Do I Need To Practice With Distortion?
Kempee
Jun 13 2007, 01:46 PM
GMC:er
do i need to practice with distortion? i practice scales, slurs, and alternate picking. i never use distortion i prefer a clean sound. can i learn from practicing with distortion? huh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jun 13 2007, 02:25 PM
QUOTE (Kempee @ Jun 13 2007, 08:46 AM) *
do i need to practice with distortion? i practice scales, slurs, and alternate picking. i never use distortion i prefer a clean sound. can i learn from practicing with distortion? huh.gif

you can if you want BUT, in my opinion distortion covers up some of your mistakes so you wont realize them. if you like clean, go for it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 13 2007, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Practicing CLEAN is good BUT it's also BAD because than you don't have to mute the strings. Later when you turn your distortion on you have problems with overall noise because you didn't practice muting which is very important for playing.

For example practicing sweeps is best with distortion cranked up all the way because than you'll learn how to properly mute the strings.

So the best would be to combine both!

P.S. playing with distortion doesn't cover mistakes unless you are stone deaf and can't hear them. Same goes for delay. People say DELAY covers the mistakes. Hell it does! It only doubles or triples them!!! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jun 13 2007, 03:30 PM
Instructor
I agree here.
I recomment practicing in clean, and distortion.
Both sounds require a different technique and it's important to be comfortable in both situations...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2007, 03:58 PM
Instructor
I definetely agree with Pavel and Walliman.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 06:13 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 13 2007, 09:21 AM) *
Practicing CLEAN is good BUT it's also BAD because than you don't have to mute the strings. Later when you turn your distortion on you have problems with overall noise because you didn't practice muting which is very important for playing.

For example practicing sweeps is best with distortion cranked up all the way because than you'll learn how to properly mute the strings.

So the best would be to combine both!
P.S. playing with distortion doesn't cover mistakes unless you are stone deaf and can't hear them. Same goes for delay. People say DELAY covers the mistakes. Hell it does! It only doubles or triples them!!! smile.gif

agree up to the p.s. that is an over generalization, for example, if one considers not being able to play a melody with sustained notes smoothly a mistake, as a good violinist would, it covers that type of mistake. that is just one example, there are others. same thing with distortion, there are aspects of playing that i would define as a mistake that it will cover up. i define mistake more broadly, more in terms of "something is wrong here", even when it may be hard to put one's finger on exactly what it is that is wrong. some styles of guitar music just need distortion as an essential ingredient. but for other things, if you can't play it clean and sound good, something is wrong.

edit: typo's

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 13 2007, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 13 2007, 06:15 PM
Instructor
That's why i said - practice both! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 13 2007, 07:54 PM
Learning Roadie
I think basically, as a general rule, if you want to do it, practice it. Therefore, you wanna play with distortion? Practice it tongue.gif And of course even if you don't want to do it there's other things you should practice. So yeah, what they said pretty much.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 13 2007, 08:26 PM
i never practice with clean sohnd unsure.gif , unless i dont have my guitar plugged.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jun 13 2007, 08:56 PM
I agree with Gabriel smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 13 2007, 09:25 PM
I practice almost exclusively with no amp. This is basically because I have a three year old son in bed!!!

I find when I play with the amp on - full tilt giving it big style distortion p*ss the neighbours off - I sometimes get open strings that haven't been muted in the background, it isn't a maor problem for me as it isn't all the time but when it happens it sounds awfull so I would use the distortion a lot more if I could.

This seems to be more of a problem when playing slower - when playing faster I don't seem to get dodgy string noises!!!

Most of my practice is without an amp so it is hard for me!

JT

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 13 2007, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Marraboy @ Jun 13 2007, 02:25 PM) *
I practice almost exclusively with no amp. This is basically because I have a three year old son in bed!!!

I find when I play with the amp on - full tilt giving it big style distortion p*ss the neighbours off - I sometimes get open strings that haven't been muted in the background, it isn't a maor problem for me as it isn't all the time but when it happens it sounds awfull so I would use the distortion a lot more if I could.

This seems to be more of a problem when playing slower - when playing faster I don't seem to get dodgy string noises!!!

Most of my practice is without an amp so it is hard for me!

JT

yea i cant practice with amp sometimes cuz of the neighbours!!! mad.gif mad.gif . But thats why i got some headphones. Marraboy you should consider getting some if u wanna practice with amp without bothering other people. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marraboy
Jun 13 2007, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jun 13 2007, 10:01 PM) *
yea i cant practice with amp sometimes cuz of the neighbours!!! mad.gif mad.gif . But thats why i got some headphones. Marraboy you should consider getting some if u wanna practice with amp without bothering other people. wink.gif

Hehe

You know I never even thought of that! duh! how stooooooopid of me! I might just buy some - that's a great idea dude! blink.gif

How did I not think of that?

Thanks

JT

Man I am stupid!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 13 2007, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Marraboy @ Jun 13 2007, 03:05 PM) *
Hehe

You know I never even thought of that! duh! how stooooooopid of me! I might just buy some - that's a great idea dude! blink.gif

How did I not think of that?

Thanks

JT

Man I am stupid!

im glad i helped smile.gif , sometimes i stay past midnight for hours practicing with my headphones! and nobody listens but me!. Have fun practicing! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:18 PM