Best Venue And Worst Venue ?
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 11:51 AM
Instructor
What's the best venue you've ever seen a live concert at ?

What's the worst ?
And why ?

For me..

Best : The original Carling Academy in Birmingham where I saw Megadeth in 2004 (or was it 2005 ?) because it was so easy. You just walk in right off the street and down some stairs and then the you're in the room. It was also below street level, underneath a flyover.

Also the best was the O2 Academy in Bournemouth where I saw Saxon.. just walk in off the street into a really nice, old looking room. Used to be an Opera House.

Worst : Earl's Court, London . Nothing actually 'wrong' with it but I was dissapointed with the acoustics and it didn't have much of an atmosphere, even though I was there to see Iron Maiden in 2000, their first UK show since Dickinson's return.

P.S. Try and keep it limited to larger venues, rather than obscure clubs because lots of us would pick smaller, intimate club gigs anyway but I'm interested in what people think of the established, well known venues. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Feb 24 2012, 11:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 24 2012, 12:29 PM
GMC:er
Best: House of Blues - Cleveland, Ohio. (Pretty popular over here in the US, they have a couple all in major cities. Feels like high end theater.) I believe they have the best sound, no matter the concert I've never heard or seen a bad one there. I've seen Gwar, KSE, Dethklok and so much more there, I've even enjoyed just the local bands they book to open up.

Worst: Almost every concert that I've seen outside. I've seen quite a few bands a handful of places, but they all seem to have been crap, the bands did a great job but the atmosphere is horrible. Nickelback was by far the worst... All we had was older drunks getting high with their kids around us. We actually left after a few songs in.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 12:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Feb 24 2012, 11:29 AM) *
Best: House of Blues - Cleveland, Ohio. (Pretty popular over here in the US, they have a couple all in major cities. Feels like high end theater.) I believe they have the best sound, no matter the concert I've never heard or seen a bad one there. I've seen Gwar, KSE, Dethklok and so much more there, I've even enjoyed just the local bands they book to open up.

Worst: Almost every concert that I've seen outside. I've seen quite a few bands a handful of places, but they all seem to have been crap, the bands did a great job but the atmosphere is horrible. Nickelback was by far the worst... All we had was older drunks getting high with their kids around us. We actually left after a few songs in.

Yeh I've heard of the House of Blues, didn't realise it was a chain though. I guess it's a bit like all the 02 venues over here. I was a little dissapointed that a lot of venues lost their orignal identity because of it but they seem to be intent on making an easy, consistent concert experience which I have no problem with. smile.gif

Outdoor gigs... I've only been to 1 big outdoor concert which was Ozzfest at Donington, UK. No trouble but it rained like hell and every time an ariplane flew overhead it drowned out the music.. I wasn't expecting that at all ! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 24 2012, 02:23 PM
Best = Hammersmith Odeon. Hands down my favourite venue in this country bar none!!!
Worst = Docklands Arena. awful acoustics and just too big!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 02:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 24 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Best = Hammersmith Odeon. Hands down my favourite venue in this country bar none!!!
Worst = Docklands Arena. awful acoustics and just too big!!

Oh yeah, I forgot that I've been to the Hammy Odeon to see Yngwie. I wish they kept the name too instead of the Apollo..

I found it a strange venue.. I had no idea it would be sloping down like that (but then I guess it was an old cinema) and the sound wasn't that great either.. but we were quite far back. We decided to ignore the staff at one point and we just walked right up to the front but then got told to get back in our seats tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 24 2012, 02:52 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hmm...I can honestly say that when it comes to larger, well-known venues, I haven't seen a bad one yet. The Halle Muensterland in my hometown Muenster is a really nice venue for up to 11.000 people (depending on what part of the building is taken) and has a good sound an atmosphere. The same is true for the Westfalenhalle in Dortmund and the Arena in Oberhausen. The Arena in Cologne is also great, as is the Schleyerhalle in Stuttgart.
I also happen to love open air gigs, but these are mostly on festivals, so there is a certain atmosphere.
Only open air venue that was disappointing a couple of times was the Domplatz in Muenster, since it is just not made for concerts. And the bands that played there were mostly pretty lame.
I can honestly say I have never been disappointed by a venue or a show when I paid money for it...okay, Blink 182 weren't that great live, but their opening act was so awesome so I was happy to have discovered a new band laugh.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 02:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 24 2012, 01:52 PM) *
I can honestly say I have never been disappointed by a venue or a show when I paid money for it...okay, Blink 182 weren't that great live, but their opening act was so awesome so I was happy to have discovered a new band laugh.gif

That's quite a surprise.. I imagined that they would be good, being a high energy pop punk act. What do you think was disappointing about them ?

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 24 2012, 03:20 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Well, first of all they couldn't keep the tempo. It seems to be quite usual for punk bands to play faster live, but all musicians should have the same tempo laugh.gif
The singing wasn't that good as well, and what was worst is that they only played for an hour. That was really lame.
I am gonna see them again this summer at the Southside Festival, I wonder if they have become better.
I have to exclude Travis Barker from this, his playing was awesome and he blew everyone away with a great drum solo.

Come to think of it, I have seen most (or all) of the big punk / pop punk bands and really have to say except Blink 182 they are all very good live performers. Green Day have become more of a glamrock band, but they delivered the best show and played for 3 hours. The Offspring sounded amazing live, Sum 41 delivered a high energy show and sounded great, NoFX sounded great and were funny as hell. Bad Religion, Yellowcard, Zebrahead, Millencolin...all these bands were extremely good live. Gonna see Rise Against next week. The only punk band that is missing in my "live collection" is Anti-Flag so far (if we only count the bands I really love). Of all these, Blink 182 were by far the worst live.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 29 2012, 07:27 PM
Instructor
Not sure if it mean anything to post venues in Serbia, but in general all I can say that best venues are medium sized ones with good acoustic treatment, while large sport halls/arenas are probably the worst, as there is lots of echo. Some bands music is compatible with it tho.

If I start telling you about all the clubs across the country where we've been, now there were some pretty bad venues from time to time laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
dark dude
Feb 29 2012, 07:31 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Feb 24 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Well, first of all they couldn't keep the tempo. It seems to be quite usual for punk bands to play faster live, but all musicians should have the same tempo laugh.gif
The singing wasn't that good as well, and what was worst is that they only played for an hour. That was really lame.
I am gonna see them again this summer at the Southside Festival, I wonder if they have become better.
I have to exclude Travis Barker from this, his playing was awesome and he blew everyone away with a great drum solo.

Hah, I saw Blink a few times back in the day and thought the same! And yes, Travis was awesome.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:45 AM