rammstein concert in Bucharest with William Duval smile.gif we ended up shoulder to shoulder in the public, and I was stunned to see him among the people smile.gif))

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 2 2010, 01:10 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees smile.gif

Great bands, who all released great albums!

+Quote Post
Mr T
Dec 2 2010, 02:04 PM
GMC:er
Very hard to choose one... Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are definitely my favourites.
Also for those who don't know about an album by Mad Season, go check it out. Members of the band were:
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) - vocals, guitar
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) - lead guitar
John Baker Saunders(The Walkabouts) - bass
Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) - drums and percussion
cool.gif

--------------------

Roland Cube 30; Toneport GX; Cort kx1; Ibanez RG1570; Ibanez EW35ABE-NT

http://www.last.fm/user/Mr_T83

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 2 2010, 02:49 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Mr T @ Dec 2 2010, 02:04 PM) *
Very hard to choose one... Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains are definitely my favourites.
Also for those who don't know about an album by Mad Season, go check it out. Members of the band were:
Layne Staley (Alice in Chains) - vocals, guitar
Mike McCready (Pearl Jam) - lead guitar
John Baker Saunders(The Walkabouts) - bass
Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) - drums and percussion
cool.gif

Yeah, Mad Season is great smile.gif
Forgot about them, thanks for reminding me.

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Dec 2 2010, 02:54 PM
Instructor
I liked TEN from Pearl Jam but not so much the rest of their discography.
Some of my favorites were Bush, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains and Nirvana, of course!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Do you guys know Temple of The Dog?

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2010, 04:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Even though Nirvana & Pearl Jam are the BIG grunge names, my vote is for Bush smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/Bush

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 2 2010, 04:35 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Justin Myrick @ Dec 2 2010, 11:42 AM) *
Bush! I love "16 Stones". I still listen to it on a regular basis.

Yes that album was really cool - I would have wanted to see more of that kind of stuff from them! To me it was really close to what Nirvana was doing.

By the way so many nice band names appear in this thread - Nirvana, SOundgarden, lice In Chains...that was back in the days wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 2 2010, 05:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 2 2010, 08:56 AM) *
Do you guys know Temple of The Dog?

OF COURSE, but it's not exactly grunge i think, more rock n rollsih biggrin.gif

i LOVE STP smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2010, 05:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Dec 2 2010, 04:19 PM) *
OF COURSE, but it's not exactly grunge i think, more rock n rollsih biggrin.gif

i LOVE STP smile.gif

biggrin.gif well it is made up by grungy people tongue.gif so i thought it is grunge by definition

it doesn't matter, it's good music anyway

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 2 2010, 06:21 PM
Instructor
they ROCK hard biggrin.gif!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Dec 2 2010, 07:08 PM
Beginner Instructor
Pearl Jam! They were my favorite band for probably 5 years straight. Mike McCready is still one of my top 5 favorite guitarists.

Temple of the Dog made some great music, too! Pearl Jam and Soundgarden combining into something specatcular.

Mad Season was also really great. Layne Staley and Mike McCready. November Hotel is one of the best instrumental songs ever, in my opinion.

And I think that Chris Cornell is one of the greatest vocalists of all time.

That time period had some really great music.......makes me want to go listen to Hunger Strike smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ezyryder
Dec 2 2010, 11:40 PM
GMC:er
Alice in chains for sure, they've been my favorite band for a long time now. The music they make is euphoric to me, the timbre of layne's voice is incredible, it's beautiful. The vocal harmonies are awesome sounding, they add so much to the music. Jerry's such a good musician, the leads are tasteful and the riffs are hot. They're so diverse, each album is something new, every album takes you on a different musical journey, i love it. Mad season was also amazing, it's a shame they didn't put more music out, long gone day has some incredible vocals in it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:41 AM