2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Funky Fusion Collaboration! :), UPLOADS & COMMENTS THREAD! :)
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Please post your takes here guys, so I can comment them! Thanks smile.gif

Here's the backing link:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=16124

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 11 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just couldnt get a feel for this one mellow.gif but gave it a shot, I might do another take......

Attached File  funky_fusion_collab_NBT.mp3 ( 646.68K ) Number of downloads: 165

Attached File  funky_fusion_collab.mp3 ( 646.68K ) Number of downloads: 188

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 11 2009, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
I'm starting to get the impression that I take these collaboration instructions and run with them in very unlikely directions. I sure hope folks will warn me if my take(s) are too far out of the scope of the assignment or just terrible or something smile.gif

Also: this one was tough. I'm not used to playing funky in something so major, great mental exercise.

Attached File  IMFF_jafomatic_with_bt.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 195

Attached File  IMFF_jafomatic_mute_bt.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 133

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 11 2009, 11:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Jun 11 2009, 09:14 PM) *
Just couldnt get a feel for this one mellow.gif but gave it a shot, I might do another take......

Attached File  funky_fusion_collab_NBT.mp3 ( 646.68K ) Number of downloads: 165

Attached File  funky_fusion_collab.mp3 ( 646.68K ) Number of downloads: 188

What are you talking about it's great! smile.gif Very very good rhythmic structure, you used note durations as a mean of improvising which is excellent. I like the sound of the guitar as well!
You used mostly bluesy and dorian style licks which get along great with this kind of a track. I think only a more steady vibrato could be applied here. If you want to do another take it would surely be welcomed, but this one is good if you ask me. You have lots of pull off licks, and I like the way you made a small melody and used similar fretting patterns but in different positions to create a cool vibe and call&response effect. Very nice. What I would like to insert here is some kind of a simple repetative lick that is a bit faster to break out of the usual rhythmic components. Possibly some bluesy looped lick that you know very well and just circle it around a little in some part, I'm sure it will get along well! smile.gif

QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jun 11 2009, 09:41 PM) *
I'm starting to get the impression that I take these collaboration instructions and run with them in very unlikely directions. I sure hope folks will warn me if my take(s) are too far out of the scope of the assignment or just terrible or something smile.gif

Also: this one was tough. I'm not used to playing funky in something so major, great mental exercise.

Attached File  IMFF_jafomatic_with_bt.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 195

Attached File  IMFF_jafomatic_mute_bt.mp3 ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 133

Again great sound, and very interesting sound, I like it veeeery much! biggrin.gif Great theme development from the beginning. The guitar tone has some sort of a filter on it, so in some times it is audible and some times it isn't that much because of the cuttof, but I got a great impression from it! This is a fine example how a simple thing can sound awesome! I understand what you tried to do here, it sounds very nice, but I could possibly suggest couple of more details just for experimenting sake. Maybe one or two bends to really get them repeated with those delays I thing they would sound very effective, specially on ends of those small phrases. I like your rhythmic structure where phrases are not on the first beat, but on second, more weaker beat within a bar. This gives a great contrast to the backing, very nicely executed as well, hardly no mistakes. Perhaps tighting up all the notes even more, and inserting some unusual effects like big slides, sharp bends, scratches or something would definitely pop out in this futuristic sounding solo! Well done! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 12 2009, 08:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for that mate! Really wasnt feeling this one but it just goes to show really, blues will always come first with me but I want to be as versatile as possible so I've decided to throw myself at anything that comes up now, barring the really hard rock stuff! Thanks again mate, the critique is very encouraging! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 12 2009, 09:52 PM
Instructor
I think you really got a cool vibe in this solo, really good playing and nice sound! Some neighbour notes could be used as well, those are notes outside of the scale. For example you can try to play something like this:

high E ----5-6-7-8---

and then carry on with some blues lick, it will turn out jazzy, try it out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jun 12 2009, 09:53 PM
Thank you so much, Ivan, for the detailed feedback and suggestions! I will see if I have time to retrack it with tighter playing and perhaps a small rearrangement to allow a little more expression in a note or two.

As for filters, there are quite a few in use but the bulk of the work is the fruity love philter on the distorted guitar track; perhaps I need to lower the wet level of that effect but I really liked the bubbly-70's-phasing that it produced when combined with the delay.

Fortunately all of those effects were done in mastering, the original tracks are intact if you feel I should remix this.

Looks like this in my DAW:

Attached Image

Anyway, thanks again. These collaborations are fun and challenging and quite addicting, really just a great process and a joy to be a part of.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 12 2009, 09:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 12 2009, 09:52 PM) *
I think you really got a cool vibe in this solo, really good playing and nice sound! Some neighbour notes could be used as well, those are notes outside of the scale. For example you can try to play something like this:

high E ----5-6-7-8---

and then carry on with some blues lick, it will turn out jazzy, try it out smile.gif

Sure mate! thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jun 14 2009, 05:12 PM
Just something a little goofy I did with coffee this morning. Nothing of consequence here. tongue.gif

Attached File  IVAN_FF_TOR.mp3 ( 946.21K ) Number of downloads: 213

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 15 2009, 11:42 AM
Instructor
Very good take man! smile.gif
You used E and A extensively in this take which is a good thing, you kinda nailed that interval and circled around it as your main theme in this solo. E is picked 4 times and A only once every time which is somewhat interesting from rhythmic point of view as well. What I would really love to hear more in this take is more of those nice bluesy or any kind of pentatonic licks that you started doing a bit in the second part of the solo. They sounded very cool and get along with this track nicely. Other useful things that I can suggest is to use more slides to make it sound more flowing, and using more neighbour notes. If you have A minor pentatonic that you can use, why not using other notes around the boxes as well? Take a box that you are familiar with (for example box 1 on the 5th fret), and just use other notes using some slower note durations just to get the feel of it. You will see that using all the notes from bellow:
CODE
E----A--A#-B--C--
B----E-----F#-G--
G----C--C#-D--D#-
D----G--G#-A----
A----D--D#-E----
E----A--A#-B--C--

