8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Caelumamittendum's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 15 2009, 01:39 PM
Instructor
Excellent Ben!
This is exactly type of things I was talking about when we talked about MTP. Perfect. Transitions could be smother but I love the fact that you tried out things I taught you and were very creative with them. You are onto something great, I love when I see that in people. Well done. Don't fly to high now with this praise, you will get more assignments to push you further! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2009, 01:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 15 2009, 02:39 PM) *
Excellent Ben!
This is exactly type of things I was talking about when we talked about MTP. Perfect. Transitions could be smother but I love the fact that you tried out things I taught you and were very creative with them. You are onto something great, I love when I see that in people. Well done. Don't fly to high now with this praise, you will get more assignments to push you further! wink.gif

I know the transitions weren't too smooth, which was what my "it's not too succesful" was aimed at. But afterall, I only just changed it in 2 minutes, so I geuss it could've used a bit more work. But I can definately see how it can be applied to change key etc.

One thing that has always bothered me a bit is how to make a key change without making it sound too key-change-ish! I think that's the best word I have now.

One lesson that springs to mind is Muris' lydian beginner, where he changes key from E lydian to Bb lydian/B major to C major. It doesn't sound too off here and I do wonder why. I know the last note in the last E lydian bar is a A#, with an E11+ beneath, I think. Next chord is Bb major.

Could you explain a little about why this is working and if it is possible to make an equally smooth transition to any other key?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 15 2009, 01:53 PM
Instructor
Sure thing Ben!

When changing keys you have to consider couple of important things. You should try to find :

- Common note that belongs to both keys
- Chord that works in both keys
- Prepared modulation (with some sort of cadence, II V I or V to I)
- or simply use Direct/unprepared modulation.

All these methods have their way of working, you just have to do them right. In your case, you had a long note, and a resting point, which made the transition (somewhat) smoother. This is another trick that can work. I will give you some assignments for this, but before that we will cover Modal interchange harmony which will help you to modulate very easy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2009, 01:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 15 2009, 02:53 PM) *
Sure thing Ben!

When changing keys you have to consider couple of important things. You should try to find :

- Common note that belongs to both keys
- Chord that works in both keys
- Prepared modulation (with some sort of cadence, II V I or V to I)
- or simply use Direct/unprepared modulation.

All these methods have their way of working, you just have to do them right. In your case, you had a long note, and a resting point, which made the transition (somewhat) smoother. This is another trick that can work. I will give you some assignments for this, but before that we will cover Modal interchange harmony which will help you to modulate very easy.

Cool. Thanks, Pedja smile.gif

Looking forward to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 15 2009, 02:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 15 2009, 02:59 PM) *
Cool. Thanks, Pedja smile.gif

Looking forward to it.

Great Ben, I am looking forward to it as well. Today I will post backing for Frederik and couple of assignments for other guys, will try to do yours as well. I will be out of town on Thursday (Partizan Belgrade game versus French side Touluse in Belgrade) so I will be back home sometime on Friday. Will do my best to assign you everything today and tomorrow so you can do the work while I am away on Thursday and Friday! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2009, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, sure thing. I won't have much time those two days either though, as I have uni + work those days, so I'll be off pretty much all day both days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 16 2009, 05:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Funny thing, Pedja.

The guy from my class that I've talked about, who studied at LA Guitar Institute and offered me and another guitarist free lessons, he plays a lot of jazz and we talked today, and he was very impressed that I knew what re-harmonization and secondary dominant chords were!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 16 2009, 06:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 16 2009, 06:04 PM) *
Funny thing, Pedja.

The guy from my class that I've talked about, who studied at LA Guitar Institute and offered me and another guitarist free lessons, he plays a lot of jazz and we talked today, and he was very impressed that I knew what re-harmonization and secondary dominant chords were!

That is awesome, I am thrilled to hear that Ben!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 17 2009, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Ben,

Hope your university studying is going well!
I have decided to give you some extra work because you are doing great so far with the work load I am providing you.

Here are your assignments :

- Take one whole tune with AABA song form (verse verse chorus verse) and reharmonize it using techniques you learned so far (secondary dominants, cadences and diatonic substitution). Keep in mind that melody has to be strong in relation with harmony. So I don't want perfect 4th over Major chord (major 3rd clashes with perfect 4th), the same goes for dominant chord.

