3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Tolek Mtp Thread, mentoring Valentino
Tolek
Jan 9 2009, 09:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there Valentino! smile.gif
First of all, please excuse my absence in the last few days. I had so much to do for school: prepare for a concert, homework, etc. So, here we go! smile.gif
You have probably seen what the MTP suggests for the first 4 weeks: the basics of timing & rhythm, soloing and finger exercises. This week, we will be focusing on chords (of A minor/ C Major) which are played with the pick and then on arpeggios (which follow every single chord). Every week, I am going to show you the lesson and give you additional information about it and some hints so that your skills developpement is more effective. Is it possible for you to record every evening a video what you learned that day? I would comment it and see very frequently where your playing is at.
I suggest you to practise besides your normal practise routine at least 30 minutes on the lesson of that particular week. I am going to post your first homework when you answered in this topic.

I´ve seen your videos and I think you will master them very fast. cool.gif
Do you consent to everything I mentioned above? smile.gif

I can´t wait to start working with you!
See you!
Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 9 2009, 10:03 PM
GMC:er
Hey Tolek mate!!

No worries about absense, we all have lifes to live smile.gif

I'm ready to start and very excited with this experience, and I know you have a lot to offer as I saw in your videos.

Of course it's possible to record the videos, no problem with that.

I practise about 1'5 or 2 hour per day, so there's no problem on use 30 minutes in the lesson, I can use even more time if needed.

YES, I CONSENT!!! smile.gif

This promises to be a great trip mate!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If somebody finds a slice of finger call me please, surely is mine

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 9 2009, 11:28 PM
Learning Rock Star
[I´m writing an answer for more than 1/2 hour now, but I´m still not finished. I´ll post it tomorrow because I can´t write very clever now, sorry! biggrin.gif]

I have some questions to you:

1. Are you familiar with music theory?
2. What music do you listen to?
3. Do you play another instrument?
4. Is it possible that this slice of finger that I am holding is yours? biggrin.gif

Another question will follow maybe. smile.gif

Good night!

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jan 9 2009, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 10 2009, 12:00 PM
In the night is difficult to think (cleverly or not laugh.gif ) if you are used to got to bed early. cool.gif

About the question, here I go with the answers:

1. Are you familiar with music theory?

I'm studing from the Andrew's theory lessons. I'm finding it very instructive.

2. What music do you listen to?

Well, I have my bandwidth in the metal zone. Some groups to give you an idea: Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Manowar, Ozzy Osbourne. Also something more powerful, Sepultura, Obituary, Napalm Death. I like Steve Vai's style (I think we have this in common), Yngwie Malmsteen. This is just a sample to let you know what I listen.

3. Do you play another instrument?

Actually not, but when I was in the school I played flute as a part of plastic. And I think if I take a flute I can play it without problems. But, not, I will not take a flute tongue.gif

4. Is it possible that this slice of finger that I am holding is yours?

Maybe, so please keep it in ice!!! laugh.gif

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 10 2009, 12:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for your answers. smile.gif I still have one question about theory left. What topics in theory do you know well (such as reading notes, chord building, rhythms...)? I think I will do a theoretical analysis of each lesson for you, so that you can reproduce something similiar without problems, ok? I´m currently writing your first homework. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 10 2009, 01:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
OK! Let´s start now.
The Mentored Training Program allots in the first week the (Beginner) Strumming and Arpeggios lesson by Muris. I simply quote from the Syllabus:

Week 1

Timing & rhythm (Part 1) -Chords to a backing track

Beginner- Strumming and Arpeggios

Goal - To play the whole lesson.

Purpose - practice timing and sense of rhythm. If this lesson gives problems - it will be a useful discovery. Dealing with the problem will help progress to the next level.

instructions - A Video showing progress should be provided playing with the backing provided (slower backings can of course be used)

As you see, this lesson should develop your timing and rhythm skills. What you should do first is to have a look at the tabs and try to play the whole lesson while reading. This helps to memorize it. However, the are a few things you should pay attention to:
  • downstrokes (you can use alternate picking, but I recommend this economy picking or "sweeping")
  • chord changes should be as fast and precise as possible
  • when playing the F Major Barré chord, try to move your left wrist a bit more from you away, so that your index finger is pretty straight
  • pay attention to the used fingering

Now, some theory! smile.gif You should know what a chord is: a set of three (a triad) or more different notes that sound simultaneously. And what is an arpeggio? It´s a broken chord in which the notes are played one after another. That lesson is written in A minor natural, but it ends in C Major. We have the following notes: A B C D E F G A.
From this we can build these chords:
A min: A C E
B dim: B D F (this one isn´t used very often in standard chord progressions)
C Maj: C E G
D min: D F A
E min: E G B
F Maj: F A C
G Maj: G B D

In this lesson, the progression goes like this: ||: Am, C, Em, G, Dm, F, G, C :|| (2x).
Let´s take the degrees: ||: I, III, V, VII, IV, VI, VII, III :||. As you can see, every chord of that scale is used (except from the B diminshed chord).
Progressions where nearly every chord of the scale is used are very rare, so you don´t have to remember this one. I just want you to know what is happening here.

