Jamming Troubles
Ryan
May 8 2007, 02:56 AM
GMC:er
Hmm well, i was trying to play with some backing tracks, and well i sucked, but then when i turn them off..i dont suck...what the hell...and when i play with my cousin, or my g/f or antyhign..i suck..but then we i play by myself i dont...and its not like im out of timing or nothing, cus its all improvisation

anybody have any idea or tips, on how i could change this??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick_GibsonLP
May 8 2007, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ May 7 2007, 09:56 PM) *
Hmm well, i was trying to play with some backing tracks, and well i sucked, but then when i turn them off..i dont suck...what the hell...and when i play with my cousin, or my g/f or antyhign..i suck..but then we i play by myself i dont...and its not like im out of timing or nothing, cus its all improvisation
anybody have any idea or tips, on how i could change this??

I have the same problem most of the time. With the backing track thing its probably because your constrained to how fast the beat is going, and you cant go how fast or slow you want, and if you do go how you want, it might sound off. With the whole playing in front of others thing, its probably just because your nervous. You get so used to playing for yourself yet when someone else is watching who doesn't know what they're about to hear, you can get a little nervous and be more prone to mess up. Thats how it is for me anyways.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Guitar Port
Digitech RP250 Pedal

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 9 2007, 02:02 AM
YOUR EXACTLY RIGHT DUDE, im glad im not the only 1 that has kinda a fear playing in front of people im usually always alone in my room, i kinda like it that way, but when it comes to playing in front of ppl pfffffffff i dont want to suck, cus i tell my g/f how good i am, but hten...well yea it sounds bad when i play in front of her..and i dont know how to overcoem the fear of playing in front of people sad.gif anybody have any ideas...and the jamming with the tracks..i guess that will just take time to get over..but yea..and tips will be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
May 9 2007, 03:36 AM
play a gig in front of 1 big crowd.. and mess up biggrin.gif cause then everyone just goes boo and u get soo nervous that u die and then when ever u have to do it again u just say im not gunna screw up and its not the playin that makes u nervous its the screwing up.. and if yer good then messing up is no problem haha smile.gif thats what accidentally happened to me i played 1 show and i was really nervous of playing in front of ppl.. messed up my song sat down got up next song and the crowed didn't faze me at all. haha maybe it was just me..

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 9 2007, 08:01 AM
Ryan, I'm facing the same problem. Both when someone is watching but also when playing to backtracks.
One thing is that I lose the beat being busy with keeping all my fingers doing the right moves.
The other thing is for example with Blues Licks Two. The lick is sort of faster than the backing track and have bends that "delays" my playing so I can't find, or keep, the right rhythm.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 9 2007, 10:39 PM
Im really glad im not alone on this, but see i can play just fine on like Mazela's solo by Gabriel, i can play it with him and everything, i mess up at a few spot no biggie, its a lil timiing problem, but its like 1 beat faster so i will get that soon fixed yea know, but im talkin about really when just throwing on a backing track..then improvising to it wiht all my blues licks or w/e..i cant do it for some reason..i guess my problem is playing with ppl, and in front of them....i need to fix this and badly, but i guess the only way i know of it just start playing in front of them..and evenutally ill get used to it..so i wont mess up..or anything..but idk..maybe theres another way biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 9 2007, 11:25 PM
Theres a simple answer to everything your saying. Practice ! Practice using backing tracks and going along with them. Practice playing in front of mom, dad, sister, brother, grandma and grandpa and eventually it wont phase you to play in front of people like your girl friend smile.gif

Trust me it works wink.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 10 2007, 09:26 AM
yea i know...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE..i know....you dont have to tell me......i play until my hands are sore..or i cant hold the guitar up anymore..does that say anything???

