3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Kris & Marcus Ballad, Finished! :D
muntahunta
Nov 21 2007, 06:19 PM
Learning Roadie
...............OH MY GOD!!!

ive just finished re-recording the first song i wrote and i thought i'd done a good job mixing/recording/playing it... but as i finished i come on here to look for mixing tips and found this...

... ive been totally shot down!
this is amazing.

and yea, the first few words i thought you hired james hetfield tongue.gif

how did you get the singing to sound so good? thats the worst part of my mixing at the min and i wish i could figure it out. it sounds so thick and powerful but when i try it sounds... as if the singers got a cold and has no power lol

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeff
Nov 21 2007, 06:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 21 2007, 02:42 AM) *
Wow! Thanks s lot guys! biggrin.gif

I'll be happy to answer any questions about how I mixed this song, and of course other questions as well! smile.gif As you might have read in the blog, we used over 90 tracks (so there's a lot of instruments and overdubs in there) and some cool mixing tricks cool.gif

-Marcus

Your kidding me, 90 tracks! ohmy.gif Wow. What DAW did you use?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 21 2007, 06:38 PM
Get to da Chopper!
This is excellent, you've really excelled here- the three of you!!!

Its truly inspiring- theres a strong vibe of hope with a big thick sheet of melancholy wrapped around it! wacko.gif Sooo atmospherical biggrin.gif
I've set the url to open in my browser at 7am every morning now, (through my computer alarm clock software thingy)... now maybe i have a reason to get up and pay attention first thing in the morning tongue.gif

Thanks soo much for sharing, i cant wait to buy the album cool.gif

PS mad.gif THERE WILL BE AN ALBUM mad.gif

or you will feel my wrath.... dry.gif

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Nov 21 2007, 10:07 PM
wow, your vocals are awesome, i thought it sounded just like James Hetfield's!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 22 2007, 01:15 AM
VERY nice! When is the full song coming?

Just one little thing, the vocals were too crispy/thrashy for my taste(atleast for a ballad), but other than that it was freakin awesome.

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Nov 22 2007, 01:28 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 20 2007, 04:27 PM) *
To botoxfox chast The Uncreator mattacuk Batista fkalich kyldeee....

Thanks!! laugh.gif Your comments and feedback is my one and only inspiration!! biggrin.gif

By the way - in cased anyone missed it, here is our first tune (Historical Failure).

Kris, how do you play that intro riff of Historical Failure, it's so sexy laugh.gif and btw your voice has gotten a whole lot better, I can hardly believe it's you!!!

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 22 2007, 10:32 AM
Instructor
Thanks guys!!

QUOTE (muntahunta @ Nov 21 2007, 06:19 PM) *
how did you get the singing to sound so good? thats the worst part of my mixing at the min and i wish i could figure it out. it sounds so thick and powerful but when i try it sounds... as if the singers got a cold and has no power lol

Kris made many overdubs with the singing, and also recorded lots of different versions - which all are mixed together. This, combined with a lot of compression, gives a thick and powerful sound! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jeff @ Nov 21 2007, 06:23 PM) *
Your kidding me, 90 tracks! ohmy.gif Wow. What DAW did you use?

Yes, my computer could barely handle it!! laugh.gif

I use ProTools with a DIGI002r.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 22 2007, 10:34 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 22 2007, 09:32 AM) *
Thanks guys!!
Kris made many overdubs with the singing, and also recorded lots of different versions - which all are mixed together. This, combined with a lot of compression, gives a thick and powerful sound! biggrin.gif
Yes, my computer could barely handle it!! laugh.gif

I use ProTools with a DIGI002r.

I love your guitar tone too on the track, your lessons always sound great as well, sorry, I`m sure you`ve been asked before but what do you use?

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 22 2007, 10:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 22 2007, 01:15 AM) *
VERY nice! When is the full song coming?

Robin, this is the full song. It's finished! smile.gif You can download it here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/blog/?p=106

QUOTE (Smells @ Nov 22 2007, 10:34 AM) *
I love your guitar tone too on the track, your lessons always sound great as well, sorry, I`m sure you`ve been asked before but what do you use?

Thank you, Smells! smile.gif
I use a PODxt, and the tone is the same as we used in the "You ready-collab". You can download the preset here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=6292

In this song I've made three overdubs for every guitar riff, and panned one track to the left, one to the right, and one in the middle with a little less volume and less treble. I've compressed each track, and also put a compressor that covers all three tracks together.

