Metal Feel
Jeffrey
Sep 3 2007, 09:26 AM
GMC:er
Hey Pavel, when I started playing I learned major pentatonic shapes and now when i switched into a more metal style my pentatonic blues keep coming back ( lol i got the blues! ) I want to know how to bend without making it sound bluesy. and also if the E Aeolian scale will work(I think you said something about this) anyways can't wait for the news!

-jeffrey

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

Schecter FR C-1 Hellraiser
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access /25.5"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc. Mahogany/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: Gothic Cross
PICKUPS: EMG active 81/85
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way switch
BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
Pavel
Sep 3 2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor
What i suggest is to learn minor and harmonic minor scales. Pentatonic scale by itself sounds bluesy so you can't expect playing blues/pentatonic scale to sound metal. You of course can use pentatonic scales in metal but than you have to use pentatonic 3 notes per string boxes and shred them.

Metal is more minor oriented so you'll have to break out of pentatonic to get into metal. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Oct 29 2007, 08:21 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 3 2007, 05:45 PM) *
Metal is more minor oriented so you'll have to break out of pentatonic to get into metal. smile.gif

I had the same question actually.
But where do you "go" huh.gif when you break out of the pentatonic boxes?
Or is there some other Scale I should practise to get more of a metal-feeling sound??

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Pavel
Oct 29 2007, 08:35 PM
Instructor
Metal has a lot to do with specific rhythms. You can't play metal riffs over a jazzy drum rhythm. If you don't know where to start - learn all of my HEAVY METAL FOR BEGINNERS lessons to get started with metal. As for metal soloing - you'll have to learn and get comfortable with other scales than just pentatonic.

Start learning scales, and AP lessons.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
steve25
Oct 29 2007, 10:28 PM
Yeah and also isn't it what you do with those scales? There are some metal guitar players that play with pentatonic scales but a lot go furhter. I try to add outside notes to my pentatonic scale playing and 90% of the time it sounds good so i can play 3 note per string with pentatonics

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:45 PM