> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Ballad soloing - dynamics and phrasing, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

mhskeide
Sep 16 2020, 07:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Original lesson: Ballad soloing - dynamics and phrasing by Darius Wave

Yet another lovely session by Darius, which I try not to butcher :P

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 17 2020, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to find a new REC take from you!

I can say that your playing it precise and clean here. You are playing all the parts exactly as they are tabbed, and that's not a small thing. This lesson can seem easy but it's not. Darius playing is full of details in this one.

Now that you can play all licks and phrases tight, I think that the next two elements to work are GROOVE and DYNAMICS.

I'd like to see your right hand moving much more up and down with the backing's rhythm, in order to give the licks more groove. I feel that this is the element that your playing is lacking more here. Letting your body move with the rhythm can also help. I think that you could try exaggerating it a bit to get the feel.

Your dynamics are not bad, but if you get into Darius vid, you'll see how he accentuates some notes while others sound softer. This element, combined with groove will make a big impact in your playing.

That's all by now, keep on the good job!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 19 2020, 08:06 PM
GMC Founder
At times here you display pro playing with all the details nailed - I am very impressed!

Your take is not consistent though, and sometimes you loose control of the subtle nuances.

The most problematic aspect to me are the pitch issues on the b-string though, which prevent me from enjoying the take. I can't tell for sure, but if pitch gets bad after you bend the string, you might want to look into lubricating the nut slot.

Overall you are killing it with progress though 👌you get a 7 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2020, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
No need to re state what has been said so far, so let me focus on a few bits that was struck by smile.gif FIrstly, your vibrato here is quite spiff imho. Good vibrato should start small and grow a bit as it continues. This is one of the things people often struggle with. You've got a very good handle it. Good vibrato is crucial for creating an emotionally compelling solo and yours is very good smile.gif

Also, your tone choice works well for me. It's not overly distorted/gainy and has a nice balance between using enough gain and too much gain. On a solo like this, using too much gain would just kill the vibe. When using lower gain, it requires the hands to work harder and you do it with style.

Lastly your hand synch is very good. Each strike has a purpose and you don't drift in terms of synch, which also throws off the listener. Overall, your technique and tone and playing is impressive. I think you are ready for the next REC!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 25 2020, 06:47 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Great to see you working on "my favorite of mine" series of lessons. No - you are not "butchering" it that a much (place for an ironic smile) smile.gif

I think I can give you some general advices rather than pointing spots this time because some problems occur through all the take.

No matter how good you are, the first thing that will always butcher your performance is a pitch.It sounds like one string has loosen it's tension after a bend. Probably it stucked on the nut and released while playing. If you haven't seen already - please see my tips videos here, at gmc. There is some critical information on how to tune to avoid these problems.

Tone - your tone basic is very good for this lesson. It only lacks some additional fx. For such an "open and air-full" playing a descent amount of good hall and some delicate delay make half of the job for overall impression.

As for playing...

Beginning - the trick is to start moving the pot in almost in the same moment when you hit the strings. That's why I use a thumb or I hammer on notes with my left hand whne right hand is ready on the pot. Trying to execute it your way makes it improper timing-wise. It also takes too much break between hit and swell that it looses too much of power and swell effect is not as consistent.

General - you tend to pick many notes that should be legato or legato-slided. It makes things sound square and takes aways lots of softness that is dedicated for this track.

Vibrato - watch out becasue there is one tricky thing about it. Sometimes emotionall load wants to release itself in for of overdone vibrato or whammy use or picking hand strength. It is not always in the mood od the track. In other words it is over-expression. I usually put a lot of attention to vinrato pulse and depth. I think it is workth to analyze each note becasue and rarely make there anything random. These details really matter. Your at the stage when from my point of view you already can sound like a pro, but you pass on too many deatils that pro would not pass and this is the general difference.

I bet you have the capabilities to make this lesson on a very good level. I also belive that you can do it wihtou my feedback but....you will think several times that your done with it before you actually will. There's soo much your missing and that where real fun beginns. Don't take it away from yourself just to make more lsson monthly or similar not necessary wise argument. Make less, but more precise and you would already sound likse someone better than what you show us smile.gif

I hold my thumbs and wait for a polished version. It doesn't have to be week, month, year. Time doens't matter.

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 14 2020, 11:48 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:42 PM