Processing Drums
muntahunta
Apr 14 2008, 12:39 AM
Learning Roadie
ok, i have cubase SX 3 and i have some recordings of my band playing live, i need to mix them but have no idea how to mix drums, are there any good tips anyone can give me? i want it to sound good but dont know how lol

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Apr 14 2008, 12:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
I could use some hints on how to mix good as well smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 14 2008, 01:03 AM
Singing Instructor
first off all,do you have a separate channels for every part of drums,like on one snare,other kick drum....etc....
or is it all drums on one channel...?

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Apr 14 2008, 01:53 AM
Learning Roadie
yea, their all seperate.

bass, snare, hats, hi tom, low tom, floor tom, overhead L, overhead R

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 14 2008, 02:04 AM
Singing Instructor
great,that is good...well...
drums are very hard to do,in the subject of mix...I know that Tony could be of more assistance than men,but...
from my expiriance,the one of the must important things for the drums are compressors,you can find one in cubase,
dynamics/dynamics...click on the compresor and,play a litlle with the ratio,and threshold....
don't go below -30 i threshold,and above 3:0.1 in ratio.....

here is some tips on eq I found on the net...smile.gif

Kick Drum:
Besides the usual cuts in the 200Hz to 400 area, some tighter Q cuts at 160Hz, 800Hz and 1.3k may help. The point of these cuts makes for space for the fundamental tones of a bass guitar or stand up. I have also found a high pass filter at 50Hz will help tighten up the kick along with giving your compressor a signal it can deal with musically. 5K to 7K for snap.
Snare Drum:
The snare drum is an instrument that can really be clouded by having too much low end. Frequencies under about 150Hz are really un-usable for modern mixing styles. I would suggest a high pass filter in this case. Most snares are out front enough so a few cuts might be all that is needed. I like to start with 400Hz, 800Hz, and some 1.3K. This are just frequencies to play with. Doesn't mean you will use all. If the snare is too transparent in the mix but I like the level it is at, a cut at 5K can give it a little more distance and that might mean a little boost at 10K to brighten it up.
High Hats:
High hats have very little low end information. I high pass at 200Hz can clean up a lot of un-usable mud in regards to mic bleed. The mid tones are the most important to a high hat. This will mean the 400Hz to 1K area but I've found the 600Hz to 800Hz area to be the most effective. To brighten up high hats, a shelving filter at 12.5K does nicely.
Toms and Floor Toms:
Again, the focus here is control. Most toms could use a cut in the 300Hz to 800Hz area. And there is nothing real usable under 100Hz for a tom... unless you are going for a special effect. Too much low end cloud up harmonics and the natural tones of the instrument. Think color not big low end.

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 14 2008, 08:36 PM
Instructor
Cool, nice tips (from the net) smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 15 2008, 03:54 PM
Singing Instructor
The best way to do eq,well you have to learn some of the basics,but when you are exploring your self....
I mean,take snare....and put it in loop,and then play with frquencies...then you can find your one style,and find the desire sound.....smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 16 2008, 05:13 PM
Instructor
When you are using live drum recordings, make sure you are not using too much compression or the bleed will hear and you can risk of going out of phase or damage the overall mix. Also be gentle while EQing, and make several versions that you can hear a day after so your ears can rest and you can judge better and pick the right one. When you don't know much about it, use some general guidelines and do what is best for you. Don't try to do whatever you hear from other. Producers are people like musician each one with it's own musical and sound picture preference. Just work your way to make a stable and not too bassy live drum sound image. When you do that, slowly add bass, guitars, keys, vocal whatever, and work your way using spectrometers to analyze the frequencies better and easier, and listening to the overall mix on several different speaker systems.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 16 2008, 06:38 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 16 2008, 06:13 PM) *
When you are using live drum recordings, make sure you are not using too much compression or the bleed will hear and you can risk of going out of phase or damage the overall mix. Also be gentle while EQing, and make several versions that you can hear a day after so your ears can rest and you can judge better and pick the right one. When you don't know much about it, use some general guidelines and do what is best for you. Don't try to do whatever you hear from other. Producers are people like musician each one with it's own musical and sound picture preference. Just work your way to make a stable and not too bassy live drum sound image. When you do that, slowly add bass, guitars, keys, vocal whatever, and work your way using spectrometers to analyze the frequencies better and easier, and listening to the overall mix on several different speaker systems.

Ah,well sad my friend wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:35 AM