4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Gmc Songwriting Collaboration (!), Let's write a song together!
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 12 2014, 08:27 PM
GMC Founder
We have done many cool lead guitar collabs - and I thought now would be a good time to try something different.

My idea is for us to write a song together!

Do you have any ideas? Maybe you have written a cool riff / chord progression, or maybe some lyrics? Maybe you have come up with a melody but don’t really know what to do with it? Maybe you have programmed a beat/drum track of some kind? Maybe you have got some flute chops ( biggrin.gif )

As you can probably tell this is just blank sheet right now, so any idea you have got - throw 'em in! They don't have to fit a specific genre, tempo or key. Let’s just gather ideas first and see where it takes us.

Btw there will most likely be opportunities for those of you who would just like to record some lead guitar as well, but we obviously need a backing track and song structure set first!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quantum
Oct 12 2014, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
Hi there! smile.gif

My suggestion is to build the base on a similar chord progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4eBkibHY8

Then we could play something really melodic. And transition to a different one later.

Greetings,

Dian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 12 2014, 09:53 PM
GMC Founder
Hey Dian, that could be a cool approach. Do you have any favorite chord progression?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 13 2014, 01:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Very cool initiative. Sounds interesting smile.gif
I will say my thought about the song. I'm not say already I'm in but I will decide myself soon ( I have too many things to do in the same time) wink.gif

I guess there are many possibilities for song. First of all I will start with a question. We want to make a backing with a structure for a song or we want a backing as for a jamming? Because this will make the difference at the final result. I hope you understand what I want to mean smile.gif I have too many ideas so I will try to explain:
1. We can make a song with a simple chord progression to be easy for all of us to play over it and add a modulation part to make the song much juicy.
2. We can make a song with parts from different styles influence, break of rhythms but suitable for any levels of playing.
When I say different styles influences I have in mind your new tune Kris (that you played at Vchat) wink.gif You have some neoclassical parts with some blues-jazzy parts. Of course we can make any combination of styles we want.
3. We can think to make a base which has a similar structure with a backing for collabs. This option I guess will have a jamming feel.

The second question of mine is: If I choose to play something for backing track no matter at what kind of instrument I choose to play, it can be possible also to record some lead guitar part? smile.gif

These has been my first thoughts and questions about song smile.gif One more thing, my suggestion after we will decide the style, tempo, structure, sounds, particular instruments, I think it would be good to talk about guitar tone (a very important part for a good result). From my point of view guitar tone can make the song to sound as a crap or not and I guess we want this song to be: "From zero to hero" biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 13 2014, 02:26 PM
GMC Founder
My idea for this collab is to try and create something which we would actually want to listen to on our ipods (or whatever device we carry). The normal collabs we do are a lot of fun, but they don't teach you guys how to write a meaningful song (rather they teach how to write a meaningful, but stand-alone, guitar part).

So I would like to write something which sounds like a real song, but still contains as much influences as possible from the community.

* Rhythm guitar sound: In order to get a coherent sound I will either re-record whatever guitar parts we decide upon, or I will re-amp your audio

* For leads I can either do re-amp, maybe EQ matching - or even re-record the takes myself if needed.

* we can (and should!) also use software instruments (drums, pianos, synths etc) and in this case sound is usually not a problem, as we can bounce midi files back and forth but still use the same sound engine in my audio project.

In order to squeeze in as many people as possible, I would want to structure the song with some kind of question and answer thing (listen to the verses of my song "love me" for example):

By having guitar leads answering a main melody we can get away with a lots of cool licks without getting a messy song structure.

Of course everyone will not get a long solo, but I believe that teaching you how to play three perfect notes is what you currently need most. If you learn that, just imagine how cool it will be when you can play 20 perfect notes in a row?! Besides, if you want to do studio work, no one usually wants to hear long guitar solos - they will want to hear guitar parts that enhance and complement the music.

Even if a take of yours does not survive until the final version, just being involved in this collab will be very stimulating, since we will discuss and make informed decisions about where we take the song. And that analysis is the main goal of this collab.

