> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 49 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2016, 03:47 AM
Instructor
Interesting stuff Phil! I'll be back with news.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 17 2016, 11:25 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I hope it makes sense. I would still get it done a quickly as possible, it just allows life through the door. If we crack this, you will have an alternative system for people with chaotic lives who struggle to meet deadlines wink.gif

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 17 2016, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, I think that this program could be good for you as you've designed it so I'd like to invite you to work exactly on an assignment with the structure that you've shared:

Learn the rhythm part of "Rock Song" up to chorus. (3 hours)

Learn the solo of "Rock Song" (or part of it if it's long) (3 hours)

Learn first part of GMC lesson up to 0:30 (3 hours)

And see what happens. Do you have any suggestion on the rock song and lesson?

Here is mine:

Song: AC/DC Highway to Hell

Lesson: (Any of these)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweet_Melody/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-Clark-Jr-Style/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 17 2016, 02:41 PM
Thanks Gab

I'll try Highway To Hell but I have to tell you I tried it many years ago and struggled because the rhythm is tricky for me because the rhythm guitar doesn't sit on a beat.

I'll check it the other stuff tonight.

Given your experience as an instructor do you think this is a viable method for people like me? I hope it is and you can use it with other students.

Cheers

Phil smile.gif

Update.

Been listening to Highway To Hell on loop in my car tonight. I can sing the rhythm part in time but when I try to play it I'm all over the place. I find a lot of AC/DC to be like that. I don't know the technical term for it but many of Angus's rhythm beats don't land on a drum beat.

Haven't decided on a GMC lesson yet. Will do tonight.

Cheers mate

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 18 2016, 06:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2016, 06:23 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, the only thing that I'm not sure is the amount of 3 hours. I think that maybe is not enough time to note progress, but let's see.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 18 2016, 06:37 PM
Hello Gab,

I edited my last post at the same time as you was reading and replying to it so, you may not have read the update. Please check.

Regarding the 3 hours, that was a none specific random number. We can do however long you think is best.

Cheers mate.

Phil smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2016, 07:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 18 2016, 02:37 PM) *
Hello Gab,

I edited my last post at the same time as you was reading and replying to it so, you may not have read the update. Please check.

Regarding the 3 hours, that was a none specific random number. We can do however long you think is best.

Cheers mate.

Phil smile.gif

Yeah, Angus usually plays upbeat. It's a good exercise to practice it. You can practicing singing over a metronome upbeats. It's like dividing the beat in 2 (8th notes) and sing the pair eight notes.

About the time, I think that around 6. It would be normally around 6 / 10 days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 18 2016, 08:11 PM
Thanks Gab,

I usually split the assignment into 3 parts at 30 minutes each so over ten consecutive days that would be 5 hours each so, 6 hours will be fine. We can adjust as we go along.

I will post a video as and when I cover 6 hours for the parts. If I am struggling with anything I will post an interim video for additional help if that's ok.

The only thing I can see with this system is a possible lack of focus. It's a hard balance to get the amount of pressure right, it's feast or famine, but that is down to me, I will kick my own ass if I start to slack and allow distractions other than collabs, bootcamp etc. These need to be done I think. But please don't hesitate to give me a nudge once in a while if you feel I need it wink.gif

The GMC lesson I've chosen is this one https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Gary-Clark-Jr-Style/# . The reason I've gone for the lower level one is not because I am scared of pushing myself but at the moment I need a bit of a confidence boost and hopefully I will feel as though I am achieving something if I go with this one. I would like to keep the other one on the back burner though wink.gif

Time to learn how to finger some new chords for that Highway To Hell, that D/F# looks tricky smile.gif

I'll be using version 5 in Tab Pro http://plus.ultimate-guitar.com/a/acdc/hig...line.html#80f72

Thanks for everything Gab, you da man cool.gif

UPDATE 19th October 2016:
Only manage one hour free time tonight.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 19 2016, 10:02 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2016, 09:40 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, this sounds good, let's experiment and see what happens.

