2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Happens When You Strap A Wiimote Onto A Strat?
Scott Gentzen
Oct 17 2008, 02:32 AM
GMC:er
Something wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmuggHx_H5Y

I think so anyway. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm up for it. Probably running the guitar signal through MAX/MSP or pd or something like that and controlling it with the Wiimote.

Saw it on Gizmodo today:
http://gizmodo.com/5063943/wiimote-hacked-...r+based-effects

Update: It's Max/MSP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP62_QKMYaI

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Scott Gentzen: Oct 17 2008, 02:33 AM

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Oct 17 2008, 03:08 AM
thats crazy.... not my type of thing, but im sure it will catch on and some people will be playing with this alot...

just seems like it makes it easier to play guitar, instead of learning to play

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 17 2008, 03:41 AM
Learning Roadie
That's pretty cool. You could easily rig it into your guitar if you had a big enough horn and were willing to drill almost another body cavity (though I think it could be taken apart to make it smaller than the wii remotes size but still motion sensing). And probably can adjust some things to make it more responsive so you don't have to look ridiculous playing it tongue.gif but it could easily be used as another wah/volume/mix kind of pedal, but controlling another effect. Could have interesting applications.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 17 2008, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I'd rather play it the normal way, that sort of thing should stay on guitar hero!!!!

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 17 2008, 09:46 AM
Does nobody want to play a real guitar anymore. I might go and trade all my guitars in for Guitar Hero Plastic Guitars biggrin.gif Although it is bloody good fun at parties when drunk.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 17 2008, 11:25 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I gotta a wii smile.gif But I would never try this smile.gif) I seems to work pretty well smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 17 2008, 03:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
The things one can see in youtube! He must be tired at the end of the concert from lifting the guitar so many times laugh.gif, some cool sounds there though.

Maybe it's the perfect way to practice while playing mario kart though laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 17 2008, 03:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
That's wicked tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 17 2008, 04:36 PM
HAHA did you hear him with his band live? I'll bet Dime or Buckethead or any other Digitech Whammy pedal user could utilize that thing, but the inventor needs some guitar lessons hahahahhaha

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 17 2008, 04:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, this could be doing lots more interesting stuff than pitch shifting.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 17 2008, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 17 2008, 11:49 AM) *
Yeah, this could be doing lots more interesting stuff than pitch shifting.

Exactly!

You can do almost anything once you get it started. Pretty much the only limit in MAX/MSP is your imagination and your patch development skills. You have 4 buttons, a d-pad and an accelerometer at your disposal and you can use any combination of those inputs to make MAX do...things.

I bet you could rig it to control your pedals somehow. Would have to wire in some kind of electronic/MIDI control switch to switch em on and off, but it could work. You could pipe those commands over to Guitar Rig, or send controls over to the Pod or a multi-effects pedal. More practical than dancing on your pedals? Maybe, maybe not. Food for thought though.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 09:50 PM
Instructor
I don't get how he does that? Does he have some special software for wii or something unsure.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2008, 10:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 17 2008, 04:50 PM) *
I don't get how he does that? Does he have some special software for wii or something unsure.gif

I would guess that he hooked the WII controller up to a Digitech Whammy somehow - it seems like it was fairly linear, like up in 1 position and down in another though. Maybe I am doing him a disservice though, maybe he programmed the Wii smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 17 2008, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Oct 17 2008, 05:49 PM) *
I would guess that he hooked the WII controller up to a Digitech Whammy somehow - it seems like it was fairly linear, like up in 1 position and down in another though. Maybe I am doing him a disservice though, maybe he programmed the Wii smile.gif

I'm excited...I have soemthing I can speak to with some authority. Doesn't happen often here considering my guitar skills.

The Wii actually isn't involved here at all. The Wiimote communicates over plain old Bluetooth, so you can have your computer recieve the accelerometer and button data. Keep in mind that the Wiimote's accelerometer detects movement in any direction....if you watch close, the sound change is different when he moves the headstock up and down versus when he lifts the body towards him.

What happens when that data gets into your computer? I'm glad you asked!

The other video mentions that he's using Max/MSP (http://www.cycling74.com/products/max5) which is kind of an audio/video programming environment. You build patches to create and/or manipulate sounds. You see it more in electronic music than with guitar players, but Radiohead use it quite a bit too.

You basically can build the sound manipulation into a patch and then use the data from the Wiimote to change various parameters inside the patch. Looked like he was also switching patches with the Wiimote buttons too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 17 2008, 11:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Ahh, thanks Scott - excellent explanation! (I was way off base then laugh.gif )

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 20 2008, 02:38 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Oct 17 2008, 03:32 AM) *
Something wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmuggHx_H5Y

I think so anyway. Not everyone's cup of tea but I'm up for it. Probably running the guitar signal through MAX/MSP or pd or something like that and controlling it with the Wiimote.

Saw it on Gizmodo today:
http://gizmodo.com/5063943/wiimote-hacked-...r+based-effects

Update: It's Max/MSP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP62_QKMYaI

I didn't like the use of it, but cool effects.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 20 2008, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 17 2008, 03:46 AM) *
Does nobody want to play a real guitar anymore. I might go and trade all my guitars in for Guitar Hero Plastic Guitars biggrin.gif Although it is bloody good fun at parties when drunk.

I will pass. There is an old Taoist story about this kind of thing, let me look it up. Here it is.

TZU-KUNG WENT SOUTH TO CH’U, AND, RETURNING BY way of the state of Chin, he was passing along the south shore of the Han River when he saw a big fellow working in a one-acre held of vegetables. He was climbing down into a pit well with a pitcher, then climbing out and pouring the water on his crop. It looked like he was working himself to the bone without getting much advantage from his efforts.

“There’s a mechanism for this,” Tzu-kung said, “and with it, in a single day you could inundate a hundred acres. It doesn’t take Mach effort, and it yields a great advantage. Wouldn’t you like to have one?”

The gardener rose up and gave him a look. “How’s it work?”

“It’s a machine constructed of wood, heavy at one end, light at the other. It lifts the water like a dipper, lots of it, so much that it gushes out as if it were boiling over. It’s called a well sweep.”

The gardener made an ugly face, then said with a laugh, “I’ve heard my teacher say, ‘Where there are machines, there will be machine problems; where there are machine problems, the mechanical will find entry into the hearts and minds of the people; when people’s hearts and minds become mechanical, what’s pure and simple is spoiled. Without the pure and simple, the spirit knows no rest. And when the spirit knows no rest, even the Tao can’t carry you on.’ It’s not that I don’t know about your machine, but that I’d be ashamed to use such a thing.”

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 20 2008, 06:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I disagree, fkalich. This kind of thing would only make things easier if you wanted it to. It could also be used to do things that you simply couldn't do. Is a delay pedal a 'shameful' thing because it repeats notes that we could, actually, repeat ourselves? Of course not, it allows us to do other things instead of repeating that note. I personally wouldn't use this kind of thing to "replace" bending and other methods of pitch shifting but it has other, more interesting uses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 20 2008, 09:12 PM
Instructor
Well, I think fkalish made his point in his own (to me weird) way, and I agree with him on this wii matter. I think putting a wiimote to a strat and moving the neck up&down to bend the note is silly biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
J.E.
Oct 20 2008, 10:08 PM
What do you get from doing that? i dont get the point:S Some psychedelic sound you get or something? haha

--------------------
Can you imagine?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:08 AM