Univox Guitar?, has anyone ever heard of the guitar brand Univox?
guitar4mylife
Feb 13 2008, 01:54 PM
GMC:er
hi i am currently using my uncles old guitar. i was curious about what brand it was because i have never heard of it. after looking online i have an Univox Hi Flyer (guitar in my signiture). i have called multiple guitar stores and they have never heard of it laugh.gif . anyway if anyone has ever heard of an Univox guitar please post

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 13 2008, 02:00 PM
Kurt Cobain had one near the start of Nirvana. Good guitar but hard to keep in tune I believe. The guitar on the Nirvana - Bleach cover is a Univox guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 13 2008, 02:03 PM
http://www.univox.org/history.html

Interesting, seems they were completely bought out by Korg though.

Is it a pre-1975 one? Apparently the ones made after that point were Japanese, might be worth more if you have an american one smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 13 2008, 11:39 PM
Instructor
i think its an old version Guitar i saw once befor

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 14 2008, 12:09 AM
I have a coworker who collects them. I personally cannot stand them. The "roller" bridge makes the strings constantly go out of tune as they pop out of place with moderate playing. The tuners are horrible and go out of tune contantly. I'm not a big fan of the tone. The frets are a might too small for my liking (plus all of his are 30+ years old). He has actually 1 Univox and 2 Mosrite Univox clones that are said in many circles to be apparently superior. It's a niche guitar as I believe the Ramones featured one as well. He's big into punk and it suits his needs perfectly. It is really light weight, very low profile, but I could never make it a mainstay because of A. The bridge. B. the pickups/sound C. Tuners D. reverse cutaway body doesn't give good access to higher registers.

I believe he pays between $300 to $500 for a vintage Mosrite/Uni in good condition. Considering they're an "off" brand guitar, that's a pretty respectable selling point. He calls it a "beast", but apparently my definition and his are very different. Of course, I play metal and he plays punk.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
stratman33
Feb 14 2008, 01:01 AM
i hate that type of bridge dry.gif

oh, and what do you know its the kind of bridge on my guitar mad.gif lol

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:56 AM