Cael's Ideas Library
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 15 2015, 04:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello GMC, and welcome to my little "ideas corner". I have long been wanting to create a library of ideas on my computer, but I have not really been able to find the right motivation or initiative to get going with it, but then a thought occured to me: Why not do this on GMC? So here it is! A thread which will hopefully be full of all of the ideas that I come up with - all sorted and described!

I'd love to hear feedback from you on all of these ideas; what you like about them, how you could imagine them develop into another part, if you think two ideas might fit together well (cause I might miss that entirely!). All thoughts and comments are welcome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progressive metal ideas:

A Progressive Metal groove in 11/8 - 15/8 - 11/8 - 16/8.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/11-15-11-16-over-8

Time signature changes: ||: 11/8 | 15/8 | 11/8 | 16/8 :||
Tempo: 180 BPM
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  11_15_11_16_over_8.gp5 ( 3.29K ) Number of downloads: 141

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Djent ideas:

A riff utilizing octaves and bends.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/octave-bend-riff

Time signature changes: ||: 4/4 | 4/4 | 4/4 | 3/4 | 4/4 | 4/4 | 4/4 | 7/8 :||
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  Octave_Bend_Riff.gp5 ( 4.27K ) Number of downloads: 143

Yet Another Djent Riff

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/yet-another-djent-riff

A simpler djenty riff in 4/4.

Time signature: 4/4
Tempo: 140 BPM
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  Yet_Another_Djent_Riff.gp5 ( 3.11K ) Number of downloads: 140

9/8 times 3 plus 6/8

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/9-8-times-3-plus-6-8

A constant flow of 8th notes in a 9/8 | 9/8 | 9/8 | 6|8.

Time Signature Changes: ||: 9/8 | 9/8 | 9/8 | 6/8 :||
Tempo: 150 BPM
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  9_8_times_3_plus_6_8.gp5 ( 3.05K ) Number of downloads: 127

12-8 Times 3 Plus 18-8

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/12-8-times-3-plus-18-8

A constant flow of 8th notes in 12/8 | 12/8 | 12/8 | 18/8.

Time signature changes: ||: 12/8 | 12/8 | 12/8 | 18/8 :||
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  12_8_times_3_plus_18_8.gp5 ( 3.79K ) Number of downloads: 145

Acoustic ideas:

An intro idea switching between 6/8 and 7/8 in A harmonic minor.

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/6-8-7-8-intro-in-a-harmonic-minor

Time signature changes: ||: 6/8 | 7/8 :||
Tempo: 60 BPM
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  6_8_7_8_Intro_in_A_Harmonic_Minor.gp5 ( 2.74K ) Number of downloads: 139

6/8 and 9/8

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/3-4-and-9-8

Acoustic intro like idea in 6/8 and 9/8.

Time signature changes ||: 6/8 | 9/8 :||
Tempo: 120 BPM
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  6_8_and_9_8.gp5 ( 4.58K ) Number of downloads: 138

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 16 2015, 11:50 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 15 2015, 05:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
New idea added:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/octave-bend-riff

Guitar Pro file: Attached File  Octave_Bend_Riff.gp5 ( 4.27K ) Number of downloads: 119

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 15 2015, 05:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 15 2015, 06:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
New idea added:

9/8 times 3 plus 6/8

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/9-8-times-3-plus-6-8

A constant flow of 8th notes in a 9/8 | 9/8 | 9/8 | 6|8.

Time Signature Changes: ||: 9/8 | 9/8 | 9/8 | 6/8 :||
Guitar Pro File: Attached File  9_8_times_3_plus_6_8.gp5 ( 3.05K ) Number of downloads: 123

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 15 2015, 11:42 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 15 2015, 11:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
Something similar to the above, but a bit different:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/12-8-times-3-plus-18-8

A constant flow of 8th notes in 12/8 | 12/8 | 12/8 | 18/8.

