2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Anyone Else Find This Difficult
bleez
Oct 21 2013, 12:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker

Its probably quite a common exercise but it was new to me. Im finding it almost impossible to get my 3rd finger moving independently of my pinkie. I can do it better on the descending part of the exercise for some reason but going up the strings is a nightmare! Im literally staring at my 3rd finger trying to will it to move!

is this a tough exercise or is it me?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 21 2013, 01:27 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif It's only a matter of finger independence biggrin.gif Check this out, try it and in time, you'll manage to separate the third from the fourth. Out of what I know, they are anatomically linked, so they will always cause some fuss...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 21 2013, 01:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yes - it is normal that you are having trouble when starting to do these exercises.

Please check out this finger independance lesson series on GMC focusing on this approach : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...r-Independence/

3rd finger is our weakest finger on the hand and as such tends to take power from "neighbouring" fingers. Over time, as you train it and gain more independant finger strength, you'll notice it is getting easier to "separate" individual finger movements from other fingers.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 21 2013, 02:09 PM
GMC:er
Never had any problems with these kinds of exercises. But I've seen many many people have problems with them. Maybe cause I play in classical position, dunno.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
gregc1
Oct 21 2013, 02:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have the same issue Bleez. My little finger and ring finger are virtually locked together in motion. I have actually done this drill you posted quite a bit over time and it has helped but I do need to focus in on some of these independence exercises like the ones posted by Cosmin and Bogdan.

Speed has always been an issue for me and one of the main culprits is the relationship between those two fingers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 21 2013, 02:27 PM
Instructor
Your not alone smile.gif I have similar connection between those two fingers but somehow I'm able to separate them while playing. Probably only a matter of practice smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Oct 21 2013, 02:43 PM
Tone Seeker
Well, I can do it Ok. But this is really a great exercise. Thanks for sharing this vid wink.gif

An old teacher of mine showed this, it could be useful for you too.

Just keep all fingers on high e string and start doing hammer on and pull offs with finger 1 on b string. You have to keep all 3 fingers on e string. Then use finger 2, then 3 etc.

Sorry for background noise wink.gif

This post has been edited by WeePee: Oct 21 2013, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 21 2013, 06:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
cool, Its encouraging to know that some of you guys have had to work on this area as well smile.gif I was a bit surprised at just how difficult I found it!
Thanks very much for the vids as well, awesome ideas which I'll definitely be using. I like those a lot because they feel like a better starting point for me, it seems I'll need to put in a bit of work before I can even practice the original exercise.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Oct 21 2013, 06:31 PM
I wonder if Dr.Hotlicks has an exercise for getting into that sleeping bag on the wall behind him. laugh.gif

Joking aside...My wife is learning the Keyboard and has similar problems...I told her about these exercises.

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Oct 21 2013, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Oct 21 2013, 06:54 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
I have classical guitar background and this chromatic exercise is one of the first things you learn to do while learning classical guitar. It is very useful and important I think..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2013, 07:17 PM
Instructor
I used to practice lots of chromatic exercises in my diary routines so I don't think that finger independence gives me too much trouble but I have never played that exercise in that way and I don't find it easy. I will definitely add it to my practice.

Here I recorded my favourite independence exercise:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 21 2013, 09:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Oct 21 2013, 06:31 PM) *
I wonder if Dr.Hotlicks has an exercise for getting into that sleeping bag on the wall behind him. laugh.gif

Im sure he does..... he is a doctor afterall, so im guessing he's quite a clever chap smile.gif

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 21 2013, 07:17 PM) *
I used to practice lots of chromatic exercises in my diary routines so I don't think that finger independence gives me too much trouble but I have never played that exercise in that way and I don't find it easy. I will definitely add it to my practice.

Here I recorded my favourite independence exercise:

thats quite a clever exercise, I like it. cheers for posting it dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2013, 10:32 PM
Classical Guitar really helped me a TON with finger independence. There are so many etudes where you are playing a partial chord with several fingers moving one or two fingers to create a moving melody line. Part of why I am always suggesting folks get a classical guitar in addition to their acoustic and electric and learn just a few bits on Classical. smile.gif Not to mention the right hand picking work that is required which can also be applied in very interesting ways smile.gif

But you have to remember that especially here in the states, classical guitar as an instrument is a bit more rare IMHO than finding that someone has an electric and one acoustic. That's quite common. Less common is finding someone with electric, acoustic and nylon string classical. Also, finding instruction for classical is a pinch harder than finding instruction for electric, acoustic, even banjo. The first classical instructor I ever ran across wasn't until college! There was certainly no classical guitar instruction in high school or my local music stores.

