Smoke On The Water Take 2
glengraf88
Mar 3 2009, 06:10 AM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAc6gLnnEqY This is my second attempt at it. Please tell me what you think. Also for some reason when i record the sound always comes out messed up the volume changes. I have a podxt live i believe you can record with that not sure though. Do you know if any one has a lesson on the podxtlive If so that would be great.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 3 2009, 06:43 AM
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Mar 3 2009, 06:10 AM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAc6gLnnEqY This is my second attempt at it. Please tell me what you think. Also for some reason when i record the sound always comes out messed up the volume changes. I have a podxt live i believe you can record with that not sure though. Do you know if any one has a lesson on the podxtlive If so that would be great.

Hey man, what I do to record is just bought a little chord with two ends like a headphones jack. The I plug it into the line out or headphones on the pod, and the other end into the mic jack on the computer. The podxt can do it through usb i believe, but i wouldn't worry about that just yet.

The chords are super cheap, you might even have one already. As for the playing, your coming along dude. Spend a couple mins listening and feeling the groove, and most of all relax. Try not to get into the habit of tensing up when playing (not that your doing it, just giving advice). Be well aware of trying to stay relaxed at all time and you'll get faster way quicker.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 3 2009, 07:23 AM
QUOTE (Sircraigery @ Mar 2 2009, 11:43 PM) *
Hey man, what I do to record is just bought a little chord with two ends like a headphones jack. The I plug it into the line out or headphones on the pod, and the other end into the mic jack on the computer. The podxt can do it through usb i believe, but i wouldn't worry about that just yet.

The chords are super cheap, you might even have one already. As for the playing, your coming along dude. Spend a couple mins listening and feeling the groove, and most of all relax. Try not to get into the habit of tensing up when playing (not that your doing it, just giving advice). Be well aware of trying to stay relaxed at all time and you'll get faster way quicker.

I will have to give that a shot tomorrow. I believe i have one of those cords. I do feel that i am not relaxed while playing maybe that is because i am not comfortable with the guitar yet and not knowing my way around the fretboard yet.. But i will try to make a conscious note of trying to stay relaxed.

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 3 2009, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (glengraf88 @ Mar 3 2009, 07:23 AM) *
I will have to give that a shot tomorrow. I believe i have one of those cords. I do feel that i am not relaxed while playing maybe that is because i am not comfortable with the guitar yet and not knowing my way around the fretboard yet.. But i will try to make a conscious note of trying to stay relaxed.

Yeah man, I wanted to make a note of it because your a beginner is all. smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Mar 3 2009, 09:33 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi glengraf88

Seems to go along nicely.. not long before it's just going smoothly..
I would suggest working a little on your timing to really get it tight.

In this particular song, what i like to do is playing the riff using my 3rd and 4th finger instead of using the pick..
I have the pick in my hand as usual.. between thumb and index finger, but instead of playing with the pick, i use my bad mutherfinger (whats it even called in english? haha) and ring finger and plucking the strings at the same time.

This is not for everyone, but it works for me.. I find it a lot simpler as i dont have to worry about hitting other strings as i have to do using the pick.. also the sound is a little different as you are sounding both notes at the same time instead of the second note being played slightly later than the first..

I hope i explained it good enough.. if not just ask me.. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 3 2009, 02:17 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi there!

sound quality aside, I think this was much better than last time - you played the whole riff correctly and stayed in time generally with the riff.

As others have said, the thing you most need to work on now is the timing of your individual chord hits, and also pay a little attention to only hitting the correct strings - in a couple of places you were hitting some wrong notes.

The way to approach this is to play the riff over and over very slowly to a metronome or backing track (which is why there are slow backing tracks in the lesson). If you try this for a few practice sessions you should see your accuracy start to improve when you go back to full speed.

Definitely heading in the right direction - looking forward to take 3!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
glengraf88
Mar 3 2009, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 3 2009, 07:17 AM) *
Hi there!

sound quality aside, I think this was much better than last time - you played the whole riff correctly and stayed in time generally with the riff.

As others have said, the thing you most need to work on now is the timing of your individual chord hits, and also pay a little attention to only hitting the correct strings - in a couple of places you were hitting some wrong notes.

The way to approach this is to play the riff over and over very slowly to a metronome or backing track (which is why there are slow backing tracks in the lesson). If you try this for a few practice sessions you should see your accuracy start to improve when you go back to full speed.

Definitely heading in the right direction - looking forward to take 3!

Thanks for the input I will keep at it.

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 3 2009, 11:45 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Improvement is visible and hear able:) Can't give better advices than the ones that are already given - practice slowly, listen to the music and take three shall be posted soon showing another improvement:)

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:32 PM