Time signature changes: ||: 12/8 | 12/8 | 12/8 | 18/8 :||

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2015, 09:06 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great idea for a thread Cael! smile.gif

Your riffing ideas sound cool to me but what mostly captured my attention on a first listen was this acoustic idea:

I think you should develop it more into a full song as it is a great base to work on.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2015, 09:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 16 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Great idea for a thread Cael! smile.gif

Your riffing ideas sound cool to me but what mostly captured my attention on a first listen was this acoustic idea:

I think you should develop it more into a full song as it is a great base to work on.

Thanks for the comment, Bogdan. I appreciate it a lot smile.gif

I will try and work on it! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 16 2015, 10:59 PM
GMC Founder
Lots of cool ideas here!

Do we have any aspiring singers who want to step in? cool.gif

I know you have written a lot of riffs but never really completed a song.

I think best would be if you could start testing these ideas with vocals, I think that would take you forward as you would quickly see what works and what doesn't etc.

For songwriting practicing purposes - you might want to write something without vocals. Just so that you can start working on putting pieces together into a song.

You are very "lucky" to be able to play great lead lines - so another option is to work on an instrumental. And when doing so, the idea is not to write a riff the typical way you would do it (whatever that is..!) But instead go for a long walk and try to picture how the song/lead should sound, before you get working on the riffs/chords.

If you do it this way, you should be able to give yourself a head start and maybe get a verse-chorus thing happening before you get stuck (haha that's where I always get stuck at least). And if you do get stuck there, you already have a library of cool riffs to try.

Let me know if this makes sense? I am pretty sure you have what it takes to write a song, so don't get stuck on details. Instead try to experiment with completely different mindsets and approaches.

You probably already have those song ideas in you, just need to find a way to grab them. I am trying to say that if all the ways you can think of to 'get there' feel hard and time consuming - then you probably just haven't found the right way. Because in your case I believe there is an easy way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 16 2015, 11:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 16 2015, 10:59 PM) *
Lots of cool ideas here!

Do we have any aspiring singers who want to step in? cool.gif

I know you have written a lot of riffs but never really completed a song.

I think best would be if you could start testing these ideas with vocals, I think that would take you forward as you would quickly see what works and what doesn't etc.

For songwriting practicing purposes - you might want to write something without vocals. Just so that you can start working on putting pieces together into a song.

You are very "lucky" to be able to play great lead lines - so another option is to work on an instrumental. And when doing so, the idea is not to write a riff the typical way you would do it (whatever that is..!) But instead go for a long walk and try to picture how the song/lead should sound, before you get working on the riffs/chords.

If you do it this way, you should be able to give yourself a head start and maybe get a verse-chorus thing happening before you get stuck (haha that's where I always get stuck at least). And if you do get stuck there, you already have a library of cool riffs to try.

Let me know if this makes sense? I am pretty sure you have what it takes to write a song, so don't get stuck on details. Instead try to experiment with completely different mindsets and approaches.

You probably already have those song ideas in you, just need to find a way to grab them. I am trying to say that if all the ways you can think of to 'get there' feel hard and time consuming - then you probably just haven't found the right way. Because in your case I believe there is an easy way.

Thank you, Kris smile.gif Means a lot!

I don't have any singers at the ready, I don't think.

The struggle is indeed finding a way to get full songs out for me. One of my main problems is also that I generally either think something isn't good enough, or that it doesn't fit well enough within the context of whatever comes before or after. It feels like I'm glueing together pieces that don't fit or desperately putting pieces of a jigsaw puzzle together with pieces that don't fit. Maybe I'm just a bit too much of a perfectionist when it comes to these things. I experimented a bit, but haven't had time to record it as I'm off to bed soon (need to get up early tomorrow):

Attached File  6_8_and_9_8_developed_further.gp5 ( 20.03K ) Number of downloads: 122

But as said, it feels like I'm cramming pieces together that doesn't fit. To my ear at least.

