32 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Dec 7 2018, 02:05 AM
Learning Roadie
Now, I know I'll be repeating this but I still uploaded it because of few reasons. I didn't say I'd do it for sure but in my mind it was decided. It's the middle of the night here and that's why I'm playing unplugged. Neighbours would be furious.
Secondly, somethhing quite bad happened today and I was all nervous when I was recording earlier. In that state I kept making really silly mistakes and got even more upset. I know I wouldn't be able to fall asleep like that. It was a battle for my honour, so it doesn't matter if I fail the lesson. This small victory over my own limits was somehow satisfying and it feels lighter now.

It's all muted tightly and tempo = 100 in triplets:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2018, 06:26 AM
GMC:er
If there is a vid with the Mission, always try to watch that before you dig in to the Tablature.It will show you what I'm looking for in the Mission and the tab will usually make more sense smile.gif

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 6 2018, 01:01 PM) *
Next mission might appear tonight. At first it was a pain to memorize. Then I tried grouping the notes by 4 and it was better. Then I played your video and when I heard you play it, I got the pattern at once!

Well fought Soldier!! It's always good to go ahead and give a Mission a whirl!!! I can't really hear it but I can see your hands and it looks good. I think you have a god handle on this. Good effort and clean playing never gets a Fail!! This is solid work here. When you get a chance, just make a "Mission Version" where you are plugged in to whatever you normally use so that I can hear as well as see. It's important to hear it with your normal tone so that any string noise, etc can be heard in order to properly critique it. You can record the vid when you go to record your next Mission if you like.

Keep it up!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 6 2018, 09:05 PM) *
Now, I know I'll be repeating this but I still uploaded it because of few reasons. I didn't say I'd do it for sure but in my mind it was decided. It's the middle of the night here and that's why I'm playing unplugged. Neighbours would be furious.
Secondly, somethhing quite bad happened today and I was all nervous when I was recording earlier. In that state I kept making really silly mistakes and got even more upset. I know I wouldn't be able to fall asleep like that. It was a battle for my honour, so it doesn't matter if I fail the lesson. This small victory over my own limits was somehow satisfying and it feels lighter now.

It's all muted tightly and tempo = 100 in triplets:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 7 2018, 11:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 7 2018, 05:26 AM) *
If there is a vid with the Mission, always try to watch that before you dig in to the Tablature.It will show you what I'm looking for in the Mission and the tab will usually make more sense smile.gif

Sarge

Well fought Soldier!! It's always good to go ahead and give a Mission a whirl!!! I can't really hear it but I can see your hands and it looks good. I think you have a god handle on this. Good effort and clean playing never gets a Fail!! This is solid work here. When you get a chance, just make a "Mission Version" where you are plugged in to whatever you normally use so that I can hear as well as see. It's important to hear it with your normal tone so that any string noise, etc can be heard in order to properly critique it. You can record the vid when you go to record your next Mission if you like.

Keep it up!!
Sarge

Sometimes you get the tabs with no demo included. While you're right saying it makes much more sense, I want to try it by myself and see if I get it right smile.gif

I'm much more calm today and some of the issues from yesterday may solve themselves today. I'll get to recording in a second.
Did you miss my mission 10 video? Maybe it drowned in my spam or it's because we moved to page 2 now. Seems I'll have no problem passing at least number 11, so I'll get straight to 12 afterwards!

-Adam

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 7 2018, 12:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2018, 11:48 PM
Per your question about quick licks, jump in!!! Feel free to make 2 versions of the quick licks vids so that you can have a video of pushing the envelope as well as your take for critique. I'll be able to tell which is which. So it's completely fine. You can do a fast take on Bootcamp as well, as long as you have one take that's played under control. That way you can have a video trail of progress both of pushing the edge and of where you are in terms of playing a given bit with precision. In short, go for it!!

