Out Of Date Food !
Ben Higgins
Jan 10 2012, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I was just eating a chicken and mushroom slice and started thinking - how many of you eat food even though it's 'out of date' ? What's the most out of date food you've eaten ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
jstcrsn
Jan 10 2012, 05:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
was eating salad at my in-laws a few weeks back and read the ranch dressing was 2 years out of date
but I choked it down, it didn't taste bad, but after I realized that , it was hard to swallow(literally)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 10 2012, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
At a pub where I used to be the Bar Manager, we were cleaning out the Cellar after a Flood and found a couple of old crates of Lager that were about 10 years or so past their Sell By date!! We opened a couple and tried them and found that it had re-fermented in the bottles! It poured like syrup, tasted a bit like Barley Wine and was about 5 x stronger than it should have been!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 10 2012, 09:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 10 2012, 04:54 PM) *
was eating salad at my in-laws a few weeks back and read the ranch dressing was 2 years out of date
but I choked it down, it didn't taste bad, but after I realized that , it was hard to swallow(literally)

Ah man, I bet that ruined it a bit ! wink.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 10 2012, 05:17 PM) *
At a pub where I used to be the Bar Manager, we were cleaning out the Cellar after a Flood and found a couple of old crates of Lager that were about 10 years or so past their Sell By date!! We opened a couple and tried them and found that it had re-fermented in the bottles! It poured like syrup, tasted a bit like Barley Wine and was about 5 x stronger than it should have been!!!

HAHAHA.. and of course you didn't just look at it and think 'You know what, we won't drink that..'. You didn't do the sensible thing and pour it away..... ooooooh nooooo laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2012, 10:31 PM
Instructor
Hmm, not sure, I think it was some chocolate sweets or something, I'm weak on those biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Jan 11 2012, 05:30 AM
GMC:er
once in a birthday i drank a champagne that no one wanted to open because it has a brown color. ...I did it and drank it....all the bottle.... it wasn´t THAT bad

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2012, 10:10 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
In my less fortunate days, in the 80's, I was hungry and could finally after the longest time on zero $ afford a pizza. Picked it up and on the way to the apartment,we had snow, I accidently dropped the pizza box and the pizza fell out and landed on a yellow spot in the snow. Damn dogs! It was a slope so it folded in half and when it came to a stop it was laying right beside the yellow spot.

That pizza became outdated that very second.

I debated with myself how much damage it took, after all it folded and never got enough time to sponge any of the yellow liquid. And I was really hungry and my wallet was empty again so I put it back into the box and then enjoyed a gorgeous meal in my apartment. I didn't taste any different.

mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2012, 10:58 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 11 2012, 09:10 AM) *
In my less fortunate days, in the 80's, I was hungry and could finally after the longest time on zero $ afford a pizza. Picked it up and on the way to the apartment,we had snow, I accidently dropped the pizza box and the pizza fell out and landed on a yellow spot in the snow. Damn dogs! It was a slope so it folded in half and when it came to a stop it was laying right beside the yellow spot.

That pizza became outdated that very second.

I debated with myself how much damage it took, after all it folded and never got enough time to sponge any of the yellow liquid. And I was really hungry and my wallet was empty again so I put it back into the box and then enjoyed a gorgeous meal in my apartment. I didn't taste any different.

mellow.gif

Man, I can relate to that ! laugh.gif

I did a gig recently and I got a 12" steak and cheese sandwich from Subway... as soon as I started eating it dropped out of the paper wrapper and onto the pavement.. sad.gif

However, I did a damage assessment, picked up the pieces of meat and salad that I thought 'might be ok' and put them back in the bread and ate it ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 11 2012, 11:21 AM
Instructor
Well, let's say that there's a place here biggrin.gif in the north, built by one of our most revered medieval rulers - Steven The Great (15th century) who built a big network of cellars which are currently used to store wine. They are famous in my country. You can go there and taste some wine, dating from his age smile.gif it's more like wine jam, but this 'outdated' beverage can get you STONE DRUNK from ONE SPOON (you eat it like a jam, it can't be poured anymore) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2012, 11:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 11 2012, 10:21 AM) *
Well, let's say that there's a place here biggrin.gif in the north, built by one of our most revered medieval rulers - Steven The Great (15th century) who built a big network of cellars which are currently used to store wine. They are famous in my country. You can go there and taste some wine, dating from his age smile.gif it's more like wine jam, but this 'outdated' beverage can get you STONE DRUNK from ONE SPOON (you eat it like a jam, it can't be poured anymore) laugh.gif

Wow, that is madness ! But a cool kind of madness ! wink.gif

I'd love to see some of the old castles of Romania smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 11 2012, 12:09 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 10 2012, 05:17 PM) *

Friend of mine once tried to drink from a bottle of Baileys he found that was a couple of years out of date. He spat it out very quickly laugh.gif .

