6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Student/teacher Audio Collab., A recording I did this morning.
sammetal92
Oct 7 2013, 04:03 PM
GMC:er
That's so awesome biggrin.gif Scared? Man I was scared you would be scared to have me in the collab laugh.gif now I'll be waiting for your next collab biggrin.gif great job everyone smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 8 2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor
Thank you Pat - now everything seems to have fallen into place smile.gif

I think this collab really shows the power that we have when we join forces - pretty darn amazing, eh? biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 8 2013, 11:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 8 2013, 09:12 AM) *
Thank you Pat - now everything seems to have fallen into place smile.gif

I think this collab really shows the power that we have when we join forces - pretty darn amazing, eh? biggrin.gif

I could definitely hear an improvement from previous collabs in the different takes, so I'd say everyone has moved in the right direction!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 8 2013, 02:53 PM
Instructor
It went so good that now You have to make some more collabs Patrik! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 8 2013, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 8 2013, 03:53 PM) *
It went so good that now You have to make some more collabs Patrik! smile.gif

I agree with that! More, more!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 9 2013, 03:47 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Oct 6 2013, 06:01 PM) *
Blister - very chilled solo, you showed great restraint and your note choices were spot on. I had to boost the signal quite significantly but made very few other changes. Thank you for your take.

I believe this is my third attempt at jumping into the GMC collab arena. Thank you so much for your kind comments. smile.gif Regarding the need to "boost my signal", is there something I can adjust when recording to make a stronger signal?

I must agree with everyone else on how great this collab turned out. I am very pleased to be involved in it. I, too, am looking forward to your next collab! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Oct 9 2013, 04:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Oct 7 2013, 10:01 AM) *
Thank you everyone for making this a great collaboration, I love listening to each of your solos and the way you express your voices through your guitar to more or less reveal a bit of yourselves to my backing track. I added the solos in the same order that you gave the files to me (I know that's a bit lazy of me). I hope you enjoy.

Pat - learn to play the guitar would ya.

bleez - great solo mate, some very good ideas in there in particular your phrasing, pretty good guitar tone, personally I would have given it a bit more mids but that is a small issue to what is essentially a very good recording. Thank you for joining.

Darius - nothing to say here really other than thank you for a beautiful solo. Thank you.

Taka - wonderful rhythmic playing, great tone and some very nice phrasing in there. Thank you.

Cael - that is a seriously warm guitar tone, in fact it was so warm I had to boost some mid highs, I hope you don't mind. Great solo, very nice phrasing and melodies. Thanks for being a part of the collab.

Monica - great solo Monica, very nice note choices again and the tone is just great. Thank you

Sam - very nice little solo there sam, some very cool melodic ideas, don't be afraid of mids though, I love a scooped sound for rhythm but a solo needs mids to cut the mix. Thanks for being a part of the collab.

Ulrik - nice sliding melodies in the solo and a good guitar tone but if I'm not mistaken you are using old strings on your guitar which can cause intonations to go out and a very "wavy" sound. I added chorus, phase, reverb and delay to your sound. Thanks for your participation in the collab.

Blister - very chilled solo, you showed great restraint and your note choices were spot on. I had to boost the signal quite significantly but made very few other changes. Thank you for your take.

Cosmin - thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule and adding your solo. Great volume swells and those bends were very tasty indeed. Thanks again

https://soundcloud.com/patrik-berg-2/gmc-student-teacher

Thanks Pat, and great job to everyone who participated smile.gif The mix sounds great!Patrik, I think we are the only two Aussies active on GMC at the moment laugh.gif It just came to mind looking at your profile smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 9 2013, 08:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 9 2013, 02:47 AM) *
I believe this is my third attempt at jumping into the GMC collab arena. Thank you so much for your kind comments. smile.gif Regarding the need to "boost my signal", is there something I can adjust when recording to make a stronger signal?

I must agree with everyone else on how great this collab turned out. I am very pleased to be involved in it. I, too, am looking forward to your next collab! smile.gif

Hey Gary! What are you using to record? To increase the signal, you should turn the interface guitar input channel gain up, but be careful not to overdo it or the signal can become distorted.

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Oct 10 2013, 01:54 PM
Thank you to everyone that participated and thank you for your kind words, I think your solos were all outstanding.

QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 9 2013, 02:47 AM) *

What are you using to record with?

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Oct 9 2013, 03:53 AM) *
Thanks Pat, and great job to everyone who participated smile.gif The mix sounds great!Patrik, I think we are the only two Aussies active on GMC at the moment laugh.gif It just came to mind looking at your profile smile.gif

yeah there aren't too many of us aussies but we work on quality not quantity anyway biggrin.gif

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 11 2013, 12:58 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 9 2013, 02:36 AM) *
Hey Gary! What are you using to record? To increase the signal, you should turn the interface guitar input channel gain up, but be careful not to overdo it or the signal can become distorted.

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Oct 10 2013, 07:54 AM) *
What are you using to record with?

