The 7 Levels Of Jazz Harmony
Mertay
Sep 1 2019, 10:33 PM
GMC:er

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2019, 12:16 AM
Possible, yes.
Does anybody take it that far out behind a vocal or instrumental melody? No, or, only as an exercise.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 2 2019, 10:31 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 1 2019, 11:16 PM) *
Possible, yes.
Does anybody take it that far out behind a vocal or instrumental melody? No, or, only as an exercise.

I never got into the level 7 stuff but at college (though I was classically trained) they encourage lvl6 stuff almost right from the start on composition lessons.

Thinking back I do find it useful, very satisfying for experimenting specially at that age. One adopts a listening logic in time not easy to obtain without the knowlegde..but it has to be a piano, with guitar things get limited very quick.

Downside is you sort of forget the barrier of the real world biggrin.gif specially if attempting to mix those lvl's, someone saying you played the wrong note smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 2 2019, 11:14 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 2 2019, 05:10 PM
It's good to know all your possibilities but the truly 'good' arranger/composer/musician knows when a plain old G to C to D works just fine.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 9 2019, 10:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 2 2019, 06:10 PM) *
It's good to know all your possibilities but the truly 'good' arranger/composer/musician knows when a plain old G to C to D works just fine.

Now of course it's a completely different genre, but I keep hearing guys at Periphery actually don't know much theory, but just write by ear. There are many examples of people writing good music with either simple chords or not by advanced theory.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 9 2019, 02:04 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 9 2019, 09:38 AM) *
Now of course it's a completely different genre, but I keep hearing guys at Periphery actually don't know much theory, but just write by ear. There are many examples of people writing good music with either simple chords or not by advanced theory.

It's really not about that, I mean just because you know doesn't mean you have to use it. It's expanding a horizon for more freedom, not during but after the learning process infect one realizes the power of simplicity and use better.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 9 2019, 02:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 9 2019, 03:04 PM) *
It's really not about that, I mean just because you know doesn't mean you have to use it. It's expanding a horizon for more freedom, not during but after the learning process infect one realizes the power of simplicity and use better.

Oh, I agree. It was just to say some people don't learn it or know much. I appreciated knowing some theory and use it when writing.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:34 PM