In the meantime I'd like to say that you are learning and getting better. Be sure of that. We change methods, assignments, try different things but I can see you progressing. So enjoy and relax!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 20 2016, 08:20 PM
Thanks Gab,

Smiles all around for me smile.gif

I do feel much more relaxed not having a deadline but I don't want to get too relaxed wink.gif One thing I have realised, which I kinda knew but not how much, is, the hour you get in your practise room is nowhere near an hour on the fretboard. Booting computer up, getting into GMC, tuning up, recording, changing guitars, finding help on YouTube, man does that eat into your time. I knew it did but I didn't know exactly how much until I started logging my time. 90 minutes is probably more like 75 or less.

Anyway, I had to record this for you, I know the part going into the chorus isn't right but that is where guitar 1 stops and guitar 2 comes in so I need to sort out the transition for one guitar. I know the timing is off here and there but it seems better when the drums are going, I didn't expect that, I expected the drums to put me off as they did the last time I tried it many moons ago.

Guitar was a little out of tune. I tuned it up, practised for a while and then recorded, the GOOD thing is, I actually noticed it was out of tune (about 10 cents down on low E and D) which means my ears are getting better. I didn't re-record because of time. I'm panned hard left.

Attached File  HTH_Take_1_to_chorus.mp3 ( 2.19MB ) Number of downloads: 68

No practise tomorrow, off to see Bad Company so I'll get to hear Rock Steady live, I wonder if they'll let me have a go cool.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 21 2016, 08:04 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 21 2016, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Awesome Phil! You can keep the rhythm over the original song! Congrats on your great job! smile.gif

The next step would be to see if there is a backing track version of the song. In that case, you could play it without the guitar reference.

Enjoy the concert!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 21 2016, 06:28 PM
Thanks mate.

Richie Sam bora and Orianthi for support smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2016, 07:47 AM
Instructor
Nice duet / couple!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 22 2016, 09:16 PM
Thanks Gab,

It was a brilliant gig. See HERE

I've found a backing but had a struggle with Reaper, see HERE This took a whole chunk out of my practise time.

I tried to play without "Angus", it was pretty tricky and I kept on losing my way. This is why I need to sort out what is in the thread linked above, so I can analyse myself. Here is the track. I used Angus to help get me going with the intro then faded him out when the drums come in and went along on my own. It's hard with a track like this with a solo rhythm guitar intro to know when to start playing to match the drums coming in. I guess on stage, Angus plays and the drummer starts on his own cue.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/hth-take-1-to-chorus-no-reference-guitar-after-start

I searched for some decent instruction videos on the Highway To Hell solo. This took a fair chunk of time too.

Used what little time I had left to practice the GCJr lesson.

My notes are below. If you would rather not see these I can leave them out but it is a comprehensive cut down of my practise time in case you don't have time to read my posts thoroughly wink.gif At least you can see how my days go. They only take a couple of minutes to do and you can click on them if you want to open them in Photobucket.

Now I've done a bit of ground work I should get a better practise time in tomorrow.

Cheers Gab.

UPDATE:

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 23 2016, 07:48 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2016, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Exciting stuff! I can hear that the song is very close! There is still room to make it sound tighter but I'm amazed of how connected you can go with the backing track. I think that it's just more practice and focus trying to be more precise. Remember using your head and foot to follow the beat, and close your eyes if it's necesary. The required adjustment is very slight but it's very important to take your playing to the next level, in other words, to make it sound "professional".

The table routines are awesome. It's really helpful to have your guitar plan clear and structured. I think that it will make you use your practice time wisely.

I'll check the other two threads when I'm back from my singing class. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 24 2016, 09:14 PM
Thanks Gab,

Your comments cheered me up, thank you.

The tables I post aren't exactly routines, more a diary of what happened that night so that you can see how I am doing with accurate times rather than me just saying "I had 90 minutes" because 90 minutes in my practise room doesn't equate to 90 minutes of playing and doing the tables is really showing me exactly how much time I get on the guitar. There are sometimes questions in them too.

Anyway, I recorded the intro of the Gary Clarke Junior lesson tonight. I struggled playing it on my own at first because I kept going wrong when the drums started but I got that sorted out.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/take-1-intro

Here is my diary table.

UPDATE 25th October 2016:

Very tight for time tonight. I have made some improvements though, (see diary table).

I was reading through Yoncopin's thread during my lunch at work, he has inspired me to be more patient. Hopefully it will last wink.gif I also think he had a very good point in THIS post about having a maximum time. It can be disheartening for us students if we spend forever and a day trying to get something right that is out of our current reach. It doesn't apply to me at the moment but it is a good point.

