Laney Cub10
MickeM
Aug 25 2010, 10:02 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Got my Laney Cub10 from the local music store today. Covers clean, crunch and with gain on full it's 80's not over the top hard rock.
Just a short summary, no review.

One big advantage is that it has both volume and gain so you can get a lot of preamp gain on low volume. Or turn both up on full for great tones.
Seriously, I'd gig with this one! Not because it's loud, needs to be miked, but because it sounds so great. String separation, a full sound and the 10" is responsive and well toned for this piece.
I've only tested it with humbuckers.

I added a Blackstar Dual pedal which really works with the amp. I wish I had my Bad Monkey OD to try but it's in the rehearsal room. Still, the Dual adds it's part of gain to the gain you already have without getting muddy or blured. I'm very happy with this. Means I could play the Cub10 and hit the first channel of the Dual and get a little added volume and gain and it still sounds like the cub10. I.e more like an OD that doesn't color the sound compared to a distortion pedal that takes over.

I can really recommend the Laney Cub10. I hope it becomes a big hit for Laney, it deservs it. In combination with the Dual pedal (or an OD I'm sure) it's perfect for even heavier tones.
But like with these kind of amps, you're supposed to change tubes and speaker to hunt an even better sound. That's one of the short cuts to save money in the production line. However I'm saving that for when the old tubes run out or when I stumble over a rock n' roll speaker.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 26 2010, 03:07 AM
Instructor
congrats dude! nothing like a great amp

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 26 2010, 06:13 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Looks like a great little screamer smile.gif
Thanks for the review, always fun to read about new stuff smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 26 2010, 12:58 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Seems like an interesting amp smile.gif Is it 5Watts?

I've been planning to try a blackstar dual stomp too, to use along with my AC4. One of these days I'll give it a try at my local shop.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:39 AM