And Fingerpicking Players Out There?
fkalich
Jun 6 2007, 05:43 AM
GMC:er
I don't really find anything on the site. i mean with syncopated rhythm.

here is an example of what i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReW9uUYm-DA&NR=1

my request, is for any advice on how to get my brain to be able to do the two things at once, never been able to get it to do that, i would give up, thinking maybe it just is not in me. any advice? (other than "your right, give up").

another example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5mHAy6zjs...ted&search=

i would like to learn to play this style, but need some help getting past the doing two things at once mental block.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 6 2007, 06:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CrashOops
Jun 6 2007, 07:06 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 5 2007, 09:43 PM) *
I don't really find anything on the site. i mean with syncopated rhythm.

here is an example of what i am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReW9uUYm-DA&NR=1

my request, is for any advice on how to get my brain to be able to do the two things at once, never been able to get it to do that, i would give up, thinking maybe it just is not in me. any advice? (other than "your right, give up").

another example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot5mHAy6zjs...ted&search=

i would like to learn to play this style, but need some help getting past the doing two things at once mental block.

If I am reading your question right. you are having a hard time concentrating on finger picking with your right hand while forming chords with your left correct?
I think the best thing to do would be to get the right hand part down to the point you barely have to think about what's next, and then do the same with the left seperately. then put them together one left hand chord at a time at a slow tempo until you are able to transition smoothly.
I hope that helps a little bit. that's what I would do anyway.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez GRX20 Jewel Blue

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 6 2007, 09:47 AM
QUOTE (CrashOops @ Jun 6 2007, 01:06 AM) *
If I am reading your question right. you are having a hard time concentrating on finger picking with your right hand while forming chords with your left correct?
I think the best thing to do would be to get the right hand part down to the point you barely have to think about what's next, and then do the same with the left seperately. then put them together one left hand chord at a time at a slow tempo until you are able to transition smoothly.
I hope that helps a little bit. that's what I would do anyway.

that is good advice, i will keep that in mind should i notice that problem, thanks. however i was not clear, that is not my immediate issue.

i am talking about the way the good finger pickers syncopate a bass rhythm against the melody, you know, the bass lines notes at times will occur at different timings than the melody notes, so your really have to be multitasking, like you are two different players, that is clearly what really good finger pickers do. Only the two parts of your brain need to operate the left hand in multitasking fashion. I really feel these guys learn to send two steams of commands to the left hand from the brain. i am wondering if anyone has advice on that. perhaps some exercises to help get me there.

i want to be able to do this, but i can see that this is very related to shredding, very similar, albeit on acoustic. I have to feel that any shredder who learned this style, would end up a much better shredder. Which is part of the draw for me.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 6 2007, 01:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 6 2007, 04:47 AM) *
that is good advice, i will keep that in mind should i notice that problem, thanks. however i was not clear, that is not my immediate issue.

i am talking about the way the good finger pickers syncopate a bass rhythm against the melody, you know, the bass lines notes at times will occur at different timings than the melody notes, so your really have to be multitasking, like you are two different players, that is clearly what really good finger pickers do. Only the two parts of your brain need to operate the left hand in multitasking fashion. I really feel these guys learn to send two steams of commands to the left hand from the brain. i am wondering if anyone has advice on that. perhaps some exercises to help get me there.

i want to be able to do this, but i can see that this is very related to shredding, very similar, albeit on acoustic. I have to feel that any shredder who learned this style, would end up a much better shredder. Which is part of the draw for me.

Not surprisingly, its just practice ... when I play stuff like that I'm not concious of sending 2 streams to my picking had (you said left but did you mean right, or are you a lefty?), or my other hand for that matter. Its a little hard to explain, but I started out doing that stuff and just like with picking or anything else, after practice you aren't telling your fingers to play the individual notes one at a time, you are thinging in timing counterpoint and phrasing.

The first time you tried picking for example, you had to concentrate on moving the pick the right way, what finger to put where on the left hand, think about the next note, maybe moving up a string on the left hand, then on the right hand to maych it - how does your brain cope with all those things? Practice - now you do it without thinking.

So, its just the same with the kind of playing you are talking about. Pick a piece. Play it step by step, slowly until you get it up to speed. The next will be easier, then the next will be easier still. Its just practice, like anything, there is nothing daunting about it, you just need to put in the time.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Jun 8 2007, 12:46 AM
new fingerpicking-ish lesson just came out biggrin.gif

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 8 2007, 01:58 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 6 2007, 07:34 AM) *
Not surprisingly, its just practice ... when I play stuff like that I'm not concious of sending 2 streams to my picking had (you said left but did you mean right, or are you a lefty?), or my other hand for that matter. Its a little hard to explain, but I started out doing that stuff and just like with picking or anything else, after practice you aren't telling your fingers to play the individual notes one at a time, you are thinging in timing counterpoint and phrasing.

The first time you tried picking for example, you had to concentrate on moving the pick the right way, what finger to put where on the left hand, think about the next note, maybe moving up a string on the left hand, then on the right hand to maych it - how does your brain cope with all those things? Practice - now you do it without thinking.

So, its just the same with the kind of playing you are talking about. Pick a piece. Play it step by step, slowly until you get it up to speed. The next will be easier, then the next will be easier still. Its just practice, like anything, there is nothing daunting about it, you just need to put in the time.

thanks andrew. this is the piece i am going to work on. i think that is a good choice. i sort of learned it when i was a kid, just sort of, sloppy. i do think that if one was able to really look at the brain activity, one would see that you really have two command streams going on, somewhat separate from each other. and that is the trick. i will let you know when i get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNhGlVMqqzI

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 03:50 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 7 2007, 08:58 PM) *
thanks andrew. this is the piece i am going to work on. i think that is a good choice. i sort of learned it when i was a kid, just sort of, sloppy. i do think that if one was able to really look at the brain activity, one would see that you really have two command streams going on, somewhat separate from each other. and that is the trick. i will let you know when i get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNhGlVMqqzI

That's a nice piece smile.gif My favourite to impress the chicks is "More than words" and there is another really cool one by Genesis, but I can't remember its name - I always pull those out to impress.

Doubtless, somewhere your brain is processing 2 command streams, but I am truly not aware of it when I am playing that kind of stuff - the brain is a wonderful thing ... good luck, and post a recording when you are up to speed smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 8 2007, 06:34 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 7 2007, 09:50 PM) *
That's a nice piece smile.gif My favourite to impress the chicks is "More than words" and there is another really cool one by Genesis, but I can't remember its name - I always pull those out to impress.

thanks. i need all the help i can get in that department. although i have reached the point in my life where the targets are hens, rather than chicks.

+Quote Post
Kaneda
Jun 8 2007, 08:21 AM
Other side of the coin
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 8 2007, 04:50 AM) *
That's a nice piece smile.gif My favourite to impress the chicks is "More than words"

Classic, yeah. One of those songs where two guys can sound like they're lovers, and yet attract girls. tongue.gif

Plus, it works for the non-guitarist half of the duo too - my girlfriend is a "More than words" victim. laugh.gif Shape of My Heart is another favorite of mine. Not as "impressive" finger-picking wise, though smile.gif

And all this reminds me I need to find myself an acoustic soon.

This post has been edited by Kaneda: Jun 8 2007, 08:33 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 8 2007, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 8 2007, 01:34 AM) *
thanks. i need all the help i can get in that department. although i have reached the point in my life where the targets are hens, rather than chicks.

Somewhat back on topic: fkalich, I keep meaning to say that I like your analytical approach to guitar playing, it makes for some very interesting threads smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:09 PM