Sweeping, How should I go about learning it?
Taka Perry
Aug 7 2013, 01:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi guys,

I've basically been wanting to sweep for a long time, but I've never really worked out where to start and what to do. If anyone has any pointers, it would be really appreciated smile.gif Thanks a lot

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 7 2013, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Sweeping is not as hard as it looks. It's mostly about the perfect synchro and notes separation. I can advice to start from the roots - guys like Malmsteen. I started form his 3 string apregios and I think it was a great beginning. Here's a cool lesson from Gabriel:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...msteen-lesson3/

Also this seems to be cool lesons from Carlos.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-sweep-picking/

I would strat from doing these two. You don't have to play the at full speed but just get known with the basic sweep shapes smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 03:38 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 7 2013, 12:12 PM) *
Hi guys,

I've basically been wanting to sweep for a long time, but I've never really worked out where to start and what to do. If anyone has any pointers, it would be really appreciated smile.gif Thanks a lot

For learning sweeping, really all you need is to memorize a few shapes (I just learned two laugh.gif) and if you've learned a major arpeggio shape, just changing one note would bring it to a minor arpeggio, or vice versa. Thus, you'll learn two shapes actually when you learn one smile.gif

Practising them, however, is a totally different story. This, in my opinion and many others, is something that takes a guitarist from one level to another, probably from intermediate to advanced.

I can't tell you much since I'm just starting out on it as well, but before learning sweeping I was advised to hone my legato, muting, speed picking and tapping skills, since those are crucial for shredding. Sweeping should be the last step.

What I started with is this lesson from Lian: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweeps_Major_and_Minor/

Really fun lesson and you see results pretty quick because its just not that fast, its all about playing cleanly and accurately, and that is more important than speed smile.gif

Oh yes! One more thing. Gabriel showed me a demon driver sweeping lick, that's like on two or three top strings (G B high E), and he strongly suggested that I start with small sweeps and gradually speed them up and then move on to add one more string, and do the same with it until I master all 6 strings smile.gif Let me look for that lick, I wrote it down somewhere, I'll give it to you shortly smile.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 7 2013, 03:41 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Aug 7 2013, 04:57 PM
I'm not a sweeping expert but I started doing 2 string sweeps because the inside string direction change is the most difficult for me and for most people. By practicing a lot of that, the rest of the sweeps aren't so difficult anymore.

If you mute your strings with your left hand and go to the B and E strings and play down down up up down down up up B E E B B E E B, that's a great way to start. Then do up down up down on B E B E, then go to three note but now do DownDownDown UP Up DOWN like this G B E B G so only the first time you do Three consecutive down strokes the pattern becomes an inside turn around sweep of DDUUDDUUDDUUDDUUDDUU like this BE BG BE BG BE BG this is the absolute hardest part of sweeping after you master this go on to learning how to isolate with your left hand. If you do these 5 minutes a day it's really good, don't overdo it in the beginning or get frustrated, it's really annoying to play but after a while it becomes second nature!

After that, doing it over more strings making sure that you're letting the pick fall rather than doing a pick on each string, it's time to learn some shapes. There's a really nice lesson on truefire called 50 sweeping licks you should know (as well as many really good lessons on here), but truefire is free for 3 months, so if you only want sweeping you could use that. Write me a private message if you want more help or get stuck, I've been studying a lot of material regarding sweeping.

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 7 2013, 05:17 PM
Instructor
Nice suggestion Verciazghra ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 7 2013, 06:07 PM
This is the little sweeping lick Gabriel taught me during a live lesson smile.gif

e|--10p7-------7--9p6-------6--------|
B|-------7---7--------7---7----------|
G|---------7------------6------------|
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------|

And you basically repeat the licks over and over again.

And also do as Verc says, he really explained everything in detail, you shouldn't have problems practicing that biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Aug 7 2013, 06:09 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 7 2013, 06:52 PM
Instructor
Hi! There are not big secrets about Sweeping, I think that it's even more natural than Alternate Picking so if you do the "sweep" smooth, as a unique movement and concentrate on synchronism between both hands you should master it.

I would like to share some lessons from my technique course where I share exercises and explanations from Zero to Hero. biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43083

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43281

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43490

Please share videos of you to show your progress and to let us give you specific feedback,

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2013, 07:40 AM
Instructor
Hey Taka, everyone pointed out great advice and now it would only be great if you could post some of your try outs regarding this technique - from that point on we can help even more smile.gif I also have something up the sleeve but, I'd like to see how your technique looks like at the moment, first thing.

I know this one can help as well: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweeps_Major_and_Minor/ it has a double advantage to it - you get to work your technique and also see it applied on minor and major arpeggio shapes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 8 2013, 09:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you everybody smile.gif I will start practicing, hopefully sometime I'll be able to do it laugh.gif

Gab, I really like the style of those lessons. I think I will start with them as it will let me grasp the technique, and then move onto the one Cosmin suggested once I get the fundamentals down smile.gif Also, thank you for the heads up verciazghra, I will take on board what you said.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 8 2013, 10:24 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Aug 8 2013, 08:17 AM) *
Thank you everybody smile.gif I will start practicing, hopefully sometime I'll be able to do it laugh.gif

Gab, I really like the style of those lessons. I think I will start with them as it will let me grasp the technique, and then move onto the one Cosmin suggested once I get the fundamentals down smile.gif Also, thank you for the heads up verciazghra, I will take on board what you said.

Hey Taka - I got something for ya:

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Aug 8 2013, 11:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 8 2013, 07:24 PM) *
Hey Taka - I got something for ya:

Wow, thank you so much. That definitely made my day. I'll work on those exercise's, and post a video up soon on how I'm going smile.gif Thank you a lot again, I really appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 8 2013, 01:30 PM
Instructor
Just do it biggrin.gif Waiting for Your progress show smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:36 PM