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
May 14 2007, 09:50 PM
ok, the way i do it to like play everything i an the best i can, i do practie, yes, but that just adds more stuff to play
the way to do it is to SWITCH ON THE DONT GIVE A **** MECHANISM OF YOURSELF, you know how sometimes u just cant be bothered to like care about what everyone thinks, so u dont care if u do something and everyone will think ur a idiot? switch that on!!! i was like that the other day at band practice,and i was singing all random stuff that rhymes laugh.gif as well as playing along really well to my crazzy singing.
just give up the caring about other people in the room, and let loose, play random stuff, if it sounds bad, its fiie, have u heard buckethead? half of his stuff is melodically incorrect and if played to a classical pianist would make them explode. IT IS 2007 right? so nothing can be wrong, everything is right!!! if the people u are playing for/with say thats a piece o c*** just ignor them and carrie on, eventualy they will get used to the wierd stuff ur playin and it will sound good smile.gif
most people grow up hearing the *right* sounding stuf, but imagiie growing up lisening to buckethead, then wouldnt the wierd stuff b not so wierd, and alllthe *right* stuff be wierd?

+Quote Post
andrei.sz
May 14 2007, 10:03 PM
hey,
i have this problem too, sometimes.
a friend of mine told me that i have a problem with the tempo... but after some practice i could play with backing tracks,... not perfectly , but better. as for playing with other people it's really hard for me , too.
i could only jam a few licks or that, but i lose it quickly.
and gott no problems with it when i'm alone and practicing in my room...biggrin.gif

maybe just practice could help us biggrin.gif

cheers

This post has been edited by andrei.sz: May 14 2007, 10:03 PM

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 15 2007, 06:15 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ May 14 2007, 03:50 PM) *
ok, the way i do it to like play everything i an the best i can, i do practie, yes, but that just adds more stuff to play
the way to do it is to SWITCH ON THE DONT GIVE A **** MECHANISM OF YOURSELF, you know how sometimes u just cant be bothered to like care about what everyone thinks, so u dont care if u do something and everyone will think ur a idiot? switch that on!!! i was like that the other day at band practice,and i was singing all random stuff that rhymes laugh.gif as well as playing along really well to my crazzy singing.
just give up the caring about other people in the room, and let loose, play random stuff, if it sounds bad, its fiie, have u heard buckethead? half of his stuff is melodically incorrect and if played to a classical pianist would make them explode. IT IS 2007 right? so nothing can be wrong, everything is right!!! if the people u are playing for/with say thats a piece o c*** just ignor them and carrie on, eventualy they will get used to the wierd stuff ur playin and it will sound good smile.gif
most people grow up hearing the *right* sounding stuf, but imagiie growing up lisening to buckethead, then wouldnt the wierd stuff b not so wierd, and alllthe *right* stuff be wierd?

I never thought about it that way, with buckethead and everything...adn well jaming with the tracks are getting better..like i can gab's new lesson..and his Mazela's solo..perfect..wiht him..or wiht the track.so thats getting better with that..but the in front of ppl..well...my dad told me today that i sounded like ****..so idk..but i guess ill do that..not give a **** i used to be like that..idk what happend to it though...BUT ILL GET IT BACK tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus
May 15 2007, 09:26 AM
Don't feel any pressure when you play with a backing track. Take it easy and make sure you play scales that fits with the chord progression. Then, when you get more comfortable finding the notes that sounds good, you can start to practice more on your technique, do some runs and so on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeff
May 15 2007, 08:32 PM
Try ditching the backing tracks for now and concentrate on practicing with the metronome only. That should take care of most of your concerns. Remember, just because you are improvising doesn't mean that it should not be in time. In fact, improv out of time really sounds like sh*t. Timing is critical and such a fundamental element of music that if you don't master it you will never be that good.

As for playing in front of anyone else, only play those songs that you know well enough to feel comfortable with. And when you screw something up just laugh it off. No one will judge you unless you set the tone that you are the man and then don't deliver on what you claim.

Rock on my man! wink.gif

+Quote Post
fenderbender
May 15 2007, 09:04 PM
Hey bro, I hear what you're saying. I'm only now starting to get over my fears of playing in front of people. I've played a few shows with pick-up bands and the feeling of a disastrous set is all too familiar. But you just have to think of it as a learning curve. The more exposure you gain to playing in front of people the more comfortable you will become... no one is comfortablie in unfamiliar terrority and that's perfectly natural. The more you play for people you will start to notice that rather than being nervous you become excited (adrenaline) and oddly enough your tactile receptiveness to your guitar improves and you actually start to play better. Playing along to the backing tracks is intimidating at first and can be somewhat discouraging if you're not used to having to keep strict timing, but like the posts above me are saying that is just a matter of time and practice as well.

Good luck smile.gif
Nick

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:51 AM