2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Staying Up All Night Practing Guitar
chetta2323
Dec 11 2008, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
any tips???

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 11 2008, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Tips to what exactly?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Dec 11 2008, 08:39 PM
on like how to stay up and what to practice ect.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2008, 08:41 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
What are you going to practice ? I would just recommend making pauses regularly in your playing...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
sigma7
Dec 11 2008, 08:42 PM
drink lots of water first of all to eep ur muscles and body hydrated...
and dont stay up all night because ull get soo tired you wont learn anything, it will be a waste of time

--------------------

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Dec 11 2008, 08:44 PM
well not limke all night but like until 1 or 2

+Quote Post
Tolek
Dec 11 2008, 08:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (sigma7 @ Dec 11 2008, 08:42 PM) *
drink lots of water first of all to eep ur muscles and body hydrated...
and dont stay up all night because ull get soo tired you wont learn anything, it will be a waste of time

Correct. Just go to bed at night. It´s not very clever to practise at night. Your tiredness won´t allow you to develop your skills.
If you can, you should daily play like 30 minutes. If not, take you time at weekends and play/jam for 2 hours or so. I don´t know much about you, so I can´t recommend you something to practise. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2008, 08:52 PM
Regarding tips I would suggest focused exercise practice for a certain technique using a metronome ? Or maybe practicing scales by jamming solos to backing tracks ? Have fun...

Regarding practicing time : its not good to practice when you are tired..But if your not tired and you feel inspired and focused go for it..I like the evening time to play guitar, that is the part of the day when my concentration and study abilities are on max smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 11 2008, 08:54 PM
heheh, you shouldnt need tips to stay up all night and practice... if you feel that it might happen just let it happen on its own, but don't force it...

this reminds me of when I got my first real guitar... (and the one I still use today)

got back from the shop at about 7pm.... went to sleep at about 4:30 am tongue.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
berko
Dec 11 2008, 08:59 PM
Its much more rewarding to practice in the evening but only when you're still fresh. It can help if you make sure that guitar is the very last thing in your daily schedule (I mean before brushing your teeth biggrin.gif ). This way and having a good sleep over it your brain can store your new info of your muscles very deeply. It's much more useful than falling off the chair of being completely exhausted smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2008, 09:07 PM
Instructor
I practice mostly at night, so I can recommend making regular pauses where you go to wash your face a bit to stay focused, and drink some coffee. But you can't practice all night if you are not used to practicing while night. As soon as your concentration is starting go away, just lay down and go to bed, you won't learn anything like that.

You can practice all kinds of things during night, like different picking techniques, runs, chords, rhythm, arpeggios, songs, simple exercises, bends, vibrato, etc.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
chetta2323
Dec 11 2008, 09:26 PM
look guys i get back from school at 1 30 and i wirk out 4 an hour and then sleep until nine so im welll rested and refreshed

+Quote Post
sigma7
Dec 12 2008, 01:00 AM
in that case drink lots of water, and coffee, takes breaks and stretch, play scales, the whole shebang

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 12 2008, 01:17 AM
Instructor
Find what gets you going in your practicing and stick with it. As you practice on regular basis, your practice time will increase as it will become your regular thing in life -just like eating and sleeping!

So thats my suggestion for time frame.

For topics to practice , work on songs, techniques, jamming , recording , songwriting and ear training - these are some of the most important areas in development.

Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 12 2008, 05:49 AM
haha I jam all night all the time, sometimes you get in the zone and don't want to put the axe down...

Get lots of caffeine (I prefer alcohol but I'm a bad influence and it's a depressant - but it works for me haha) drink water in conjunction with the caffeine... get some awesome backing tracks and go to town.

Maybe try to learn a new song that'll get you in the zone, then practice some technique building, then do a free jam. For me that can take up a whole night wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 12 2008, 03:48 PM
Instructor
Seems everybody is giving good advices here smile.gif If you are refreshed in the evenings then just drink some coffee around 10 o clock, and start practicing then. 5 hour session should be enough, after that you can go to bed not because it is late, but because you will need some time to rest and allow the things you have practice to settle down a bit before tomorrows session. So one coffee, and plenty or water, and something easy to eat, nothing heavy, and you will be OK mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Dec 12 2008, 03:56 PM
One thing you may find is that you will be less able to learn new stuff late in the evening - however, there has been a lot of studies showing that learning continues during your sleep period (only if you deep sleep AND have Rem sleep - missing either one negates the learning process). In fact, this type of learning is much more efficient than learning something early and practicing it all day. By efficiency, I am talking about the practice time it takes to learn and perfect a riff.

Try learning a few riffs before you go to bed and then try again the following morning.

+Quote Post
FrankW
Dec 12 2008, 06:24 PM
It's not a good idea to overdo anything, or you'll burn out. But, interestingly, John Petrucci refers to drinking coffee in one of the DVDs I have. I can't remember if it's his instructional video, or one of the live DVDs.
That's what I do. I'll not overdo it though, because too much coffee is not a good idea either. It does "wake me up", when I want to put in an extended amount of time playing. I'm not talking about staying up way past bedtime. I'm talking about a "pick me up" during a practice session. Be careful with that, though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2008, 08:25 PM
Hmm I never drink coffee or any other energy boosting drinks.It can get addictive and not that healthy..So I wouldn't recommend that..If you can't stay focused or awake you shouldn't force yourself doing so by drinking something smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Dec 13 2008, 03:48 PM
Drink Redbull/ Jolt/ and Monster.

God Speed.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:03 AM