--

So if you guys want to send me your ideas you can either do it here, or send me a private message. Remember there are no good or bad starting points for a song, songwriting is just an equation:

component A + component B + component C = cool song

Component A can pretty much be whatever you want, but it will have a heavy influence on the choice component B and C in order to get a cool song. (well at least what I perceive as a cool song..! ph34r.gif )

With this cryptic talk I am trying to say that the easy part is now, because you can throw on anything you want at this stage!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 13 2014, 06:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
This sounds like a lot of fun. If we're going for an EP sound, there's room for 3 or 4 guitars in the rhythm secion alone smile.gif It would be cool to take a Porcupine Tree approach - slow to epic back to slow again, where there's room for accoustic/easy playing into hair-raising full blown in your face metal riffage.

As for organizing such a project - songs typically progress from an initial idea that gets thrown out there as a scratch track / concept. If adopted, then the folk responsible for that scratch can begin refining it while the next set of people work on the transition to the next song concept. It would be challenging, but fun I think to try to tie the second concept back int the first concept to close out the song.

I think a guitar opening for 2 bars, then drums and bass coming in to support that idea for the next 16 or so bars (perhaps vocals coming in after the 4th / 8th bar to help carry the initial idea for some time. So we'd need a guitar opener idea to build on, then someone to brave out a drum track and bass (*cough - Bogdan ** cough cough ** bogdan) to support that. Then someone else can come up with a concept to tie in to the first idea and take it full metal or full rock smile.gif. Rinse and repeat. And I'd like to hear your dreamy voice again, Kris smile.gif

Just blathering how I would approach it smile.gif

Would this include video as well? I can supply some bunny rabbit footage biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Oct 13 2014, 06:26 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Amir Razmara
Oct 13 2014, 08:21 PM
GMC:er
How exciting !!! This is great.. I will keep a close eye on this thread to see how things develop :-)))

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 13 2014, 08:31 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 13 2014, 07:24 PM) *
This sounds like a lot of fun. If we're going for an EP sound, there's room for 3 or 4 guitars in the rhythm secion alone smile.gif It would be cool to take a Porcupine Tree approach - slow to epic back to slow again, where there's room for accoustic/easy playing into hair-raising full blown in your face metal riffage.

I think a guitar opening for 2 bars, then drums and bass coming in to support that idea for the next 16 or so bars (perhaps vocals coming in after the 4th / 8th bar to help carry the initial idea for some time. So we'd need a guitar opener idea to build on, then someone to brave out a drum track and bass (*cough - Bogdan ** cough cough ** bogdan) to support that. Then someone else can come up with a concept to tie in to the first idea and take it full metal or full rock smile.gif. Rinse and repeat. And I'd like to hear your dreamy voice again, Kris smile.gif

Perfect - that's an excellent suggestion and goes very well in had in mind. We have to go for something that's at a manageable tempo for most people but still sounds cool (and layering will certainly help here), and which allows for several different sections (we'll be able to squeeze in more styles=more people).

Btw what do you mean with EP sound?

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 13 2014, 07:24 PM) *
Would this include video as well? I can supply some bunny rabbit footage biggrin.gif

Of course, we couldn't do without your cute little rabbit =) No seriously if we end up with a cool song, I can't see how we wouldn't do a video as well.

QUOTE (Amir Razmara @ Oct 13 2014, 09:21 PM) *
How exciting !!! This is great.. I will keep a close eye on this thread to see how things develop :-)))

You're most welcome to just hang around Amir!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 13 2014, 08:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 13 2014, 12:31 PM) *
Btw what do you mean with 'EP' sound?