As for vocals - don't even get me started on writing lyrics. I haven't done that in ages. I know a vocal melody could just be gibberish or have place holder lyrics to begin with, but I'm still struggling with the idea. I have however started working on some lyrics, but I kinda get stuck after 4 to 8 lines. laugh.gif I do however feel that it would be easier if I had a set of lyrics to write a song around, if that makes sense. Some people do it the other way around though; write the music first, then the lyrics.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 16 2015, 11:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 17 2015, 01:04 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 16 2015, 11:42 PM) *
Attached File  6_8_and_9_8_developed_further.gp5 ( 20.03K ) Number of downloads: 122

But as said, it feels like I'm cramming pieces together that doesn't fit. To my ear at least.

To me there is potential in this gp5 idea as well.

However my point is that you need to find a context where you can regularly work on putting together songs.

You can obviously get feedback from others on your ideas - but what would be really useful for you would be to start putting together finished "products". Not because the first ones will change the world, but because for every finished track you will gain so much experience which you can't get if you're constantly stuck perfecting.

I still think best would be if you could see yourself as two persons: A songwriter / producer, and then a lead guitarist.

This way you could put together a verse/chorus thing, and hand over to your other [guitarist] self and see if the material works (ie can you come up with a lead melody?), and then provide feedback back to your producer self.

This might sound crazy but it's how I work when I do everything by myself.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 16 2015, 11:42 PM) *
As for vocals - don't even get me started on writing lyrics. I haven't done that in ages. I know a vocal melody could just be gibberish or have place holder lyrics to begin with, but I'm still struggling with the idea. I have however started working on some lyrics, but I kinda get stuck after 4 to 8 lines. laugh.gif I do however feel that it would be easier if I had a set of lyrics to write a song around, if that makes sense. Some people do it the other way around though; write the music first, then the lyrics.

For lyrics, I can recommend searching for public domain poetry, there is an incredible amount of good free stuff out there.

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Feb 17 2015, 03:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 17 2015, 03:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 17 2015, 01:04 PM) *
To me there is potential in this gp5 idea as well.

However my point is that you need to find a context where you can regularly work on putting together songs.

You can obviously get feedback from others on your ideas - but what would be really useful for you would be to start putting together finished "products". Not because the first ones will change the world, but because for every finished track you will gain so much experience which you can't get if you're constantly stuck perfecting.

I still think best would be if you could see yourself as two persons: A songwriter / producer, and then a lead guitarist.

This way you could put together a verse/chorus thing, and hand over to your other [guitarist] self see if it works (can you come up with a lead melody?), and then provide feedback back to your producer self.

This might sound crazy but it's how I work when I do everything by myself.

For lyrics, I can recommend searching for public domain poetry, there is an incredible amount of good free stuff out there.

The reason I created this thread, was to motivate myself and keep some momentum going, and hopefully at some point put together a full song. When I don't save my riffs I tend to forget about them pretty quickly, and just having a folder on my computer with the ideas didn't seem to work either, but making this thread seems to have done the trick. I get something recorded, even if it's just small snippets and I save my ideas. smile.gif I don't know if this will be the context in which I find my way of writing full songs. We'll see!

I think a lot of it is in the mind. The struggle, that is. Well, the solution is probably in there somewhere as well.

The way I generally work is to sit down with the guitar and try and come up with something on the guitar, write it down in GP5 or 6, then try and write some drums. I used to be able to get all sorts of ideas in my head while not having the guitar with me, but they don't seem to flow as natural anymore as when I was an angsty teenager laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2015, 07:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Cael! Great to find your Ideas Public Library! I've heard your stuff thanks to the work at Gab's Army and I always said that your ideas are top level and that you need to try using structure "templates" to be able to finish your songs. I also think that Kris has added to the discussion a very important point to start completing your ideas and it's the fact of creating lead melodies, with a voice or an instrument. A song needs that melodic stuff to be heard as a song and not as a combination of riffs. I can suspect that being able to create chorus melodies as well as verse melodies can be excuses to find the way to create that parts that your songs are lacking to be completed.

