3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Ayang's Bootcamp, This Is Sparta!...er....Bootcamp!....
AyanG
Sep 22 2015, 05:44 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 22 2015, 03:27 AM) *
What is your total budget?

Around 200 to 250dollars(US)...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2015, 02:46 AM
For $250 you should be able to get a used eleven rack off ebay. It would serve as a processor, and recording interface. You should also be able to pickup one of the line six foot board processors for about that much or one of the BOSS multi processors as well. Do you have music shops near by? or would you be using ebay? or are you going to have to buy new?

the focusrite is a very nice interface of all the ones you listed smile.gif You can always use plugins like AMPLITUDE or GUITAR RIG and get your guitar tone from the computer. This makes things a bit difficult for live work, but if you don't plan on playing with a band any time soon then it shouldn't be a problem.

You can get a version of GUITAR RIG for free. It's just got a few amps/fx but the price is right. There are quite a few plugins for free. But guitar rig is what I'd start with. It can work by itself or inside your DAW like REAPER. BTW, go download reaper smile.gif it's free to download.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 22 2015, 12:44 AM) *
Around 200 to 250dollars(US)...
you

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 23 2015, 02:52 AM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 23 2015, 07:28 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 23 2015, 01:46 AM) *
For $250 you should be able to get a used eleven rack off ebay. It would serve as a processor, and recording interface. You should also be able to pickup one of the line six foot board processors for about that much or one of the BOSS multi processors as well. Do you have music shops near by? or would you be using ebay? or are you going to have to buy new?

the focusrite is a very nice interface of all the ones you listed smile.gif You can always use plugins like AMPLITUDE or GUITAR RIG and get your guitar tone from the computer. This makes things a bit difficult for live work, but if you don't plan on playing with a band any time soon then it shouldn't be a problem.

You can get a version of GUITAR RIG for free. It's just got a few amps/fx but the price is right. There are quite a few plugins for free. But guitar rig is what I'd start with. It can work by itself or inside your DAW like REAPER. BTW, go download reaper smile.gif it's free to download.

http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

you

I was planning to buy a new one....yea I dont have any plans to play in any band sooner......thats only for home recording purpose......one other thing that I was planning was to buy a new guitar.....I came across the :
1.Jackson JS32Q Dinky Quilt Maple Archtop Electric Guitar
2.SCHECTER C1 FR SGR
3.SCHECTER OMEN EXTREME-FR
4.SCHECTER DEMON 6 FR
5.SCHECTER OMEN 6 FR ......which one among these or anything else?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2015, 10:15 PM
Any reason you want to buy new? is it hard to buy used stuff where you are? Usually you can get lot's more bang for your buck buying used. If you buy any of the guitars you mentioned, they will probably need to go directly to a luthier for setup/intonation etc. Most of the ones you listed are good axes to get going on. But you could get about twice the axe, if you can go used. But if used is not an option, I'd probably avoid that jackson. Of course, some folks on here probably have one and love it smile.gif But the JS32q is sorta their very low end import and the ones I"ve played have very rough fit and finish, e.g. the frets need filing and leveling and/or the neck may have issues, etc.

The schecters at that range are pretty similar so if you like the way schecters play, then probably any of those will get the job done. I'm not much of a Schecter fan personally due to the neck being a pinch thick for my tastes, but some folks just love em!! If you like Schecters, then any of those should be fine.

With guitars, it's very important (if at all possible) to play before buying. If that's impossible, then you sorta have to guess. Which makes things much more difficult, based on what you've played in the past. Did you like the Schecters you've played? Assuming you've played some?

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 23 2015, 02:28 AM) *
I was planning to buy a new one....yea I dont have any plans to play in any band sooner......thats only for home recording purpose......one other thing that I was planning was to buy a new guitar.....I came across the :
1.Jackson JS32Q Dinky Quilt Maple Archtop Electric Guitar
2.SCHECTER C1 FR SGR
3.SCHECTER OMEN EXTREME-FR
4.SCHECTER DEMON 6 FR
5.SCHECTER OMEN 6 FR ......which one among these or anything else?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 23 2015, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 23 2015, 10:41 PM
yeah.....at times I hesitate to buy any sort of instruments that have been used by some one else.....the reason being i think why should someone sell off a product in working condition......yeah there maybe reasons other than the fact the gadget is erroneous or has gone faulty in a minute scale......that may come up once i get a hands on that......but there still remain an inner dicyness,probably it may be the reason.....and yeah for the avid eleven rack,i donot find it in my country's 2nd hand places to buy.......although i do find them first hand with great reviews from customers....

about the guitars.....no i haven't yet placed my hands on them...... i would admire if you share some other guitars to look out for.....for around 300-350$

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2015, 11:48 PM
Usually people sell things for one of a few reasons.