Any questions left?

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 11 2009, 06:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Where are you? mellow.gif

I wanted to ask you what techniques (or other topics like timing, etc.) you want to develop.

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 11 2009, 06:43 PM
Heey!! sorry, weekends are always turbulent days rolleyes.gif

I'm doing the lesson, I find difficult the chord shifting, but I think it's normal at the beginning. I keep practising.

The theory thing.. well, I'm keeping in my level lessons as are marked by Andrew, so I'm very familiar with them.

One thing, I don't really understand what you mean with "when playing the F Major Barré chord, try to move your left wrist a bit more from you away, so that your index finger is pretty straight" maybe a sort video or a pic can help me a lot.

Techniques... well, timing is something I don't have problems I think, but chord shifting is something I find very difficult, so if you know something to improve it let me know, but I think is only practise and practise.

Tomorrow I'll do a video. Weekend was very destructive for me laugh.gif so it's better to do the video tomorrow.

cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 11 2009, 07:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good to hear from you again! smile.gif Now, I know that you don´t have much time on weekends.

I made a small video explanation for you:

I hope this helps and if not, let me know. Chord shifting is a matter of getting used to chords. You have to reproduce the chords plus shifting in your head without problems. Your goal is to know how to grab a chord and which fingers to use and this without thinking much. If you have troubles with anything, I can make another video where I play this lesson.

About theory: So, I can continue analyzing the lessons for you? Does this help you and is it understandable?

About chord shifting technique: if you know the chords by heart, you should have no problems with shifting after a few days. As you said, it is a matter of practise. smile.gif

I can´t wait for the video. Let me know if ANY problems appear. smile.gif

Cheers,
Tolek

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 12 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the video, now I see what you mean, thanks.

Theoretical analysis has been very good to me, to see how the theory applies to the lessons, and is easier to understand. Thanks mate.

I'm now at work, so I'll continue the lesson this evening.

Cheers!

Valentin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 12 2009, 03:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (valentino @ Jan 12 2009, 02:10 PM) *
Thanks for the video, now I see what you mean, thanks.

Theoretical analysis has been very good to me, to see how the theory applies to the lessons, and is easier to understand. Thanks mate.

I'm now at work, so I'll continue the lesson this evening.

Cheers!

Valentin

Very good! smile.gif I can´t wait for the video. Am I going to see it this evening maybe? Did you understand EVERYTHING of the theory well? You know that it is very important to know what is happening in music to understand it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jan 12 2009, 03:09 PM

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 12 2009, 06:08 PM
I'm practicing the lesson in this moment. But I'm omitting the arpeggio for now because I want to feel confident with the chord shifting and I'm using the 75bpm backing to have time to do a good fingering. Is it ok?

So, can I do the video this way too?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 12 2009, 06:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
OK! I think that you won´t have any problems with the arpeggios since you don´t have to change the fingers to play it. It´s just playing the chord much slower. smile.gif

I´m looking forward to the video. wink.gif

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 12 2009, 07:50 PM
ok, here you have the video.

As you can see I still have problems with the shifting, I hope during the week I can do it well, and with arpeggios dry.gif

sorry man, you have the most awkward student mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 12 2009, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
You did a good job, Valentino! You don´t have to feel bad about your playing. I know that you are beginner and you have problems with things that seem pretty normal and easy to other guitarists. It is so normal, results come with practise, so never give up. Here at GMC are a lot of people who support you. My job as a mentor is to show you the best way through the jungle of guitar learning, so don´t excuse because you aren´t perfect which nobody, by the way, ok? smile.gif

Your position shifting looks pretty solid and the best is that it sounds extremely clean. Also, your right hand really knows what to do. You always play the correct strings and in time (except one time wink.gif).
Now some critiques. biggrin.gif Your left hand thumb should be placed in the middle of the neck so that shifting becomes even easier. Also, techniques like string skipping, legato, sweep picking, alternate picking, etc. become MUCH easier. Try to keep your thumb at that place. Here´s a video to clarify everything:

Oh, I forgot to add that you can try to keep your fingers perpendicular to the fretboard. You don´t have to, it looks more elegant and is only sometimes a way to make things easier.

The next period consists of introducing the arpeggios. I believe that you will master it without problems. Your chords are stable and a good basis to play single notes on them.

