New Amp, i need some advice on which amp is best for me please
norules
Apr 7 2013, 06:03 PM
GMC:er
hello people.

i'm looking to get a new amp. reason being i have a roland cube 40xl which i do like but i've now got my band off the ground and it is not loud enough to compete with a drum kit. alot of the gigs i'm going to play i'm not gonna be able to mic the amp so i need something loud enough to be heard over the drummer.

my band is very loud. we're a 3 piece but our drummer is a very hard hitter and we play what i call dub punk. we go from all out heavy fast punk/metal to chilled out dub reggae to drum n bass in one song so the amp needs to be able to cover cleans and heavy distortion. i use alot of effects as well. Ideally i want the amp to have 2 channels and no built in effects. i'm not over bothered about an effects loop. i also like the idea of having a separate amp and cab as we will be traveling a lot and i wont always need the cab.

i've never owned a valve amp but i'm very interested in getting one.

a couple of questions please:

what wattage amp do you think i need? ive been looking at some of the 15w valve amps you get these days such as orange tiny terror and vox night train but as my 40w amp isn't cutting it will one of these? Ive heard they will and i understand that the watts in relation to volume is different between valve and transistor amps but i'm not too sure.

if i did get one of these small valve amps what size cab would i need to play un-miced gigs?

is it wise to buy a second hand valve amp?

if i just got a head can that be put straight into a p.a or does it have to have a cab mic'd to do that?

can anyone recommend me an amp that would suit my needs? my budget is about 500-700 including the cab

thanks very much for your time sorry for so many questions

wayne

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:13 AM