Fusing Styles
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 24 2010, 12:36 PM
GMC Founder
With yet another installment of Mate's awesome chicken picking series I though we would address another topic related to chicken picking.

Just because something is classified as one style doesn't mean it can't be incorporated into another. If it feels right and sounds good, then it fits. "Fusing" styles has always been very important in the development of musical genres.

Tell us some of you favorite "styles fusing" to listen to and to play!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 24 2010, 03:33 PM
GMC:er
i love Guthrie Govan style..just blow my mind i can't even express in words what i feel about its style (waves is just orgasmic tongue.gif )
unfortunately ...i am still a noob on guitar T_T can't play any fusion YET!! but i am looking forward to do it biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 24 2010, 05:13 PM
GMC Founder
One of my favorite "fusions" is when exotic playing meets metal - the kind of style Marty Friedman plays!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 24 2010, 05:39 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Rap and metal..... Bahahaha tongue.gif

Seriously though, one of my favorite combinations is Southern Rock and Metal, a la Metallica's load and Reload.

A new fusion I'm really digging is the mixing of rockabilly and metal, specifically when done by Volbeat. I've heard many bands try to do it before, but Volbeat does it the best in my opinion biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 24 2010, 06:06 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Nov 24 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Rap and metal..... Bahahaha tongue.gif

Seriously though, one of my favorite combinations is Southern Rock and Metal, a la Metallica's load and Reload.

A new fusion I'm really digging is the mixing of rockabilly and metal, specifically when done by Volbeat. I've heard many bands try to do it before, but Volbeat does it the best in my opinion biggrin.gif

check horror rockabilly wink.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 24 2010, 06:11 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 24 2010, 07:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 24 2010, 12:06 PM) *
check horror rockabilly wink.gif

Thanks for sharing biggrin.gif the second one had a picture of Aria Giovanni, one of my top ten models wub.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 25 2010, 12:14 AM
Instructor
I attended a masterclass by Bill Bruford (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Allan holdsworth) and he said something interesting. When they started they were trying to play different type of rock, and experiment with it. It was the press/people who started calling it fusion afterwards smile.gif

I like Sepultura mixing Brazilian percussion in their brutal metal, also Angra doing that with prog/heavy metal biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2010, 10:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Nov 25 2010, 12:14 AM) *
I attended a masterclass by Bill Bruford (Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Allan holdsworth) and he said something interesting. When they started they were trying to play different type of rock, and experiment with it. It was the press/people who started calling it fusion afterwards smile.gif

Bill Bruford's playing was awesome.. check out the King Crimson album 'Red' !

I guess I don't really listen to a lot of cross-genre stuff.. does gothic metal count ? Or Industrial Metal like Rammstein which fuses metal with dance/electronica ???

I agree with Kris about Marty of course... I think it's boring if guitarists are too 'traditional' especially in Metal... it doesn't all have to be speed picking and arpeggios. He was definitely in a league of his own when he was in the Metal world. I think one of the other most notable players to come from the thrash world was Alex Skolnick.. great sense of melody that separates him from most of the Metal shredders. Gary Holt from Exodus seems to be damn good too, from what I've heard on their Tempo Of The Damned album. Oops, I've gone off topic now, haven't I ?!? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 27 2010, 06:09 PM
Instructor
I like when someone fuses rock, hard rock, jazz, blues, and local ethnic elements into their style. The style of Guthrie is awesome, he sure has the potential of fusing all kinds of things together. Muris also managed to do this, and I also want to point out Vlatko Stefanovski, Macedonian guitar player. It's important to know where your roots are and use those elements as important part of your style.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:20 PM