Keep up this work! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Jan 12 2009, 08:39 PM

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 13 2009, 09:05 AM
Ok thanks. By the way, I can endure harsher critiques if needed, I mean, if something is really bad, is just it, really bad and no sweet words are necesary, so don't feel bad saying the truth tongue.gif

I noticed what were the problem on the "not in time" chord, that was a lilttle finger problem. It's hard to me moving the little finger were I want and very often this finger arrives late, so it's another issue to correct.

About theory of chord progression if I understand the sequence is:

First play is a minor witch is the relative minor of the following major we play, then we go one degree up in the circle of fifths and do the same, and then, we go back 2 degrees in the circle and again do the same with relative minor and major and then we go back using only the majors. All of this having in mind that we are using the scale of Am, so Am is the first interval. Is it ok?

Cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 13 2009, 05:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (valentino @ Jan 13 2009, 09:05 AM) *
Ok thanks. By the way, I can endure harsher critiques if needed, I mean, if something is really bad, is just it, really bad and no sweet words are necesary, so don't feel bad saying the truth tongue.gif

Sure! biggrin.gif This time I didn´t have to be harsh. smile.gif You did a good job.

I noticed what were the problem on the "not in time" chord, that was a lilttle finger problem. It's hard to me moving the little finger were I want and very often this finger arrives late, so it's another issue to correct.

Try to position the following chord before you have to play it (about 1 beat before). This gives you enough time to move your pinky to the right place.

About theory of chord progression if I understand the sequence is:

First play is a minor witch is the relative minor of the following major we play, then we go one degree up in the circle of fifths and do the same, and then, we go back 2 degrees in the circle and again do the same with relative minor and major and then we go back using only the majors. All of this having in mind that we are using the scale of Am, so Am is the first interval. Is it ok?

You can interpret it like this, but I would never come to it! Much too difficult! laugh.gif
The following table should help you to identify the chord progression:

• Am = I
  • C = III
  • Em = V
  • G = VII
  • (Bdim = II)
  • Dm = IV
  • F = VI
  • G = VII
  • C = III

This is the progression. You wonder why I added the Bdim chord, here the answer:
If you have a look at the intervals, you will see that there´s always a 3rd between them (minor or major, it depends. you have to stay in the A minor natural scale, that´s how it´s decided). The chord that is build on the B is diminished and as I said it sounds a bit weird, so Muris decided to skip it. That 3rd movement is interrupted when the G chord reappears. This is because we want to get a traditional IV-V-1 cadence in C Major. The I degree is C Maj, the II is F and the V is G. Personally, I would say this lesson is in C Major because we don´t have a G# (which would justify the A Minor harmonic (natural minor scale with a 7th Maj)) and we end with C. However, Muris says this is in A minor, so I follow his idea.

A little theory exercice for you: try to figure out the chords of this progression in Dmin/FMaj and Emin/GMaj.
Good luck!

Tolek

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 14 2009, 08:56 AM
Hey mate!

Here you have the theory exercice:

Dm

Dm= I
F= III
Am= V
C= VII
Edim= II
Gm= IV
Bb= VI
C= VII
F= III

F Maj

Fm= I
A= III
Cm= V
E= VII
G dim= II
Bb m= IV
D= VI
E= VII
A= III

Em

Em= I
G= III
Bm= V
D= VII
Gb dim= II
Am= IV
C= VI
D= VII
G= III

G Maj

Gm= I
B= III
Dm= V
Gb= VII
A dim= II
Cm= IV
E= VI
Gb= VII
B= III

Ididn't know why the combination of Major, minor and diminished, so I went to the theory board and saw the modes progression and found that this is the Aeolian mode.

I couldn't record a video yesterday, but this evening you'll have one.

Cheers!

Valentin

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 14 2009, 01:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well done, Valentino! Actually, you did a bit too much. biggrin.gif I asked you to do only Dmin and Emin and mentioned the relative scales F Maj and G Maj. You applied the same chord progression to the Major Scales and forgot about notes of the scale. Example: F Maj, II degree. You say it's G dim, but it's G min since the notes are: G Bb E. I'm not going to write this progression in Major because it will sound a bit strange, I think (I can't check it because I am at school right now).

When I get home this evening, you'll get a more complete answer, ok?
See you

+Quote Post
valentino
Jan 14 2009, 05:48 PM
hehe, well what I did is just take the same chord progression, but I really don't know how it's built, I mean, I don't know what kind of relationship are with notes of the scale and the chord progression. So, if there is a minor where I put a diminished is ok, I believe you, but I don't know why it is this way tongue.gif

Here you are your take with arpeggios, 75bpm, I really can't do it faster mate, sorry.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 PM