1.)they need the money
2.)They are upgrading
3.)What they have is somehow broken

But if you are not comfy buying used yet, that's cool smile.gif Just get a new one. smile.gif

In that price range for guitars, you are looking at the starter range for pretty much all the major vendors. Usually import guitars that will need to be taken to a luthier before they can play well. Usually, it's about $100-$200 depending on what needs to be done to the guitar to make it play it's best. However, you can wait for later on that and just play in whatever condition it comes in.

Can you play any of the guitars you are considering locally? Or are you "buying blind"? The good thing about shecters is that the quality is pretty consistent. But personally, I'd go for an import Ibanez. Maybe something like this one?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421LVS

Keep in mind that the resale value of a lower end, starter guitar is usually pretty low. But hopefully, your new axe will take care of you for some time smile.gif

It's about $300. smile.gif

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 23 2015, 05:41 PM) *
yeah.....at times I hesitate to buy any sort of instruments that have been used by some one else.....the reason being i think why should someone sell off a product in working condition......yeah there maybe reasons other than the fact the gadget is erroneous or has gone faulty in a minute scale......that may come up once i get a hands on that......but there still remain an inner dicyness,probably it may be the reason.....and yeah for the avid eleven rack,i donot find it in my country's 2nd hand places to buy.......although i do find them first hand with great reviews from customers....

about the guitars.....no i haven't yet placed my hands on them...... i would admire if you share some other guitars to look out for.....for around 300-350$

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 23 2015, 11:50 PM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 24 2015, 04:24 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 23 2015, 10:48 PM) *
Usually people sell things for one of a few reasons.

1.)they need the money
2.)They are upgrading
3.)What they have is somehow broken

But if you are not comfy buying used yet, that's cool smile.gif Just get a new one. smile.gif

In that price range for guitars, you are looking at the starter range for pretty much all the major vendors. Usually import guitars that will need to be taken to a luthier before they can play well. Usually, it's about $100-$200 depending on what needs to be done to the guitar to make it play it's best. However, you can wait for later on that and just play in whatever condition it comes in.

Can you play any of the guitars you are considering locally? Or are you "buying blind"? The good thing about shecters is that the quality is pretty consistent. But personally, I'd go for an import Ibanez. Maybe something like this one?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG421LVS

Keep in mind that the resale value of a lower end, starter guitar is usually pretty low. But hopefully, your new axe will take care of you for some time smile.gif

It's about $300. smile.gif

Sarge,

Played the Jackson dinky.....and it seemed very average in comfort......kindly suggest some more guitars thats good at 300dollar range?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2015, 09:10 PM
At that price point, you have some limited options on new gear and many of the axes at that level are similar in terms of parts/performance etc. So you should trust your hands and get the one that just feels better than the rest, no matter what it says on the headstock. smile.gif Having said that, I'd still start with Ibanez guitars and go move on from there.

Todd

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 24 2015, 11:24 AM) *
Sarge,

Played the Jackson dinky.....and it seemed very average in comfort......kindly suggest some more guitars thats good at 300dollar range?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 24 2015, 09:12 PM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 24 2015, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 24 2015, 08:10 PM) *
At that price point, you have some limited options on new gear and many of the axes at that level are similar in terms of parts/performance etc. So you should trust your hands and get the one that just feels better than the rest, no matter what it says on the headstock. smile.gif Having said that, I'd still start with Ibanez guitars and go move on from there.

Todd

Hi,

Thanks for the advice Sarge......was planning for a floyd rose

This post has been edited by AyanG: Sep 24 2015, 10:34 PM

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 24 2015, 10:31 PM
QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 24 2015, 08:59 PM) *
Hi,

Thanks for the advice Sarge......why not a Schecter or any other,will you start with?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2015, 04:11 AM
Well, as I said I don't like Schecter necks but that's just me smile.gif Some folks LOVE schecter necks. They are fine guitars for the money and if you like a more traditional neck, then bingo! I do tend to like thinner necks as you find on Ibanez guitars. Thus why I was mentioning that you might want to start with ibanez guitars when you get to the guitar store smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 25 2015, 04:12 AM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 25 2015, 07:50 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2015, 03:11 AM) *
Well, as I said I don't like Schecter necks but that's just me smile.gif Some folks LOVE schecter necks. They are fine guitars for the money and if you like a more traditional neck, then bingo! I do tend to like thinner necks as you find on Ibanez guitars. Thus why I was mentioning that you might want to start with ibanez guitars when you get to the guitar store smile.gif

Todd....I was planning for a Floyd rose this time.....besides i would like to know the things to check out for when buying a guitar from store....other than the comfort!

