Drop D Tuning ?
Sina
Jun 20 2008, 07:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi guys laugh.gif ,

Today when I heard Moon Baby (Godsmack) I wanted to learn it on my guitar, I looked for the tabs and they didn't look 2 hard for me to practice. But, it said I needed a "Drop D" tuning , and I wondered what that was... XD

So hopefully somebody can help me out and I would really appreciate it unsure.gif .

Thx A Lot ^^

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Jun 20 2008, 07:55 PM
It means you tune the low E string (the thickest string) down to D, and leave all the other strings unchanged.

If you don't have the ear for it, you will probably need a digital tuner.

I remember it was not long ago when i was asking the same question. biggrin.gif

Hope this helps!

-Chris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jun 20 2008, 07:55 PM
its the same tuning as standard E except you tune the thick E string down to D.

so it would be

E -1
B
G
D
A
D -6

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 21 2008, 01:38 AM
just flick the low e and tune it to the same tone as the d string

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 21 2008, 02:33 AM
example of drop D by arguably greatest finger picking guitarist of all time. Recording is 30 years old, he is dead now.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ReW9uUYm-DA

+Quote Post
Sina
Jun 22 2008, 10:17 PM
Ok I'll try it thx a lot guys ^^ , and Ctodd ur absolutely right I do need a digital tuner... XD

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 22 2008, 10:30 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I was suprised to find that Hank Jr plays alot of drop D. Been working on "A Country Boy Can Survive". It's in drop D

If you have a floating bridge, it will detune the rest of the strings. You will need to tune up a half step or so from the high E so as you work your way down to the low E or in this case D, all will be close. Then you can use your fine tuners on the bridge to get them exact.

This post has been edited by skennington: Jun 22 2008, 10:31 PM

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Jun 23 2008, 04:14 PM
QUOTE (Sina @ Jun 20 2008, 09:47 PM) *
Hi guys laugh.gif ,

Today when I heard Moon Baby (Godsmack) I wanted to learn it on my guitar, I looked for the tabs and they didn't look 2 hard for me to practice. But, it said I needed a "Drop D" tuning , and I wondered what that was... XD

So hopefully somebody can help me out and I would really appreciate it unsure.gif .

Thx A Lot ^^

...and of course the great things with Drop-D is that it means that your lowest string is lower in frequency than in standard E which is good for heavy riffs and palm muting, and it also means that power chords on strings 6, 5 and 4 (the thickest) are dead simple e.g. just pick any fret and barre the D and A strings or D, A and D strings with 1 finger!

Also, I think there is something about tuning to drop-d in Ivan's tuning tutorial: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...uning-tutorial/

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Jun 23 2008, 04:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:35 AM