When I create melodies I usually prefer to use my voice to avoid be limited bu scale shapes, or frequent patterns that I play on guitar. If it's an instrumental song, I instantly transpose the melody to my guitar and record it, if not, I record my voice saying a combination of words and sounds that has no sense. I prefer to work on lyrics later, unless I have a strong idea in mind.

Based on this ideas, a good idea would be to make this two tasks:

- Start recording "chorus" style ideas, that have melodic stuff and interesting chord changes.
- Start creating and recording melodies for the ideas that you already shared here.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
bleez
Feb 17 2015, 10:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
aw man, thats some fantastic riffage! I dont really listen to djent stuff all that much tbh but the riffs you have based off that 'octave bend riff' are killer! Also the acoustic ideas are really cool. they have that kinda darkish vibe that I really like.
I hope you develop these more, dude. they totally deserve it smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 17 2015, 10:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 17 2015, 06:39 PM) *
aw man, thats some fantastic riffage! I dont really listen to djent stuff all that much tbh but the riffs you have based off that 'octave bend riff' are killer! Also the acoustic ideas are really cool. they have that kinda darkish vibe that I really like.

I can imagine a killer song collab featuring Bleez and Cael... . rolleyes.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 18 2015, 03:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 17 2015, 07:13 PM) *
Hi Cael! Great to find your Ideas Public Library! I've heard your stuff thanks to the work at Gab's Army and I always said that your ideas are top level and that you need to try using structure "templates" to be able to finish your songs. I also think that Kris has added to the discussion a very important point to start completing your ideas and it's the fact of creating lead melodies, with a voice or an instrument. A song needs that melodic stuff to be heard as a song and not as a combination of riffs. I can suspect that being able to create chorus melodies as well as verse melodies can be excuses to find the way to create that parts that your songs are lacking to be completed.

When I create melodies I usually prefer to use my voice to avoid be limited bu scale shapes, or frequent patterns that I play on guitar. If it's an instrumental song, I instantly transpose the melody to my guitar and record it, if not, I record my voice saying a combination of words and sounds that has no sense. I prefer to work on lyrics later, unless I have a strong idea in mind.

Based on this ideas, a good idea would be to make this two tasks:

- Start recording "chorus" style ideas, that have melodic stuff and interesting chord changes.
- Start creating and recording melodies for the ideas that you already shared here.

What do you think?

Hey Gabriel! Thanks for the reply smile.gif

I will try working a bit on chorus ideas and melody lines for sure. Thanks for the advice! I've already got something in mind, only problem is that I can't sing (especially not at the moment, as I have a cold).

QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 17 2015, 10:39 PM) *

Thanks for the comment, Bleez! Gives me motivation to work even harder smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 26 2015, 06:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've recorded my first real song! Though it's still very rough and not mixed at all or anything. And it's not especially tight either, but it's a song and it's a step in the right direction I suppose!

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/unmixed-rough-and-untight-canto-i

If anyone can do vocals, let me know! Cause I can't sing, that's for damn sure!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jun 22 2015, 01:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's another small idea I came up with. Where do you guys see this going after this?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 22 2015, 03:07 PM
Instructor
I would get back to the first seconds of the track to then explode into an ultra aggressive riff breakdown there.... what do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 2 2015, 09:30 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here's another small idea I came up with on the low strings of my 8 string:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/new-riff

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 9 2016, 08:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just sharing a new riff, cause Todd told me to do so smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 11 2016, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
Glad you shared this!!! How cool is this lick you guys? I think it's very spiff. It's soooo different from anything I might write. Well done Ben!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 9 2016, 03:50 PM) *
Just sharing a new riff, cause Todd told me to do so smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:35 PM