Let's look at Mission 10. This is a bit of a BEAR. It's a serious finger twister. It's tempting to try to play this briskly. It's what I call a "speed trap". Your fingers want to try to shred it, but the complexity of the lick makes it feel like swimming up stream. Don't feel bad about this, this lick is very very complex and is mostly about having control over your fingers and picking rather than playing it fast. As for the speed, your playing this plenty fast. There are some licks in bootcamp that are built to shred. This just isn't one of them. Let's Debrief!!!..
MEDALS OF HONOR

*SYNCH OR SWIM: Hand synch is CRUCIAL on this lick. If you slip just once, it sticks out like a sore thumb as I'm sure you found out. So it's critical that each pick strike matches up with a fretted note. You have to stick the landing each and every time, which you do!!
*MUTE OR DIE: Due to the massive amount of string/fret traverse, you gotta keep a good palm mute on this guy or string noise will just wreck it. Your mute is spot on.
*AGGRESSIVE STYLE: This is a hard lick to play. You jumped right in and pushed the envelope and still kept it under control. Nice!!! In short you just....
Attached Image
LEVELED UP!!!!
You are on a roaring roll Soldier!! Keep it up!!

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 5 2018, 12:50 PM) *
Blood, sweat and tears. Well, not exactly but close. After about 2 hours of recording session I did a clean run. At first, I felt my endurance being put to test. Left hand was uncomfortable until I got used to it, much later. I probably should take a break or two and cool down a bit but I had quite a nice streak there. THough, later I started feeling frustrated a bit and started making silly mistakes. The worst were those when my finger slipped at the last two notes, literally.

Nobody said it would be a milk run but that's how it works. Here's mission 10:

PS.
I tried playing a few parts of Stream of Consciousness and there's this main riff where the fingers cover 2 notes across half the fretboard. After a warm-up and a moment of practice, I got it! It's more extreme stretching than Arpeggios From Hell! I can't play this progression smoothly but I can play the separate chords relatively clean! smile.gif

PS2.
I also browsed Quick Licks section and I decided to give it a try when I have a moment. Is it okay if I do each one twice: once just to play it properly and twice in higher tempo after a few months of progress? I think they are only graded once, so I'm asking if you could make an exception in my case?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 8 2018, 07:20 PM
Well Fought Soldier!!! Yet another one of very important foundational bits Soldier. This finger shape is one you will see quite often as you go forward. Also, you'll see a LOT of this type of string/fret traverse. This is a deceptively simple lick. It's got enough complexity to get your fingers thinking about what note comes next, but it's the same idea repeated so it's not overly complex. Let's Debrief!!...
MEDALS OF HONOR
LOOPY: You may notice that I have you play licks often in a "Loop". This is so that you focus on the lick itself. Also, it allows me to see your playing over a distance of ground. If you rush/lag, it will stand out. Part of what I'm trying to teach you is Playing like a Robot in order to Shred Like a God. Paul Gilbert is a good example of putting loops of a given lick to good use. It's one way to build up steady speed. Of course, you can play one loop fast and then settle back in to a comfy speed for a "burst" approach as well.
NON STOP TRAVERSE: As with a few others, this lick traverses strings and frets non stop. Partially to build endurance, partially to get your hands accustomed to playing long sequences of notes. This will serve you well when we start doing very long scale runs.

ARTICULATION: You are doing a very good job of articulating the pick with your thumb/first finger and avoiding the dreaded "Picking from the Elbow" keep that up!!
You've got this down pat Soldier!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
You are only one Mission away from your next Chevron Badge Soldier!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 7 2018, 06:32 AM) *
Sometimes you get the tabs with no demo included. While you're right saying it makes much more sense, I want to try it by myself and see if I get it right smile.gif

I'm much more calm today and some of the issues from yesterday may solve themselves today. I'll get to recording in a second.
Did you miss my mission 10 video? Maybe it drowned in my spam or it's because we moved to page 2 now. Seems I'll have no problem passing at least number 11, so I'll get straight to 12 afterwards!

-Adam

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 9 2018, 11:12 PM
Learning Roadie
I guess this is the last "easy" mission. Is it why I get the Chevron Badge after clearing it?

I checked number 13 and getting used to the pattern will take a few practice sessions. Nothing I can't do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2018, 05:19 AM
Well Fought!! Very perceptive as well. This is the end of the "Starter" Missions. Youhave gotten your production process going, your accustomed to the process, youare able to adapt to a wide variety of techniques, in short, your ready!!! It's whythe Double Chevron starts at 13. The badge ups are tied to the levels and you badgeup a chevron when you make it to the next range of difficulty. Sort of like being
at a given level of power in a Video Game like Destiny or something similar.
You may be at a given level for a bit until you level out if it. Same here, once youare well versed in a given range of techniques, you level out and head to the next thing.You will get "reminder" drills as you go since these skills are perishable. For now,
let's Debrief!!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
ALT PICK OF DESTINY: Alternate Picking is at the core of this lick. Without good alt picking technique, this lick won't work. It's the kind of thing you just cant play with all downstrokes and have it work well. Nice!!
TRAVERSAL OF FORTUNE: Non stop fret traverse is required on this one. You gotta slide a bit to make this work and you slide quite well!!!
PINKY TIME: Good use of the pinky here! On the lower frets, Pinky Power is crucial.