QUICK POLL:

WHO HAS A NYLON STRING/CLASSICAL GUITAR?

WHO HAS HAD ANY CLASSICAL GUITAR PERSONAL INSTRUCTION?

Todd

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Oct 21 2013, 09:09 AM) *
Never had any problems with these kinds of exercises. But I've seen many many people have problems with them. Maybe cause I play in classical position, dunno.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 21 2013, 10:33 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 22 2013, 01:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 21 2013, 12:57 PM) *
Its probably quite a common exercise but it was new to me. Im finding it almost impossible to get my 3rd finger moving independently of my pinkie. I can do it better on the descending part of the exercise for some reason but going up the strings is a nightmare! Im literally staring at my 3rd finger trying to will it to move!

is this a tough exercise or is it me?

I really dont like exercises like this , I have found it trains many people to play four notes and when they skip strings there is a slight variation(pause) thus improperly training good alt. picking

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 22 2013, 02:22 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 21 2013, 09:32 PM) *

QUICK POLL:

WHO HAS A NYLON STRING/CLASSICAL GUITAR?

WHO HAS HAD ANY CLASSICAL GUITAR PERSONAL INSTRUCTION?

Todd

I borrowed a classical from a friend when I took a beginner course in college. The course helped me build some solid fundamentals. I don't have a classical/nylon around anymore but I will get one eventually. Really like classical etudes and would like to learn to play some on classical guitar.

As far as some of these finger training excersises I think are really good for building strength for finger indepenence. Perfect kind of practice while just watching some television. smile.gif I still play some of the Steve Vai training excersises which are similar to the video.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2013, 03:10 AM
I would say go for it!! smile.gif I have owned a classical ever since I studied it for bit in college and I still like playing it. Also, you can use a pick with it to get a sort of jazz like vibe. Mine has a pickup/eq built in for recording which is handy. It's an old Yamaha unit. You can pick up a used classical with onboard preamp for a couple/few hundred bux smile.gif

Todd

P.S.
JSCRSN: Well, you can't make everybody happy all the time smile.gif But you do seem prone to be just a tad "mr. grumpy pants" sometimes? We won't make you do this particular finger drill smile.gif So you won't have to worry about "training yourself to have gaps" and such. But for other folks, I'd say sure smile.gif It will help your finger independence.

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Oct 21 2013, 09:22 PM) *
I borrowed a classical from a friend when I took a beginner course in college. The course helped me build some solid fundamentals. I don't have a classical/nylon around anymore but I will get one eventually. Really like classical etudes and would like to learn to play some on classical guitar.

Attached Image
As far as some of these finger training excersises I think are really good for building strength for finger indepenence. Perfect kind of practice while just watching some television. smile.gif I still play some of the Steve Vai training excersises which are similar to the video.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 22 2013, 03:10 AM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 22 2013, 03:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2013, 03:10 AM) *
I would say go for it!! smile.gif I have owned a classical ever since I studied it for bit in college and I still like playing it. Also, you can use a pick with it to get a sort of jazz like vibe. Mine has a pickup/eq built in for recording which is handy. It's an old Yamaha unit. You can pick up a used classical with onboard preamp for a couple/few hundred bux smile.gif

Todd

P.S.
JSCRSN: Well, you can't make everybody happy all the time smile.gif But you do seem prone to be just a tad "mr. grumpy pants" sometimes? We won't make you do this particular finger drill smile.gif So you won't have to worry about "training yourself to have gaps" and such. But for other folks, I'd say sure smile.gif It will help your finger independence.

just cause I dont agree with your political views doesn't mean you got to get lippy

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 22 2013, 04:08 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 22 2013, 02:10 AM) *

Todd

The classical I borrowed was actually a older Yamaha w/ pickup & eq and the one you have looks similar. smile.gif High quality guitar, great sound and played very comfotable! Probably exactly what I will go for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2013, 08:12 AM
Instructor
All my classical trained friends have amazing finger independence - there's this guy that I play at Mozart Rocks! with - I've seen him play some very intricate chord shapes and solo in the same time on the classical guitar. Onstage he uses this sort of instrument: http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmultnylonsap.htm and it sounds heavenly!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 22 2013, 03:05 PM
Instructor
I'm very glad that my father sent me to the music school. Those years of playing classic guitar gave me lot! Still own some classics smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:21 AM