Diary table for this evening.

Cheers Gab

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 25 2016, 09:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 26 2016, 01:16 AM
Instructor
Yeah, the more I work with student, the more I notice that each one is a different world so we keep on polishing the plans for each. On the other hand, there is a student who said that it was frustrating for him to give up a lesson without mastering it, and passing at REC. biggrin.gif

Your take on Gary Clarke's tune is sounding good man! That intro is VERY close. Keep going!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2016, 09:07 PM
Thanks Gab,

Making me happy all around with your comments about me being "very close" biggrin.gif

New format for my lesson report. Hopefully you can advise me on time allocations etc. I've already noticed I am spending more time on my favourite two parts and not so much on the more difficult (AC/DC Solo) when I guess it should be the other way around. I would never have noticed this before I started logging it wink.gif

Practise session in order it was done. Not much time as usual on a Wednesday. Any questions regarding my practise are bold, red and underlined for quick reference, if you are short on time you can jump straight to them wink.gif

No time to record tonight.

GC Jr : 20 minutes (Total time 145).
Learning remaining bars. This is like a fretboard tongue twister. My fingers keep wanting to do the previous similar lick. ohmy.gif) I think I will get a full recording to you by the weekend and a video sometime over the weekend.

AC/DC rhythm: 15 minutes (Total time 135).
Played along with studio track to polish it up a bit. Just played the A chord to the syllables (high-way-to-hell) during the chorus so I could practice coming back into the verse afterwards. Tricky smile.gif Struggling to come back in with the rhythm after the chorus. Practise practise practise.

AC/DC solo: 15 minutes (Total time 125).
Not too bad tonight but still thinking the solos in these classic rock songs are above my level at the moment and that maybe improvising would be better. It's not so much learning the notes but the phrasing that seems so advanced to me. What do you think? smile.gif

Cheers Gab.

P.S Did you get to use those plugins in your shared folder on my OneDrive account?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 26 2016, 09:43 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 27 2016, 12:16 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Thanks for the update.

I think that your work looks good. We tend to practice more the things those things that we enjoy playing, and in most cases, these are the parts that we find easier, or more familiar. That's normal, and i's not bad if you dedicate diary time to the weaker stuff as well.

About the solo, it's not a problem if you decide to go for an improvisation or a variation of your own. You'll have time to play the exact thing, but notice that neither Angus plays the same solo over and over. It would be boring.

I've not tried the plug ins yet, but I have them in my computer waiting for their time. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 27 2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks Gab,

I am enjoying this. It's great being able to log my times spent on each part without panicking that I'm not going to meet the deadline due to that little old thing called "life" wink.gif

AC/DC rhythm: 15 minutes (Total time 150).
Learning the chorus chords now. Struggling to come in on time with the verse after the chorus so hopefully it will get better if I learn the chorus. Question about key and tuning. When I looked at the tab I saw that the first chord was A and it matched what I know as an A open chord BUT, at the top of the TAB page it says that the tuning is a half step down which would make that an Ab. I've been playing along in standard tuning but my ears aren't trained enough to notice if I am wrong or not yet. Also what key is the song in? I'm guessing A if the tuning note is incorrect but the first notes of the solo are straight from A minor pentatonic and the first chord is A major (or possibly Ab). Confused blink.gif wacko.gif I've search the internet and there are many conflicting opinions rolleyes.gif

AC/DC solo: 15 minutes (Total time 140).
Improvised all the way through the multiple chorus to the end just for practise, fun and experience, trying to do little fills like the original too. Wondering about the key, (see above) smile.gif

GC Jr : 15 minutes (Total time 160).
Still learning the final bars. Nearly there now.

Should I only post updates when there is a question or a recording or would you rather monitor my practise daily? It makes no difference to me, I'll do what ever you prefer. It doesn't take any practise time away because I do them on my tablet while I'm sitting downstairs for an hour or two with my wife, so either way is fine for me wink.gif

Cheers buddy.

UPDATE 28th October 2016:

I was seriously short on time this evening so I had a go at the Sunday Shred Fest Challenge which is something I want to do each week if possible anyway. So I didn't do any of my assignment. Sorry Gab but this was still very very enjoyable. If you want to check it out you can see it HERE,

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 28 2016, 09:22 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 45 46 47 48 49 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:06 AM