You are ready for the next chapter Soldier! You are ready to Badge up to 13!!! It's a bit more challenging to be sure. You can nail it!!
You just leveled up...
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 9 2018, 06:12 PM) *
I guess this is the last "easy" mission. Is it why I get the Chevron Badge after clearing it?

I checked number 13 and getting used to the pattern will take a few practice sessions. Nothing I can't do.

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 11 2018, 01:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Just a quick update. I won't be recording anything for a few days. I just got the info 2 of my exams are on next Monday. The lecturer doesn't like me, so I need to pass both with high grades. I also have to turn in a chapter of thesis on Monday, so I'll be busy. I'll try to practice during what little fretime I'll have but to use that time efficiently, I can't focus on recording.

Also, thank you. I will add your father to my prayers too.

-Adam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 12 2018, 01:57 AM
No worries Soldier!! You've earned a break!! Thanks for thinking of my Dad smile.gif He needs all the help we can get.
Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 11 2018, 08:28 AM) *
Just a quick update. I won't be recording anything for a few days. I just got the info 2 of my exams are on next Monday. The lecturer doesn't like me, so I need to pass both with high grades. I also have to turn in a chapter of thesis on Monday, so I'll be busy. I'll try to practice during what little fretime I'll have but to use that time efficiently, I can't focus on recording.

Also, thank you. I will add your father to my prayers too.

-Adam

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 19 2018, 08:08 PM
Learning Roadie
I just played around for a warm-up. I noticed AP-heavy riffs like Iron Maiden are much easier for me to play. All my practice was your drills, so that's what helped me. Thanks! smile.gif

I'll edit this post later when I have a video ready, so I don't spam too much in this thread. Just wanted to let you know I'm starting to notice my progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2018, 03:04 AM
Awesome!!! It's great to hear that your hard work is paying off!!! Keep it up smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 19 2018, 03:08 PM) *
I just played around for a warm-up. I noticed AP-heavy riffs like Iron Maiden are much easier for me to play. All my practice was your drills, so that's what helped me. Thanks! smile.gif

I'll edit this post later when I have a video ready, so I don't spam too much in this thread. Just wanted to let you know I'm starting to notice my progress.

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 23 2018, 11:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm back with another video. Descending run was very easy but there was a tricky part in the ascending one. It's where I moved from G string to B string and had to go up by 1 fret. I got it eventually but I could use much more practice for fluency.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2018, 09:35 AM
Nice!!!!! I could not have asked for better Soldier! You didn't rush it, which is a good thing imho. This lick is all about hitting the right notes in the right order. It's not really a shred lick. When I play this lick in a solo, if I want it to sound fast, I'll usually multi pick it (doubles/quads) since it doesn't lend ifself to shreddery. That B string fret jump is part of what makes this tricky. It's great that you didn't have to struggle on this. It's a complicated bit of finger work and that's why it makes a great drill. It also makes a cool lick for solo work! I often use just a few strings of it as a transition piece in a guitar solo. It's a great way to get from one lick to another. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*TACTICAL PRECISION: Very well done on pick strikes and fretting. Without a high degree of precision, this lick just falls apart.

*STEADY PACE: Didn't rush, didn't lag. Being able to play at a steady pace and not rush the easy bits and then drag the difficult bits is crucial to being a well rounded player. Well done!

*QUIET AS DEATH: On these types of licks that use all the strings, it's very hard to keep it from generating string noise. Not a problem here! Silent as the grave!
Well fought Soldier! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
*Congrats on your first BADGE UP to a new CHEVRON level. This is your first Double Chevron Badge!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 23 2018, 06:37 PM) *
I'm back with another video. Descending run was very easy but there was a tricky part in the ascending one. It's where I moved from G string to B string and had to go up by 1 fret. I got it eventually but I could use much more practice for fluency.

