The Guitar Is No Longer A Lead Instrument
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2018, 03:14 PM
Instructor
Muse’s Matt Bellamy: “The guitar has become a textural instrument rather than a lead instrument”

Attached Image

The guitarist went on to say, “What's exciting about this period of music is you can mix classical with hip-hop and rock in the same song.

“As a rock band you're slightly one foot in the past, playing instruments like guitar, bass and drums.”

https://www.musicradar.com/news/muses-matt-...lead-instrument

Should we delete all GMC Solo lessons??? or maybe start the site NoGuitarMasterClass.net laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Feb 23 2018, 03:25 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 23 2018, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
TexturalGuitar.net or
NoLeadGuitarMasterclass.net
laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 23 2018, 05:16 PM
Experienced Rock Star
hahaha nice touch guys! smile.gif
Or on the other hand it can be a revolutionary title like prohibitedsologuitarmasterclass cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2018, 05:20 PM
Instructor
anti-solo.net

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=anti-solo

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2018, 05:30 PM
They said the same thing in the late 70s and early 80s with the advent of punk and new wave ... then came hair metal.
They said the same thing in the late 90s and early 00s with 'indie', 'alternative', 'americana' and all of their sub genres ... and then came Derek Trucks and Joe Bonamassa.
Rock and Roll, along with the 'lead' guitar have died several deaths since the late 50s, only to be resuscitated again and again.
The electric lead guitar and rock and roll music are the vampires of modern art. As they should be.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 23 2018, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2018, 05:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 23 2018, 01:30 PM) *
The electric lead guitar and rock and roll music are the vampires of modern art.

Love that quote. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 23 2018, 08:34 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
After listening to his solos I'm thinking maybe he should join GMC wacko.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 23 2018, 10:24 PM
AK makes a good and maybe obvious point. Consider the source.
I dig Muse. Cool tunes, cool production, cool vibe. But Matt Bellamy is more of a textural player. And believe me, I don't mean to take anything away from his playing. He and that band found a niche in the same way that the Edge did with U2, Andy Summers with the Police and Johnny Marr w/the Smiths. None of those guys were 'soloists' but they changed (I would say 'evolved') the way guitar was seen, heard and utilized in modern pop and rock music.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 23 2018, 10:25 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 23 2018, 11:29 PM
Consider the source. In MUSE, yes the guitar is a textural instrument. Sadly, MUSE has NO LEAD PLAYERS as far as I can tell. At least I've never heard anything I'd consider a real lead played by them. So yeah, for these guys, it's texture. The good news is there are still folks like the guys from FINLAND who still know how to play lead and still freaking RAWk. Even through they look like they came from the 80s in L.A. smile.gif

about 1:15 in to the vid they just start ripping the leads like I have not heard in a while. They are pretty darn amazing.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 24 2018, 01:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 23 2018, 10:24 PM) *
AK makes a good and maybe obvious point. Consider the source.
I dig Muse. Cool tunes, cool production, cool vibe. But Matt Bellamy is more of a textural player. And believe me, I don't mean to take anything away from his playing. He and that band found a niche in the same way that the Edge did with U2, Andy Summers with the Police and Johnny Marr w/the Smiths. None of those guys were 'soloists' but they changed (I would say 'evolved') the way guitar was seen, heard and utilized in modern pop and rock music.

moral of this thread " don't learn lead from a "textural " player "

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2018, 04:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 24 2018, 09:58 AM) *
moral of this thread " don't learn lead from a "textural " player "

hahaha laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
krakou
Mar 1 2018, 08:48 AM
Learning Roadie
I think he's right but also that it's a little bit more complicated than that.
Back in the 70's, guitar was the iconic instrument and kids were listening to Floyd, Led Zep,..
From 60's to 00', most on what you could listen on the radio was "guitar based".
Now most of the music is made with computers, with lots of percussions, samples, and so on.
And it's no longer rock but hip-hop, rap or techno.
Regarding that factsn the Muse dude is correct.
But on the other hand, you can see that the world is not black or white, and there are lots of different musical tribes.
It is perfectly possible that around the world there are more people playing guitar than ever, but you will never touch that reality if you listen to mainstream music.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 1 2018, 01:44 PM
Learning Roadie
The guitar is no longer JUST a lead instrument.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 1 2018, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (krakou @ Mar 1 2018, 12:48 AM) *
From 60's to 00', most on what you could listen on the radio was "guitar based".
Now most of the music is made with computers, with lots of percussions, samples, and so on.

Not really. There were several multi-year periods where pop music and pop culture took a break from guitar, especially "lead" guitar. I briefly mention them in my first post in this thread. I'll get a little more detailed now ...

In the late 50s (1958/59 til about 1963), post Chuck Berry, Elvis and Buddy Holly and before the Beatles exploded in 1964 pop/rock was dominated by good looking singers doing syrupy teen love songs or vocal group soul music: Fabian, Bobby Vee, Chubby Checker, Bobby Darin, the Coasters, the Platters, Lloyd Price, etc. None of this featured really any kind of lead guitar. Tenor Saxophone was the solo instrument of the day.

Briefly in the mid 1970s with the rise of disco ala 'Saturday Night Fever'. Groups like the Bee Gees, Heatwave, Tavares, Hues Corporation, Donna Summer, etc, had awesome rhythm guitar but very little lead guitar.

Early 80s - Punk, New Wave, Techno, early Hip-Hop. Again, rhythm guitar - very little lead. *No guitar at all in the techno and the hiphop.

Until about 1985 or so when you get L.A. 'Hair' Metal. Boom! Resurgence of LEAD guitar.

Slight break from "showy" lead guitar again with the whole Indie and Americana thing circa late 90s (post Pearl Jam and Soundgarden).

During every one of these guitar hiatus's music critics as well as musicians proclaimed that "guitar is dead" (or, rock is dead).

Of course throughout it all, we've had Metal, which features both lead and rhythm guitars. OK, maybe not super popular but there's always a loyal core audience. Same for fusion music. And electric lead guitar is dominant or at least prominent in both.

*Right now in Jazz land, guitar is probably the most popular instrument. About time. It's only been like 90+ friggin years of piano, sax and trumpet domination.

Everything is cyclical.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 1 2018, 05:51 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:48 PM