Guitar -> Line 6 UX1 Interface -> Reaper w/Overloud TH1 Amp Modeler Plugin

I went back to my Reaper project & noticed I could/should have increased the Output level in the TH1 plugin. Also, would increasing the Reaper Track level & Master level helped any? The "Output" control on the interface seems only to control the volume. I really appreciate the help! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Oct 11 2013, 01:20 AM
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 10 2013, 11:58 PM) *
Guitar -> Line 6 UX1 Interface -> Reaper w/Overloud TH1 Amp Modeler Plugin

I went back to my Reaper project & noticed I could/should have increased the Output level in the TH1 plugin. Also, would increasing the Reaper Track level & Master level helped any? The "Output" control on the interface seems only to control the volume. I really appreciate the help! smile.gif

I've never used a line 6 UX1 interface, is there a channel volume/gain? If so then make sure you have that turned up enough that when you see the meters in reaper starting to peak with the reaper sliders set to 0db then you are getting a strong signal. Once I have rendered my tracks I then open a new project in my DAW and drag the new track to it and then boost the whole thing with a peak limiter to get the volumes up to near CD volume. I'm probably not the best person to talk to about this as I'm quite new to it all too but why not send a PM to Todd, he is a guru when it comes to this kind of stuff.

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 11 2013, 08:29 AM
Instructor
Hey again Gary - glad you spotted the troublemaker smile.gif Indeed, when it comes down to digitized stuff - Todd is the man to go to. I am an analog guy and I am mainly using my ears to get my tones.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2013, 03:44 AM
Todd here ;0) You can increase the input gain on your interface or you can increase the output gain on TH2 or you can do both smile.gif:

Be aware of how "hot" you are making the signal. If you push it too hard, you will see the meter stick in the red line on reaper. And you will get too much noise sad.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 11 2013, 03:29 AM) *
Hey again Gary - glad you spotted the troublemaker smile.gif Indeed, when it comes down to digitized stuff - Todd is the man to go to. I am an analog guy and I am mainly using my ears to get my tones.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 12 2013, 08:08 AM
Instructor
Aye - Red, usually means 'turn it down a bit, will ya?' smile.gif Kidding aside, I was helping a bass player friend with some recording last evening and we had a lot of trouble from the input coming out of a Hellborg bass preamp. There was a weird almost imperceptible noise on the recording. We tried everything - using different cables, another bass, using a different input on the interface. It was still there... any clues? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 12 2013, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 11 2013, 09:44 PM) *
Todd here ;0) You can increase the input gain on your interface or you can increase the output gain on TH2 or you can do both smile.gif:

Be aware of how "hot" you are making the signal. If you push it too hard, you will see the meter stick in the red line on reaper. And you will get too much noise sad.gif

Todd

Thanks Todd, Cosmin & Patrik. Silly me! mellow.gif I should have known better. I guess I just haven't paid close enough attention to the output meter.

I was just worried more about getting the notes right! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 12:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 12 2013, 08:15 PM) *
Thanks Todd, Cosmin & Patrik. Silly me! mellow.gif I should have known better. I guess I just haven't paid close enough attention to the output meter.

I was just worried more about getting the notes right! biggrin.gif

No worries mate - you could work on a recording routine for the future:

- set everything in place
- make tests for the audio recording quality
- practice a few times with the Red light on and forget about it then
- leave it on and start playing and then after having 4-5 takes - select the one which is the best
- after that listen to it and see what you would like to perfect smile.gif
- re-record knowing exactly how your take should sound
- be careful to export the tracks with the exact settings

This is how I see it - how do you do it, mate?

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 23 2013, 05:07 AM
Sorry for the delay, I've been reading the forum but just didn't have the time to write anything. I always take to long in writing (I think way too much on what I'm writing). mad.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 06:39 AM) *
No worries mate - you could work on a recording routine for the future:

- set everything in place
- make tests for the audio recording quality
- practice a few times with the Red light on and forget about it then
- leave it on and start playing and then after having 4-5 takes - select the one which is the best
- after that listen to it and see what you would like to perfect smile.gif
- re-record knowing exactly how your take should sound
- be careful to export the tracks with the exact settings

This is how I see it - how do you do it, mate?

This is how I am recording now. I use Pod Farm & Overloud TH1 modeling software for my tones. What I didn't realize was that when I modify the amps & effects in the modeling software, my output level was being changed stronger or weaker (mostly weaker) & I overlooked adjusting it. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 24 2013, 09:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Oct 23 2013, 04:07 AM) *
Sorry for the delay, I've been reading the forum but just didn't have the time to write anything. I always take to long in writing (I think way too much on what I'm writing). mad.gif

This is how I am recording now. I use Pod Farm & Overloud TH1 modeling software for my tones. What I didn't realize was that when I modify the amps & effects in the modeling software, my output level was being changed stronger or weaker (mostly weaker) & I overlooked adjusting it. sad.gif

Well, now that you have spotted the issue, you can take care of not letting it meddle in your recordings again wink.gif There's another collab started by Patrick that you can jump in if you wish: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50346

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:21 AM