3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Orange Amps Rock!, Rockerverb 50 head demo
Darius Wave
May 8 2014, 06:06 PM
Instructor
Very cool to know this smile.gif Thanx Ken! Anyway I think it's too individual to buy a ready product. I prefer to adjust the foam thickness to the tone I set up for live playing. Watching this one I have a feeling it could be too thick

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 8 2014, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
Yeah, I would never 'buy' that.
Foam or cardboard and tape work perfectly ... and have worked since amplifiers were invented. This is an ancient trick/technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2014, 09:25 PM
Very cool way to describe tone! And you guys are spot on about the FIZZ in tiny/dual terror IMHO. I tried them and with any real gain load they sorta turn in to a FIZZBALL with MUD. The JIM ROOT has the preamp section from one of the other ORANGE amps that Jim uses live (allegedly anyway, don't know enough about orange preamp sections to confirm).

I visited the Orange Showroom here in Atlanta and the only one of the small ones I really liked was the JIM ROOT, so I grabbed it smile.gif

Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 8 2014, 04:11 AM) *
I think this is one of the nicest ways to describe guitar tone smile.gif kudos man - you really nailed it in human language! I always found ways to describe pretty much everything music related in such a way that people should understand it without running scared of decibels and parameters and all that jive, but you opened my eyes to a nice and comprehensive way in which I can talk about tone! Thank you!

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 8 2014, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 8 2014, 02:03 PM) *
2. SM57 mod - I found some german doing simple, passive circuit (a few coils, caps and pot) to flatten then natural 4-6 kHz boost of SM57. This could make me able to move the mic closer to the cap and again....get better translation between what I hear from the speaker and what the audience hear

But. . . at the end of the day, you still have a SM57. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif I see a lot of adds and chatted with a lot of people who talk about modding 57s. Which, to me seems odd to buy a cheap mic, spend a chunk of money to mod it to make it a more decent mic. When for the same amount of money, I'm sure you could just buy a better mic.

I'm from Gwinnett Co. in Georgia. What shop is that?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 8 2014, 08:25 PM) *
Very cool way to describe tone! And you guys are spot on about the FIZZ in tiny/dual terror IMHO. I tried them and with any real gain load they sorta turn in to a FIZZBALL with MUD. The JIM ROOT has the preamp section from one of the other ORANGE amps that Jim uses live (allegedly anyway, don't know enough about orange preamp sections to confirm).

I visited the Orange Showroom here in Atlanta and the only one of the small ones I really liked was the JIM ROOT, so I grabbed it smile.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2014, 02:30 AM
It's the main ORANGE AMPS office in Atlanta. It's not really a shop. It's the distribution center for the entire region. I connected with the guy who runs it in order to do an amp demo for them. Great guy and great place smile.gif Every current ORANGE in one room.

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 8 2014, 06:27 PM) *
But. . . at the end of the day, you still have a SM57. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif I see a lot of adds and chatted with a lot of people who talk about modding 57s. Which, to me seems odd to buy a cheap mic, spend a chunk of money to mod it to make it a more decent mic. When for the same amount of money, I'm sure you could just buy a better mic.

I'm from Gwinnett Co. in Georgia. What shop is that?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 9 2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Actually those mods are veeery low cost. I found most people take of the transformer but it adds more presence which is not what I'm looking for. Second mod cut's the natural boost of that mic so this is way closer to what I need. Yep - I will always have sm57 because it's a reference for others. I make a lot of demos. You'll find most of amps demos I made using ATM650. I still like it better smile.gif But...to avoid questions like "nice demo man but how it sounds with sm57?" I keep one wink.gif

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 9 2014, 11:34 PM
Yea that ATM650 sounds rad, I'm glad you got me hip to it.

If you really get people whining about you not using a 57, just tell them to get a life. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 9 2014, 07:54 AM) *
Actually those mods are veeery low cost. I found most people take of the transformer but it adds more presence which is not what I'm looking for. Second mod cut's the natural boost of that mic so this is way closer to what I need. Yep - I will always have sm57 because it's a reference for others. I make a lot of demos. You'll find most of amps demos I made using ATM650. I still like it better smile.gif But...to avoid questions like "nice demo man but how it sounds with sm57?" I keep one wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 9 2014, 11:57 PM
This is a GREAT point by DARIUS here. No matter what you record with, people wont believe the the results until they hear it with a 57 on it. It's just such a ubiquitous mic that it's almost as if "If you didn't record it with an SM57, it didn't happen".

So it's worth keeping at least one around. smile.gif I've been using a Beta 58 which is a beta 57 with a ball grill essentially and I take off the ball grill for recording guitar cabs. It doesn't impact that sound as much as I thought it would taking the outer cap off though. Just a pinch brighter without it. I have a standard SM58 which is a SM57 with the ball grill but I like the beta a bit better for it's presence peak.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 9 2014, 03:54 AM) *

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 10 2014, 03:49 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 9 2014, 10:57 PM) *
This is a GREAT point by DARIUS here. No matter what you record with, people wont believe the the results until they hear it with a 57 on it. It's just such a ubiquitous mic that it's almost as if "If you didn't record it with an SM57, it didn't happen".

Not to be mean, but this is a completely bogus statement.

You're telling me, that if I present something recorded with a $2k mic and a $1k preamp, someone is going to say "If you didn't record it with an SM57, it didn't happen" !?!?!?

