Symphonic Metal, I need your help :)
Dinaga
Jan 6 2012, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi people, I need your advice on this one. smile.gif

I'd like to try something new in my musical journey, so I need some starting points. I'm about to join a symphonic metal band. The problem is... I never really played that kind of metal, and my only connection with symphonic metal is Nightwish. But I'm supposed to write wongs and, of course, solos to accompany those songs. For example, we recorded out first demo song today, and I was supposed to pull off a solo without any preparation. So I played what was on the top of my head, and it was pretty much a classic heavy metal solo, which wasn't fitting here at all.

So, I'd really appreciate some directions, like what scales and chord progressions are most common, and what other bands should I give a listen. Is neoclassical approach good here?

Thanks a lot in advance, cheers. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 6 2012, 10:34 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 6 2012, 10:34 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Can't really give you advice on the technical stuff, but check out these bands:

Within Temptation
Epica
Leaves Eyes
Xandria
After Forever
Sirenia
Seasons End

Now I don't listen to this stuff that often, but have seen some of these bands at festivals and like a bunch of songs from them. Some of them don't really use guitar solos, maybe they just don't fit sometimes?
I'm sure Todd can give you great advice on this, I know he really digs this style.

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Jan 6 2012, 10:34 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 6 2012, 10:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 6 2012, 09:02 PM) *
So, I'd really appreciate some directions, like what scales and chord progressions are most common, and what other bands should I give a listen. Is neoclassical approach good here?

Maybe you can listen Rhapsody of Fire. I love them a lot! Their guitarist Luca Turilli always uses neoclassical stuff. As for scale, you can try Harmonic Minor i guess. Hope that helps a bit smile.gif

Cheers,
Dogukan.

This post has been edited by quadrium: Jan 6 2012, 11:04 PM

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Jan 6 2012, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
I don't really think you could fit in with neoclassical stuff, that thing only goes well for Luca...

Do you have male or female vocalist?

Try listening to some of Blind Guardian's more symphonic stuff, you can find great ideas there. Also there are a lot of good solos in Nightwish songs, and they are pretty much like "classical metal".

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 6 2012, 11:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. I'm checking these bands you recommended right now. smile.gif

@TeoWulf: The vocalist is female. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 6 2012, 11:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2012, 06:07 AM
GMC:er
Congrats! Nightwish is a great band and a great example of the form and a good place for inspiration. As far as scales, learn these

MINOR
BLUES
HARMONIC MINOR

in a couple or few postions on the neck. Those three scales will cover a TON of ground for you.

Todd

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 6 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Hi people, I need your advice on this one. smile.gif

I'd like to try something new in my musical journey, so I need some starting points. I'm about to join a symphonic metal band. The problem is... I never really played that kind of metal, and my only connection with symphonic metal is Nightwish. But I'm supposed to write wongs and, of course, solos to accompany those songs. For example, we recorded out first demo song today, and I was supposed to pull off a solo without any preparation. So I played what was on the top of my head, and it was pretty much a classic heavy metal solo, which wasn't fitting here at all.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 7 2012, 11:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 7 2012, 06:07 AM) *
Congrats! Nightwish is a great band and a great example of the form and a good place for inspiration. As far as scales, learn these

MINOR
BLUES
HARMONIC MINOR

in a couple or few postions on the neck. Those three scales will cover a TON of ground for you.

Todd

Thanks mate! smile.gif Wow, I'm kind of surprised, I didn't really expect the blues scale biggrin.gif I guess I'll have to study more. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2012, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Mate, the approach I'd have, would be to listen to A LOT of music oriented in that direction in order to hear intricacies, details, structures, forms whatever makes that style a style wink.gif

Then take Todd's advice into account, as those scales can cover a lot of ground in this direction!

All the best and may your journey be a swift one wink.gif

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 16 2012, 07:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
There are many different kinds of Symphonic Metal. Symphony X is extremely technical and complex both rhythmically and theoretically. Avantasia (Tobias Sammet from Edguy) is extremely tasty and only brings the most melodic aspects of metal into their music. Dream Theater isn't technically symphonic metal, but they too have many concepts that you can apply to your own playing.

I'm not sure. I don't like putting music into boxes, but at least you have some suggestions. smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 16 2012, 07:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot guys. smile.gif I'm finished with composing my first solo for the band, I borrowed some stuff from neoclassical metal though. Will share when I practice it enough, and also I'll post our song here when we get it recorded so you can tell if we're heading the right way. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 16 2012, 07:36 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 16 2012, 09:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 16 2012, 06:35 AM) *
Thanks a lot guys. smile.gif I'm finished with composing my first solo for the band, I borrowed some stuff from neoclassical metal though. Will share when I practice it enough, and also I'll post our song here when we get it recorded so you can tell if we're heading the right way. smile.gif

Looking forward to it mate! smile.gif do not limit yourself to anything, as long as you make it fit with the musical context wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jan 16 2012, 09:28 AM

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 19 2012, 10:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey people, just wanted to share with you that our first song is almost done. smile.gif
We recorded bass, keyboard and guitar parts. In this version of the song are just some lame drum samples from EZdrummer which I put just so it doesn't sound empty, but our drummer will make more creative drums soon. And we need to record the vocals.

I'm the one who's doing the mastering and it's the first time I'm in charge of a song production so bear with me. biggrin.gif When I was in my former bands, we usually just recorded everything and then paid someone to do the production but now my goal is to learn it so we can save money and gain knowledge, and it will (hopefully) make everything easier, plus give us the freedom to finish the song the way we want to.

Here's what we made so far, the instrumental version:

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dolia-winter-queen

When we finish the song, I will put that version so you can tell me what you think of it as a whole smile.gif
For now, I'd really appreciate your general opinion about the song, the melody, catchi-ness, production (it probably sucks, I know), and in the end, the solo smile.gif

Thanks a lot in advance mates, cheers! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:24 PM