I just meant something that ties off, as opposed to random noodling throught - organized with a knowable progression. EP was the wrong word - a red herring to make me sound smart unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 13 2014, 08:38 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 13 2014, 09:35 PM) *
I just meant something that ties off, as opposed to random noodling throught - organized with a knowable progression. EP was the wrong word - a red herring to make me sound smart unsure.gif

Ok I see. It worked! You seem very smart! Btw what's a red herring? (I think we're caught in a never ending loop! laugh.gif )

Right now I am itching to get started, but I will hold myself so other people get a chance to lay the foundation for this one. I will probably be all over it anyway when we're done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 13 2014, 08:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 13 2014, 12:38 PM) *
Ok I see. It worked! You seem very smart! Btw what's a red herring? (I think we're caught in a never ending loop! laugh.gif )

Red Herring

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 13 2014, 08:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 13 2014, 09:44 PM) *

What's the wikipedia? I told you this would never end!

...sorry couldn't resist tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 13 2014, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 13 2014, 12:46 PM) *
...sorry couldn't resist tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

me either biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 13 2014, 09:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 13 2014, 09:52 PM) *
rolleyes.gif

me either biggrin.gif

You're not that nervous about this, are you? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2014, 10:40 AM
GMC Founder
Ok I couldn't stop myself cool.gif so here is a first idea for an intro.

It's in G major / 70 bpm and will easily translate to a slow and heavy riff in E minor - re-using the same melody as this clean part but with heavy chugging in between the melody notes. It could kick in with lots of explosions and dynamics after the clean intro (love that kind of stuff biggrin.gif )

Attached File  intro_idea1.mp3 ( 478.7K ) Number of downloads: 168

Quick 'n dirty tab ( I play this using fingerpicking, middle single coil of my strat, AC30 type amp with compression and tremolo effect):

---2/3----2/3
--5------5---
-4------4----
5------5-----
-------------
-------------

---2/3\2p0------
--5--------3-5-5
-4---------4-4-4
5----------5-5-5
----------------
----------------

---2/3----2/3
--5------5---
-4------4----
5------5-----
-------------
-------------

---2/3\2p0-5-7-7
--5--------5-7-7
-4---------4-5-5
5----------5-7-7
----------------
----------------

Here is a quick n dirty looped version in case you guys think we should work on a longer intro. (possibilities are endless, we could add more electric/acoustic guitars, volume swells, backgrounds strings, pads etc etc)

Attached File  intro_idea1_looped.mp3 ( 2.78MB ) Number of downloads: 124

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor
Hi everybody! This collaboration idea sounds great!! I'm sure that we will be creating an amazing track together! I just listened to Kris initial idea and a powerful riff came to mind. I'm not sure if this one is usable and where, but as it came to my mind I decided to record it.

Check it out! smile.gif

Attached File  Gab_idea_1_with_drums.mp3 ( 804.41K ) Number of downloads: 178

Attached File  Gab_idea_1_only_guitars.mp3 ( 804.41K ) Number of downloads: 126

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2014, 02:12 PM
GMC Founder
Excellent Gab, and that's a brutal sound you have got!

This one is in my project now - I can picture it as bridge riff or when we need tension (for example at the end of a main riff).

We could go for a main riff with lots of tension as well - but I'd prefer something more harmonic as I believe that's where the strongest melodies will come form.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2014, 05:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 14 2014, 10:12 AM) *
Excellent Gab, and that's a brutal sound you have got!

This one is in my project now - I can picture it as bridge riff or when we need tension (for example at the end of a main riff).

We could go for a main riff with lots of tension as well - but I'd prefer something more harmonic as I believe that's where the strongest melodies will come form.

That sounds great! Looking forward new parts for this promising song! smile.gif

I think that everybody should give a try to this one! Don't worry if you think that your idea is not "THE" big idea. The more stuff we provide for this one, the more we have to choose and in the end, the cooler the final song will be!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 14 2014, 07:55 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 14 2014, 06:53 PM) *
I think that everybody should give a try to this one! Don't worry if you think that your idea is not "THE" big idea. The more stuff we provide for this one, the more we have to choose and in the end, the cooler the final song will be!

+1 Couldn't have said it better. Also you run a risk of me finishing the song without you - because I got a good feeling about this one! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 14 2014, 08:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Just listening to Gabs idea gave me an idea which might work straight after Gabs riff or maybe with Gabs riff either side of it -

[attachment=39299:riff.mp3]
or not cool.gif it sounded kinda cool in my head!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:11 AM