IME Sell By and Use By dates in England are way off the mark Ben. I think a lot of people are too cautious because of this and so a lot of perfectly good food is thrown away. (Can't remember the actual figure but I think the UK sends 100s of tonnes of good food to land fil every year.)

When I was a kid my mum inisisted that I learnt how to tell if food was fresh from its appearance and smell rather than what it says on a label. We can't follow the labels here anyway as most of our food we either grow ourselves or get/buy from neighbours and the last I looked the spinach we picked this morning didn't have any use by labels on it wink.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2012, 01:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 11 2012, 11:09 AM) *
Friend of mine once tried to drink from a bottle of Baileys he found that was a couple of years out of date. He spat it out very quickly laugh.gif .

IME Sell By and Use By dates in England are way off the mark Ben. I think a lot of people are too cautious because of this and so a lot of perfectly good food is thrown away. (Can't remember the actual figure but I think the UK sends 100s of tonnes of good food to land fil every year.)

When I was a kid my mum inisisted that I learnt how to tell if food was fresh from its appearance and smell rather than what it says on a label. We can't follow the labels here anyway as most of our food we either grow ourselves or get/buy from neighbours and the last I looked the spinach we picked this morning didn't have any use by labels on it wink.gif .

Yeah you're definitely at an advantage if you just hone your natural skills.. I can totally imagine that the sell by dates are exagerated as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2012, 01:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 11 2012, 12:09 PM) *
We can't follow the labels here anyway

Who can? It's a mix of yymmdd ddmmyy mmddyy and mmyydd and for anything inbetween 01 through 12 is impossible to interpret. Only safe bet is when the stamp contains the same figures for all, like "best before" 12-12-12. That happens way too seldom laugh.gif

Above post is best read before 13-13-13 huh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 11 2012, 01:34 PM
Instructor
Haha, wine jam huh.gif that sounds interesting laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 11 2012, 02:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 10 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Hey Guys, I was just eating a chicken and mushroom slice and started thinking - how many of you eat food even though it's 'out of date' ? What's the most out of date food you've eaten ?

This reminds me of a very bad experience I had. A few years ago, I bought 2 chocolate milks, both of them out of date (I didn't check). So, I put a movie (I remember, it was 'For a Few Dollars More"), and drank one package (0,5 liters), then went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I felt so sick and the entire room was rotating around me. I could barely stand up, and I had no idea why that was happening.

Then, ironically, I made myself a breakfast and DRANK THE SECOND PACKAGE of 0,5 l. blink.gif
I won't go into details what happened next but in the end I went to the store where I bought these out-of-date milk packages and they offered to give me 2 more for free?

The irony biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2012, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jan 11 2012, 01:05 PM) *
This reminds me of a very bad experience I had. A few years ago, I bought 2 chocolate milks, both of them out of date (I didn't check). So, I put a movie (I remember, it was 'For a Few Dollars More"), and drank one package (0,5 liters), then went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I felt so sick and the entire room was rotating around me. I could barely stand up, and I had no idea why that was happening.

Then, ironically, I made myself a breakfast and DRANK THE SECOND PACKAGE of 0,5 l. blink.gif
I won't go into details what happened next but in the end I went to the store where I bought these out-of-date milk packages and they offered to give me 2 more for free?

The irony biggrin.gif

Beware Chocolate Milk !! ohmy.gif

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 11 2012, 04:50 PM
Learning Roadie
I can see what MickeM means. But at Walmart we are forced to go by the dates. We have to throw things out. There was some yogurt out of date by weeks. Nobody had caught it...shame... (I was one of the many guilty). Our store manager cleaned out and threw out 50+ yogurts that were out of date. Basically, we didn't zone correctly and rotate the items, but just pushed things backwards. That wasn't me that did that, but he was saying that somebody should have caught that. He was right. Ever since then, I always check dates. wink.gif Nobody really got in trouble since it was a whole lot of people's fault - all the cashiers zone foods. But yeah, definitely a thing to watch out for. We can't sell it if it's not at its freshest. smile.gif

Just thought of something....

Ever took a bit into a piece of moldy bread?? AAAHKKKKK!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:28 PM