This post has been edited by lavendell: Nov 22 2007, 10:46 AM

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 22 2007, 10:53 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 22 2007, 09:45 AM) *
Robin, this is the full song. It's finished! smile.gif You can download it here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/blog/?p=106
Thank you, Smells! smile.gif
I use a PODxt, and the tone is the same as we used in the "You ready-collab". You can download the preset here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=6292

In this song I've made three overdubs for every guitar riff, and panned one track to the left, one to the right, and one in the middle with a little less volume and less treble. I've compressed each track, and also put a compressor that covers all three tracks together.

Arr gr8 thanks Marcus! smile.gif I`ve got an XT live coming for christmas, so I`ll save it for then, cheers Chris biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Nov 22 2007, 10:53 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 22 2007, 11:15 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Nov 21 2007, 10:07 PM) *
wow, your vocals are awesome, i thought it sounded just like James Hetfield's!

Thanks Fretdancer and everyone else who sais they see similarities with Metallica - Hetfield is one of my favorite singers so it is fantastic compliment for me! biggrin.gif

I am still overwhelmed by all the positive feedback - thanks so much!!

Oh and you are very wise to ask Marcus about his recording advice, without his expert knowledge on the topic this probably wouldn't have sounded half as cool. If fact I am really curious myself about how he does it!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Nov 22 2007, 01:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Oh and you are very wise to ask Marcus about his recording advice, without his expert knowledge on the topic this probably wouldn't have sounded half as cool. If fact I am really curious myself about how he does it!! biggrin.gif

you should set up a recording studio Marcus tongue.gif
if i got a sound like that i'd be paying top money for it!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 22 2007, 01:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Nov 22 2007, 01:21 PM) *
you should set up a recording studio Marcus tongue.gif
if i got a sound like that i'd be paying top money for it!

That's actually one of my big dreams! biggrin.gif
... and who knows, maybe I will have my own studio some day! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 23 2007, 12:34 AM
Marcus your recordings are always top class. Looking forward to future lessons and stuff and i'd love to know how you get yours sounding so good

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 23 2007, 09:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 23 2007, 12:34 AM) *
Marcus your recordings are always top class. Looking forward to future lessons and stuff and i'd love to know how you get yours sounding so good

Thank you Steve! smile.gif

Is there anything in particular you're wondering about?

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Nov 24 2007, 08:55 AM
great guitarplaying, great vocals. Great riffs!
Somethings missing though to get that complete feeling ín a song.

Probably how the riffs is devided. Perhaps to much focus on chorus. Easy thing to happen because it´s so great.. smile.gif
Interesting how´s there´s no bridge. Hard to say if this affect the song in a negative way. When the solos start the first part if the solo before the fast shredding is a bit low on volume or tone...

The vocals on your old song got to much effects on it, and maby some of things that I mentioned about the ballad.

Just my opinion though =) Great work!!!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 24 2007, 09:23 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the feedback!

Most of the things you mentioned is made deliberately, but it's still great to hear opinions like this.
We'll keep these things in mind for the next song! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
steve25
Nov 27 2007, 01:12 AM
Well one of the things is do you usually record a rhythm part all the way through about 6 times then pan them differently or do you do it in sections and just link up? Also is it just recording and panning with the guitars, nothing else that you do?

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Nov 27 2007, 09:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Nov 27 2007, 01:12 AM) *
do you usually record a rhythm part all the way through about 6 times then pan them differently or do you do it in sections and just link up? Also is it just recording and panning with the guitars, nothing else that you do?

Good question Steve!

I usually just record one phrase or riff at the time, and then simply just copy/paste it everywhere it needs to be. So for example, I just record the first chorus, and for the rest of the choruses I just copy the first one. I know this is really LAZY! laugh.gif but that's the way I normally do it. smile.gif (I don't know... is it cheating??) unsure.gif

For rhythm parts I make three overdubs (record the exact same thing three times) and pan one track to the left, one to the right, and one in the middle. Then I put a lo-cut filter (aka: hi-pass) as well as a compressor on every track. After that I put on a compressor that covers all the guitar tracks.

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 27 2007, 09:17 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (lavendell @ Nov 27 2007, 09:10 AM) *
I usually just record one phrase or riff at the time, and then simply just copy/paste it everywhere it needs to be. So for example, I just record the first chorus, and for the rest of the choruses I just copy the first one. I know this is really LAZY! laugh.gif but that's the way I normally do it. smile.gif (I don't know... is it cheating??) unsure.gif

Hehe well I wouldn't say it is - as the goal when recording these rhythm tracks is to make them so tight so you can't hear any difference at all between verse1 and verse2!

By the way - have you considered switching "pan" sides of the three different rhythm guitars, so that the only thing that differentiates the guitars in verse1 from verse2 is the paning? Again I guess it wouldn't change much but perhaps fool the ear a little? blink.gif

^^ That is just a rhetorical question - for your recordings I wouldn't change anything as it already sounds awesome!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:47 PM