Scalloping Frets
Nick325
Dec 31 2007, 10:03 PM
GMC:er
im think about doing this to a couple of my top frets and if i like it i may do my whole fretboard. are there any disadvantages to it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Khaos Keith
Dec 31 2007, 10:08 PM
ive heard some people have problem with playing straight cords if the whole fret board is scalloped. so just in case it was a problem i just scalloped my last 12 frets... and it works great. i love it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Random Person : "got a myspace page?"

Me : "hahaha who doesn't? the url is

http://www.myspace.com/maidenmayhem

hahah"

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Dec 31 2007, 10:17 PM
I heard it helps with bends and vibratos but makes everything else harder, speed wise. So if you are going for tone, why not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Dec 31 2007, 10:25 PM
Learning Roadie
i scalloped frets 17-24 and i havent found anything any harder!
it makes vibrato andbending alot easier though

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 31 2007, 10:45 PM
What do you do if you scallop frets? Because I've heard about them but never quite understood...

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
swingline
Dec 31 2007, 10:49 PM
QUOTE (Tomy Jeon @ Dec 31 2007, 01:45 PM) *
What do you do if you scallop frets? Because I've heard about them but never quite understood...

Its taking out some of the wood between frets I've always seen it done by sanding or using a lightly curved wood chisel.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 31 2007, 10:51 PM
Why not get bigger frets?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 1 2008, 12:01 AM
Its the design of the concave gaps that make it so you don't have to press with a lot of pressure you just have to get it to the fretting point.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Jan 1 2008, 12:07 AM
Oh thanks smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 1 2008, 11:39 AM
Instructor
Nick,
Check out this thread

We talked about this a few weeks ago smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 3 2008, 03:33 PM
Learning Tone Guru
I see a problem in future - that on everything, anyone asks, there will be a straight answer - "We discussed it X days/weeks/years ago, check this link":-D

I am not picking on you Marcus in anyway;) I just imagined a future in say 2 years :-D

Btw. can scalloping by done DYI? or do you have to send it to some guitar master/maker(class)? (EDIT: I just red the link, no need to answer:-D)

Oh... now I got an idea... Guitar maker class.. What about Guitar making collaboration?:-D To send a piece of wood from one participant to another, paint it, customize it, vanhalenzie it, dahl it, denisjuk it etc etc. and then put it on Ebay, and from the money we will get, we can buy ourselves a JEM's :-D

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jan 3 2008, 03:40 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Jan 3 2008, 03:36 PM
Learning Roadie
the fact that things have already been discussed just means that this site has more to offer since the answers are already here... and if their not then just ask tongue.gif

i scalloped my frets with a 1/4" wood file, a 1/4" steel file, a variety of sandpaper and some lemon oil.
cost me a total of around £20.
it does take alot of time to do though and mine is far from perfect (the binding looks horrible) but its all cosmetic problems. plays perfectly biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jan 3 2008, 03:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 3 2008, 03:33 PM) *
What about Guitar making collaboration?:-D To send a piece of wood from one participant to another

Hey Jakub,
Well, we have already discussed that in another thread laugh.gif laugh.gif Nah, just kidding smile.gif

I think that's a cool idea biggrin.gif but I wonder what It would cost in the end, with all those shipping costs huh.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
steve25
Jan 3 2008, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Jan 3 2008, 04:47 PM) *
Hey Jakub,
Well, we have already discussed that in another thread laugh.gif laugh.gif Nah, just kidding smile.gif

I think that's a cool idea biggrin.gif but I wonder what It would cost in the end, with all those shipping costs huh.gif

And who would get to keep it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jan 3 2008, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Jan 3 2008, 12:01 PM) *
And who would get to keep it tongue.gif

yeah there would probably be a vicious fight ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 3 2008, 07:28 PM
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 3 2008, 06:33 AM) *
I see a problem in future - that on everything, anyone asks, there will be a straight answer - "We discussed it X days/weeks/years ago, check this link":-D

I am not picking on you Marcus in anyway;) I just imagined a future in say 2 years :-D

Btw. can scalloping by done DYI? or do you have to send it to some guitar master/maker(class)? (EDIT: I just red the link, no need to answer:-D)

Oh... now I got an idea... Guitar maker class.. What about Guitar making collaboration?:-D To send a piece of wood from one participant to another, paint it, customize it, vanhalenzie it, dahl it, denisjuk it etc etc. and then put it on Ebay, and from the money we will get, we can buy ourselves a JEM's :-D

He said sell it on ebay and buy JEMs, I'm assuming the people that made it would split up the money.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:08 AM