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 29 2018, 12:32 AM
Learning Roadie
I tried getting it done before going to work. There's single, double and triple empty string version in vid 1. I'm not sure what mission 15 is about. I mean there's the tab but no task to complete, so I recorded 3 runs on this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 29 2018, 03:37 AM
Well fought Soldier!!! This is a great lick to work on your single string technique. Keep doing this lick in your practice sessions and you will continue to gain precision and speed. Let's Debrief!!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING-This is all about single string picking technique. Being able to alternate pick on a single string without getting the pick caught, losing track of the strike pattern, etc. You did a great job on picking this one.

*TIMING-Timing is crucial in this lick. If the timing is off at all, it sound very obvious. That's why this lick is structured as it is. The good news is your timing is spot on and you played this very well.

*DIFFERENT STRINGS-Being able to pull this lick off on different string shows that you can traverse to new strings without losing control of your technique. It's great to see!! Well done.
In short, you KILLED IT Soldier!!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 28 2018, 07:32 PM) *
I tried getting it done before going to work. There's single, double and triple empty string version in vid 1. I'm not sure what mission 15 is about. I mean there's the tab but no task to complete, so I recorded 3 runs on this.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 29 2018, 03:38 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2018, 07:07 PM
MISSION 15 DEBRIEF
Well fought Soldier !Thisi lick is about getting you read for the basics of sweep motion combined with scales as a sort of combo/hybrid lick. So we start with a double down stroke semi sweep, then in to a scale pattern. Eventually, you'll be playing full sweeps and transitioning in to full scales back to back. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

*Sweep Shape: This starts with a sweep type shape with two down strokes. This is the
most important part. Being able to play the sweep shape without lagging or rushing is key. Nice!
*Follow Up: Following the sweepish bit, you go right in to a scaleish bit. Getting this
transition to be smooth is the entire point of the drill. It's very smooth so well done!!
*Precision: A high degree of precision is required for this entire thing. If you falter at any point it will stick out like a sore thumb. The good news is you never slipped. Score!!
In short you KRUSHED it and are ready to move on. You just....
LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Here is the updated tab and guitar pro file for 15.
Attached File  15fix.gp5 ( 1.68K ) Number of downloads: 680

Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 1 2020, 12:15 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 2 2019, 01:55 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's my take on next mission. Mentally I'm at the next lesson as I need to prepare to it instead of just playing a vista. I think you said before that from time to time I should revise the past lessons, so I think it's a way to do it plus transposing skills which is always nice to have smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 2 2019, 10:42 PM
Learning Roadie
I made this video today. Matching the patterns to an E minor scale was much more difficult than just moving a pattern up or down. It's the first part, Missions 1 - 6 included. I'll do some more during my next session.

Now I noticed I missed one mission, so I'll do that as well smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Jan 2 2019, 10:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 3 2019, 09:25 PM
Well Fought Soldier!! Yet another Mission that requires a bit of finger twisting. All of these are intended to give you the basic skills needed to compete in the REC lessons and be able to WIN each and every time. Great to see you making such progress!! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*SOLID MUTE: Without a good mute this would sound like a huge mess of noise. Good job keeping it clean. It's a crucial skill.

*SYNCH OR SWIM: Hand synch is getting better and better. Keep up your missions and it will keep getting better!

*ARTICULATION: Well done using the fingers/hand on the picking and NOT using the stiff arm / picking from the Elbow. Avoiding that bad habit is key to progressing. In short you KILLED IT!! Nicely done on your lesson Revision Video as well!! You've got all of these in Memory which is impressive!! Keep up your practice routine!!! If you have not done so, add learning your favorite songs by ear. Without tablature to help develop your ear.
You just.. LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 1 2019, 08:55 PM) *
Here's my take on next mission. Mentally I'm at the next lesson as I need to prepare to it instead of just playing a vista. I think you said before that from time to time I should revise the past lessons, so I think it's a way to do it plus transposing skills which is always nice to have smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Jan 4 2019, 05:55 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm on a pretty good streak, so I'm not stopping now smile.gif I had a little hard time figuring out the pattern because the tab is split into 3 parts here. Your demo is great smile.gif It's both promising and terrifying.

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:05 PM