- Read my theory post on Cycle 4 and Cycle 5. I will give you short test on it in couple of days.

- Do your assignment in Guitar pro and upload it in this thread.

I hope this is enough work load for you Ben. I will be back tomorrow and will respond to all your questions then!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2009, 01:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the assignment, Pedja. I will be a bit busy for the next few days, but I'll try to get it done as soon as possible. The biggest problem will be finding a song with a AABA structure! Hahaha. I don't know a whole lot of "classical" structured songs per se.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2009, 10:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2009, 02:35 PM) *
Thanks for the assignment, Pedja. I will be a bit busy for the next few days, but I'll try to get it done as soon as possible. The biggest problem will be finding a song with a AABA structure! Hahaha. I don't know a whole lot of "classical" structured songs per se.

You welcome Ben!

I can assign a song to you but I would prefer if you picked song that you like as you will have to spend time experimenting with these reharmonization tools. Check out Beatles smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2009, 10:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2009, 11:04 AM) *
You welcome Ben!

I can assign a song to you but I would prefer if you picked song that you like as you will have to spend time experimenting with these reharmonization tools. Check out Beatles smile.gif

I haven't had time yet, and I'm going to be visiting my girlfriend's family for the next couple of days. I'll bring my laptop, but I'll also have to get the comments for my collab done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2009, 10:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 19 2009, 11:11 AM) *
I haven't had time yet, and I'm going to be visiting my girlfriend's family for the next couple of days. I'll bring my laptop, but I'll also have to get the comments for my collab done.

No rush Ben, do what you have to do first. I know you will do the assignment soon smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 24 2009, 01:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Pedja,

Is there a possibility that we can push this assignment a couple of weeks and go at something a little easier to comprehend now? I simply won't get this done right now, as there's too much going on besides this MTP. I will have a week off in a couple weeks though, but I don't want this assignment to stand in the way of others.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 24 2009, 02:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 24 2009, 02:25 PM) *
Hey Pedja,

Is there a possibility that we can push this assignment a couple of weeks and go at something a little easier to comprehend now? I simply won't get this done right now, as there's too much going on besides this MTP. I will have a week off in a couple weeks though, but I don't want this assignment to stand in the way of others.

Hey Ben,

Sounds good to me. Give me a day to reconstruct your assignment and give you a new one. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 24 2009, 03:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Pedja.

I don't want to neglect this assignment completely though, but if you have something that is a bit easier to go at and doesn't take too much time, it would be wonderful. I'm going to be at work all night today and most of tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 24 2009, 03:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 24 2009, 04:43 PM) *
Thanks, Pedja.

I don't want to neglect this assignment completely though, but if you have something that is a bit easier to go at and doesn't take too much time, it would be wonderful. I'm going to be at work all night today and most of tomorrow.

Sure thing Ben.

I might assign you chord progression with melody or give you a lead sheet and ask you to analyze melody vs harmony relationship. This will be very useful for reharmonization purposes I am just thinking of easier tune to start this off with wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 27 2009, 01:36 AM
Instructor
Ok Ben,

Since you don't have too much time for previous assignment, lets do some more studying smile.gif

What can you tell me about Modal Interchange? What is it, how do we apply it in harmony?

Could you give me an example of a chord progression where modal interchange is applied?

Let me know if you need any help with this, I will give you all the answers you need!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 27 2009, 01:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for the assignment, Pedja! I like these kind of things. Having me explain them, find out about these things and such makes me more aware of the use of them and makes it easier to incorporate in my own writings. I much prefer these kinda tasks than "slavery" tasks of acting it out in 3 songs or similar, though I can see the benefit of that.

It's late here now, so I'm gonna write a bit about it tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 27 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 27 2009, 02:38 AM) *
Thanks for the assignment, Pedja! I like these kind of things. Having me explain them, find out about these things and such makes me more aware of the use of them and makes it easier to incorporate in my own writings. I much prefer these kinda tasks than "slavery" tasks of acting it out in 3 songs or similar, though I can see the benefit of that.

It's late here now, so I'm gonna write a bit about it tomorrow.

You welcome Ben. I am very glad to hear you enjoy these types of assignments. I enjoy them as well. Like you said, they are very beneficial and make you become self aware of these things and how to use them.
I am hoping to get answers from you in next couple of days. If you get things wrong don't worry because I will give you a lesson on it with examples.

Thanks Ben !

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:04 AM