People have too much time on their hands if they are going to watch a demo vid and get caught up on the details of how it was recorded. If it wasn't recorded with a SM57, you're not going to go to the store and check it out? If a piece of gear pops up for cheap on craigslist, you're not going to buy it because the demo you saw wasn't recorded with a SM57?

SM57 is popular because it's cheap, durable and it works. Not because it's the best mic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 10 2014, 09:57 AM
Instructor
I tell You how I see this smile.gif

I know how my amp sounds on SM57 (including different position). I can sort of calculate the difference while listening to other demo.
I think many people see things this way. I have thic mic so I could get that sound too. Unfortunately most forget about the tone from the hands and guitar but that;s a different story.

I'm not gonna be "sm57 all the time guy" but currently just have a period of comparisons on different amps smile.gif I think next mic would be audix I5 because if it's very scooped response. I'm not saying it's something good but I wanna have different sounding mics and I think e606 i too close to sm57. If anyone have one of those personally I would not advice to buy the other smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2014, 01:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 10 2014, 08:57 AM) *

I know how my amp sounds on SM57 (including different position). I can sort of calculate the difference while listening to other demo.
I think many people see things this way. I have thic mic so I could get that sound too. Unfortunately most forget about the tone from the hands and guitar but that;s a different story.

I'm not gonna be "sm57 all the time guy" but currently just have a period of comparisons on different amps smile.gif I think next mic would be audix I5 because if it's very scooped response. I'm not saying it's something good but I wanna have different sounding mics and I think e606 i too close to sm57. If anyone have one of those personally I would not advice to buy the other smile.gif

Hehe! Our sound engineer was talking to us about that audix mic and he praised it smile.gif Guess you guys know your stuff well! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 10 2014, 07:38 PM
I'm with ya!! smile.gif I'd hate to be saddled to the 57/58. I only use it for vids where I know I'm gonna get asked "what does it sound like with a 57?"

I far prefer the RAVEN mic which they don't even make anymore. Sounds like a 57 paired with a AKG421 in one mic. HUGE element piece. Designed by BLUE.

If I add a second mic it's my MXL990 which pairs amazingly well. But that's just for recording audio, not demo vids cause folks have no idea what the raven is so it's almost pointless to record youtube vids with it smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ May 10 2014, 04:57 AM) *

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 11 2014, 04:18 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 10 2014, 06:38 PM) *
I far prefer the RAVEN mic which they don't even make anymore. Sounds like a 57 paired with a AKG421 in one mic. HUGE element piece. Designed by BLUE.

hmm. . . never played with a RAVEN before. What is it that you like so much about it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 13 2014, 02:29 AM
Love the way it sounds smile.gif It's got wads of body and character. Also has a high presence peak so it grabs the pick strikes quite nicely. It's the one Mic I've kept over the years other than the MXL990. The rest sorta come and go.

It was designed by the folks @ BLUE Microphones which made sense to me as I usually don't like EV mice and do like blue mics smile.gif

Here is a link and data sheet. They are still available on ebay and such and are still cheap!
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=88

Attached Image

QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 10 2014, 11:18 PM) *
hmm. . . never played with a RAVEN before. What is it that you like so much about it?

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 13 2014, 07:12 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
great demo! this amp sound great,but your playing has a lot to do with it to, amp sound so responsive to you picking, especially when you rolled back you guitar volume you could just hear every note so clean, very impressive amp, if i ever need a hight wat amp im definatley gonna look at orange. mesa and orange, have been my favorites, but man are the high end orage amp expensive, but sounds like its worth every dollar, and would be good with every genre of music. lots of bands i listen to use orange amps and i like the hard heavy sound they get

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 13 2014, 12:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 13 2014, 07:12 AM) *
great demo! this amp sound great,but your playing has a lot to do with it to, amp sound so responsive to you picking, especially when you rolled back you guitar volume you could just hear every note so clean, very impressive amp, if i ever need a hight wat amp im definatley gonna look at orange. mesa and orange, have been my favorites, but man are the high end orage amp expensive, but sounds like its worth every dollar, and would be good with every genre of music. lots of bands i listen to use orange amps and i like the hard heavy sound they get

Thank You Dave! Funny thing is that being honest I'm lately more interested in small amps like You do smile.gif RH30 is an amp of my choice because

1. 30 Watt is enough and easy to cross the "breaking point" at useable volumes
2. It's light weight - one of "less power amps" profit which doesn't comes with AD30 for example
3. Simple - a few knob,all working in the range I prefer
4. Very descent fx loop
5. 2 power amp valves to change instead of 4 (makes different when You want to buy descent tubes - half of the price)

Small amps area easy to take them home or for the soundcheck.

A lot of profits. I will always have a sentiment for big monsters but I appreciate what producers offer us in the small power rating range these days smile.gif

Can't wait to get my hands on Tubemeister. Somehow I was not able yet smile.gif

Tod - So You say You just added another interesting mic to my "to try" list ?biggrin.gif Never had anything to do with any Raven product. Will hopefully try someday smile.gif

Cosmin - Audix is very countoured. It sort of does the job for eq'ing type we usually do for rhythm guitars in rock/metal music. It can alos nicely reproduce neck single coil strat tone without too much high mids.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:49 AM