Audacity/reaper
Outlaw2112
Aug 2 2008, 01:54 PM
GMC:er
Why is everyone against audacity for recording? I have both audacity and reaper and personally think audacity is alot easier to record with than reaper... Reaper looks too confusing to me..
I just wanted to know whats the difference between audacity and reaper for recording?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siggum
Aug 2 2008, 02:08 PM
I havent tried either of them, but as long as the software does everything you want it too, it doesnt matter what the name is, i use Acid Pro for all my recordings, and its easy to use for me... so basically go for whatever suits you smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Matt23
Aug 2 2008, 02:09 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think maybe reaper has more features but because of this it is harder to use, but has more potential.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Aug 2 2008, 02:45 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Im not against Audacity- i just got to know Reaper a little bit and turns out its really easy to use and great for making my recordings and also backing tracks i want to make with all my vsti plugins.

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: Aug 2 2008, 02:46 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 2 2008, 04:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've tried to use Audacity and it didn't run well on my computer if I remember right, for some reason it consumed most of the CPU and became very very slow. Reaper ran smoother.
And if I remember well Audacity didn't work with MIDI which was and still is a requirement for me. I could be wrong.

Another reason I went for Reaper is that it resembles Sony Acid Pro which I'm familiar with.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 2 2008, 05:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
I used Audacity for quite some time. Just found out they now incorporated for VST plugins to work. Anyways... have had some problems with volume in the program, so I decided to go all out and use only Cubase for recordings.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 3 2008, 11:07 AM
Singing Instructor
I think that fo0r every music software needs some time for adjustments.But the more complicated they come the more options you haw,I took me 15 days to step up with Nuendo 3,and I am steel learning.That is where video tutorials are great.So work with the software that suits you most and try to make a the best from him that you can.It dose not matter if it is Audacity or Reaper or any other DAW.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Siggum
Aug 3 2008, 11:08 AM
QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Aug 3 2008, 12:07 PM) *
I think that fo0r every music software needs some time for adjustments.But the more complicated they come the more options you haw,I took me 15 days to step up with Nuendo 3,and I am steel learning.That is where video tutorials are great.So work with the software that suits you most and try to make a the best from him that you can.It dose not matter if it is Audacity or Reaper or any other DAW.

Exactly biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 12:48 PM
Instructor
It's basically down to what people are used to use. Also price have a big impact as well. Often companies have agreements on putting lite versions of programs bundled with hardware from the same brand, or other company. The right software is the one that one knows the best, and gives the best results. Someone maybe liking cubase, someone, audacity, someone nuendo, someone acid pro, but in basic it is the quality of the sound that comes out of it, and time you put into it that counts.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jdriver
Aug 8 2008, 07:14 AM
There is a HUGE difference in the way Reaper works compared to Audacity and other simple editors.

Reaper is totally non destructive. It works on Edit Decision Lists, just like a video editor such as Final Cut. Nothing is written to any audio file until you render the project.

Using Reaper (and others like it), is totally liberating. If you make an edit you don't like, you can just drag the edges, slide the selection, with automatic cross fades, etc.

It takes a little getting used to, but you can quickly be up and running doing the same things you do with Audacity. It's worth the investment of your time.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 14 2008, 04:33 AM
Reaper looks cool, but its soo fu*#ing confusing... I wish there were some nice tutorials to watch on this... Ive seen the basic one by deep roots, but i want to know all about this program without spending multiple hours that i could be playing guitar trying to learn this stuff..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 19 2008, 08:56 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm actually pro Audacity within the context that it is meant for.

Audacity and Reaper are not the same type of program. Reaper is a sequencer that provides a software mixing and recording environment and that also supports both virtual effects and instruments. Audacity on the other hand is designed to edit pre-recorded audio files and render, whilst it can record, recording/mixing is not its forte. Conversely there are some editing functions that are far quicker and easier to do in Audacity then in Reaper.

Also, as has been said, Audacity is a pretty easy program to get to know and is also pretty easy to get to run on even an old and dated pc with few compatability issues. We use it to train inexperienced people on Radio Broadcast who often turn up with their own, less then state of the art, laptops and need a program that will run and be essentially bullet proof. (Yes you can have some issues but they are few and far between in my experience.)

So, at least to me, it's a case of apples and oranges.

Also, I think it's worth remembering that Audacity is an open commons piece of Shareware - totally free but the development is supported by Shareware donations. It's often compared unfavourably to Wavelab and Audition, etc., but people here tend to forget that all the latter are relatively expensive commercial packages.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:00 AM