A Note About The Rec Zone For All Students
Phil66
May 22 2016, 08:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I feel that many students, myself included, wait until we think a piece is ready for submission to the REC zone and will get a pass. I was reading through Vpavlov's mentoring thread with Gab recently as I find other peoples mentoring threads can be very inspiring. Gab said something to Vpavlov that I think we should all take note of. He said "Takes are always ready for REC because the idea of that program is to receive feedback from many instructors by once."

The only real rule is that you can play it all the way through at full speed. Even if you have some licks or runs that you fumble with, you should still post as other instructors may come up with something that your own mentor hasn't and it just may suit you more than anything else for a fix.

Don't think it is a waist of time submitting a take to REC if you don't think it is going to pass, it is there to help you pass by letting more instructors help you with your problems.

Full guidelines HERE

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 23 2016, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Exactly. That's the way things are. Of course all of us would like to pass...that's natural, but the main purpose of rec is a student requesting for feedback. Because of the video and audio together, we can detec some potential reasons of things not happening the way the should. This way we can get even closer with students, just like with real life lessons smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 23 2016, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
Well said smile.gif The whole point of GMC is to help you on your journey as a musician and to get better at playing in general. To that purpose, putting yourself out there, even when you don't think your quite ready, is a good idea. The feedback you get will be helpful for your playing well beyond a given rec take smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 23 2016, 01:21 PM) *
Exactly. That's the way things are. Of course all of us would like to pass...that's natural, but the main purpose of rec is a student requesting for feedback. Because of the video and audio together, we can detec some potential reasons of things not happening the way the should. This way we can get even closer with students, just like with real life lessons smile.gif

+Quote Post
Blister
May 31 2016, 04:05 AM
Excellent topic! smile.gif

I agree that the REC program is an excellent teaching tool. I always felt that a REC should not be submitted until it was the best we could do but this post has opened my eyes rolleyes.gif . I'm unable to go to a private instructor so the way I guess we should look at REC is when we have a private instructor, we go every week whether we are ready or not. It's not like the instructor gave us a lesson to practice & then we don't go back to the instructor until we feel it is perfect. We would go back to the private instructor & play the lesson for him/her to show our progress. By using REC, we are not only getting feedback, helpful tips & instruction from just one instructor but at least three instructors. That's a triple win that you won't get from private lessons.

I suppose that we could also look at it that if we only submit perfect takes, the instructors can't give us tips & ideas that may help save us time on future takes.

I understand that we all strive for perfection but we sometimes learn more when we make mistakes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 31 2016, 02:27 PM
Instructor
Great thread Phil. I think that you can imagine that I totally agree with you. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Lester
May 31 2016, 03:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Spot on!

I do have a lot of lessons lying around that I feel are not quite there yet smile.gif

I might submit a few now! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Alex5
May 31 2016, 10:20 PM
Great point of view.
I spent one hour this afternoon and one hour this evening to have the perfect take of a lesson. Finally I've saved nothing because of few issues on each one..

+Quote Post
vpavlov
Jun 1 2016, 02:50 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Phil66 @ May 22 2016, 07:33 PM) *
Hello folks,

I feel that many students, myself included, wait until we think a piece is ready for submission to the REC zone and will get a pass. I was reading through Vpavlov's mentoring thread with Gab recently as I find other peoples mentoring threads can be very inspiring. Gab said something to Vpavlov that I think we should all take note of. He said "Takes are always ready for REC because the idea of that program is to receive feedback from many instructors by once."

The only real rule is that you can play it all the way through at full speed. Even if you have some licks or runs that you fumble with, you should still post as other instructors may come up with something that your own mentor hasn't and it just may suit you more than anything else for a fix.

Don't think it is a waist of time submitting a take to REC if you don't think it is going to pass, it is there to help you pass by letting more instructors help you with your problems.

Full guidelines HERE

Phil

And since it was my thread that started this one, here's my point of view: Of course, one should put up as many REC takes as possible and when one feels the need to, I totally agree. However, since this particular lesson was on my list of lessons that I have agreed upon with my mentor Gab, I felt that I had to run it by him first, instead of going directly to REC, I thought it was a more respectful thing to do.

I'm not sure what's the right thing to do in situations like this -- when you're studying for a lesson that your mentor assigned to you, should you go directly to REC wherever you feel like it, or you should run the lesson by him first?

--------------------
Ibanez RG1550 --> BIAS FX on iPad --> Ardour on avLinux

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 1 2016, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (vpavlov @ Jun 1 2016, 02:50 PM) *
And since it was my thread that started this one, here's my point of view: Of course, one should put up as many REC takes as possible and when one feels the need to, I totally agree. However, since this particular lesson was on my list of lessons that I have agreed upon with my mentor Gab, I felt that I had to run it by him first, instead of going directly to REC, I thought it was a more respectful thing to do.

I'm not sure what's the right thing to do in situations like this -- when you're studying for a lesson that your mentor assigned to you, should you go directly to REC wherever you feel like it, or you should run the lesson by him first?

I'm the same mate, I always feel I should ok it with Gab first. I was very brave once and posted one on REC because Gab was on tour. All he said was "Great to see you post here Phil" but I know exactly what you are saying, it does seem a little disrespectful when the lesson has been assigned by our Mentor, almost like going behind their back but I honestly don't think they feel that way about it. I think they are happy to see you be brave enough to post to REC, it does take some bottle to do it wink.gif

Cheers

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 1 2016, 08:17 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 1 2016, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Nice words guys. I'm just here to add that I would never feel bad if you share a take directly at REC, on the other hand I have a positive feel about it because we have the support of other instructors that help with their comments. We (the instructors) have similar criteria since we base our comments and analysis on what's and how it's taught on the lessons so I've never seen contradictory feedback at REC.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 10 2016, 12:42 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Excellent thread smile.gif smile.gif

REC is a LEARNING tool, so just use it to get better! Get professional feedback. Learn from your mistakes, keep posting your takes, get better and have FUN cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 10 2016, 03:43 PM
GMC Founder
Great thread - the more REC takes you post the more you fuel your own and other people's learning progress. It can only be a good thing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 14 2016, 09:18 PM
Yeah, it has to be considered that it isn't an examination as such, more of an assessment of how you are doing so far with the lesson. Just don't post half a take. Get it all under your fingers as much as possible, so long as you can play it at full speed that's fine, even if you have errors you can't correct. In fact that's a good time to post a REC take, when you have something like a few bars in the middle that you can't get right but everything else is close, that's where you will get guidance. wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:20 PM