Try using all those notes slowly and you will see that you can get some pretty interesting results. Just make sure you always land on strong notes of the scale (in this case those would not be all those notes outside the scale, notes with sharps).
As far as the sound goes I like it a lot, nice clean sound with some added effects that sounds like envelope filter, very cool. The sound itself is a bit thin, but recording it a bit louder could be the key, or perhaps just finding a good dynamic preset. This is not an easy task with software modelers and it takes a lot of experimenting so I guess this is my suggestion here - experiment as much as you can with lot of different clean sounds and settings until you find the sweet spot. Most of the time it is just a matter of luck.
All in all great take, nice cool licks, and cool theme, little bit too repetative if you ask me, but if you went with it, liked it, and just got into the groove with it, then I really see no bad thing in that. Rhythmically the whole take was very stable, you haven't lost a note and I find it quite effective. Cheers mate, very well done! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 16 2009, 12:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jun 15 2009, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 15 2009, 06:42 AM) *
Very good take man! smile.gif

Glad you liked it Ivan. smile.gif It was just kind of a 'throw it out there' thing.

Just make sure you always land on strong notes of the scale (in this case those would be all those notes outside the scale, notes with sharps).

huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 12:34 PM
Instructor
Sorry, typo! smile.gif What I meant, strong notes are NOT the ones with sharps. Thanks for noticing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jun 16 2009, 02:35 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 16 2009, 07:34 AM) *
Sorry, typo! smile.gif What I meant, strong notes are NOT the ones with sharps. Thanks for noticing! smile.gif

Well yeah, there's that. But how can I land on the strong notes of the scale if they are notes OUTSIDE the scale. Confusion! huh.gif ohmy.gif huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 03:16 PM
Instructor
It's actually very simple man! smile.gif

Strong notes are the notes within a scale, those are the notes C D E G A. Then you can take all other notes (based on that diagram) and just use them ocassionally. "Landing on the note" means playing that note in some important part of the bar or tune, like for example landing on a note in the first measure of the bar. During the course of the bar you can use some neighbour notes but always watch out so that the main notes (C D E G A) are not lost our of focus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 16 2009, 08:11 PM
here we go!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Marcfunkybt.mp3 ( 595.6K ) Number of downloads: 151
Attached File  MarcFunkynobt.mp3 ( 564.58K ) Number of downloads: 124

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2009, 09:49 PM
Instructor
Very good take Marc! smile.gif
The first thing I notice is the lack of a good structure. You got some nice fast chops, but there isn't a real musical quality to it, mostly runs up & down and what it sound like random lick playing. This however is not bad IMO, good technique is always a good technique. What you do with that technique is a lot more important. I advise that you slow down your playing a bit, clean it up, and really put all the notes in their corresponding places. If you have a 16th triplet note run, make sure you keep it 16th note triplet from beginning to the end, and that you are aware where the beginning and where the end is. Rhtyhmically there are several different note durations within the take but they should be in a better relationship with each other, so you create a nice steady flow of notes that will involve the listener.
You sound is very good, a bit harsh, but cuts through the mix well. Perhaps lower down the presense a bit to get a more softer tone would be nice thing to consider.
If you find the time another shot at this would be great! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jun 16 2009, 10:11 PM
i understand what you are saying,

ill start working on it again, ill admit this wasnt my greatest effort, i was under the impression i was late for this one so i wanted to get this one done as soon as possible, but i see that i have a week more

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 17 2009, 11:35 AM
Instructor
OK man, plenty more time, I'm awaiting the next take then! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jun 18 2009, 01:22 AM
Here's mine:

Attached File  TheKeplerConjecture_FunkyFusion.mp3 ( 600.04K ) Number of downloads: 330

Attached File  TheKeplerConjecture_FunkyFusion_NBT.mp3 ( 596.26K ) Number of downloads: 135

This was a challenging track to solo over. It was hard to find a "feel" for some reason.

Been listening to a lot of Frank Zappa and Ron Jarzombek recently. And I guess that makes me come up with rhythmic ideas that I can't actually execute (as you'll hear).

Thanks in advance for comments!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 03:25 PM
Instructor
Very nice note placement, and I like the rhythmic placement as well. It's a little too filled with those pauses if you know what I mean, I understand that rhythmically the pauses should be a part of the structure, but try not to keep it too repetitive, specially towards the end of the solo.
As far as the melodic content if your solo, you kept it within one certain range of notes, and although I liked the call and responses I could hear in your solo, I think it was a bit to repetative because if the narrow note range. I would advise inserting some simple runs and possibly having more bends or vibrato accented notes in your solo. One good trick to do is to play everything 12 frets higher. This will sound the same as it is one octave higher, but it will get a completely different feel cause the notes are different. Same note range or note choice could be used of course. The cleanness of your playing is good and on a decent level, i would suggest increasing note sustain a bit, and tightening up your tone in general. In overall, good solo, balanced playing, and interesting call&response melodic structure.
The sound itself is pretty cool it sounds like you stepped on a wah and played, which is note a bad thing. There were lots of mids so the guitar was cutting through the mix no problem.
Thanks for this take, very nice, and hope to see you on the next collab as well. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:54 PM