This post has been edited by AyanG: Sep 25 2015, 06:49 PM

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2015, 06:52 PM
Go for it!! Ibanez Guitars often have floyd rose style trems. But are you talking about the floyd rose brand or a floyd rose knockoff like on the ibanez guitars? I've got two ibanez guitars with floyd rose copy trems and they work great smile.gif I would say don't get hung up on the brand name itself. I'd suggest you focus on the guitar. Find one that feels "right" for you. Just go to a music store and tell them your price range. They will point you to the guitars you can afford. Play them all and pick the one you like best. Make sense?

The reason I am focusing you on "comfort' and "feel" is that for your price point, most of the guitars are not going to be very good to be honest. And the parts in them are going to be sorta cheap. The pickups for instance. At that price range, it's most important that you simply feel comfy playing the guitar. Some folks buy the one that looks cool. I'd suggest against that. Just look for something with a floyd rose style trem and see if it feels good to play it.

1.)watch out for fret buzz
2.)Check to see if the neck is straight
3.)make sure the frets to stick out and pinch your hand.

I hope this helps smile.gif I've really tried to give you every bit of advice I can here given the price point and the fact you want a new guitar, it really limits the options. sad.gif The last guitar I bought in that price range was a BC RICH Gunslinger and it needed another few hundred in work and parts to play right. The takeaway is that this is just going to be your starter guitar so pick one that feels good, as you are going to spend a lot of time practicing on it.

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 25 2015, 02:50 AM) *
Todd....I was planning for a Floyd rose this time.....

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 25 2015, 06:56 PM

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 25 2015, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2015, 05:52 PM) *
Go for it!! Ibanez Guitars often have floyd rose style trems. But are you talking about the floyd rose brand or a floyd rose knockoff like on the ibanez guitars? I've got two ibanez guitars with floyd rose copy trems and they work great smile.gif I would say don't get hung up on the brand name itself. I'd suggest you focus on the guitar. Find one that feels "right" for you. Just go to a music store and tell them your price range. They will point you to the guitars you can afford. Play them all and pick the one you like best. Make sense?

Maybe we are missing each other here. I'm assuming you can get to a music store, but maybe that's not possible? Is that what is going on? Is there any way you can try guitars before you buy or are you going to have to pretty much take our word for it and buy a new one from the internet?

Nopes.I am getting what you are saying properly.There are stores around where I stay and I already have tried the Jackson dinkys and lost hope on them.I wont be buying the guitars online.I was just checking out the online stores in the free time,to see what guitars comes for my budget.I will be buying from the stores only,so I asked you for the aspects on the guitar to check before buying the guitar.And yeah I was planning to buy a guitar with a floyd rose tremolo.I blindly love the whammy bar tricks that Joe Satriani does biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2015, 05:52 PM) *

The reason I am focusing you on "comfort' and "feel" is that for your price point, most of the guitars are not going to be very good to be honest. And the parts in them are going to be sorta cheap. The pickups for instance. At that price range, it's most important that you simply feel comfy playing the guitar. Some folks buy the one that looks cool. I'd suggest against that. Just look for something with a floyd rose style trem and see if it feels good to play it.

1.)watch out for fret buzz
2.)Check to see if the neck is straight
3.)make sure the frets to stick out and pinch your hand.

I hope this helps smile.gif I've really tried to give you every bit of advice I can here given the price point and the fact you want a new guitar, it really limits the options. sad.gif The last guitar I bought in that price range was a BC RICH Gunslinger and it needed another few hundred in work and parts to play right. The takeaway is that this is just going to be your starter guitar so pick one that feels good, as you are going to spend a lot of time practicing on it.

Thanks for the advice Sarge.Will keep the things in mind.

This post has been edited by AyanG: Sep 25 2015, 07:09 PM

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2015, 08:13 PM
Happy to help smile.gif Trust your fingers!! smile.gif Keep in mind that this is just your starter axe. You will have many, many others along so this one doesn't need to be perfect. Just needs to get the job done smile.gif

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 25 2015, 02:10 PM) *
Nopes.I am getting what you are saying properly.There are stores around where I stay and I already have tried the Jackson dinkys and lost hope on them.I wont be buying the guitars online.I was just checking out the online stores in the free time,to see what guitars comes for my budget.I will be buying from the stores only,so I asked you for the aspects on the guitar to check before buying the guitar.And yeah I was planning to buy a guitar with a floyd rose tremolo.I blindly love the whammy bar tricks that Joe Satriani does biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice Sarge.Will keep the things in mind.

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 25 2015, 08:33 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2015, 07:13 PM) *
Happy to help smile.gif Trust your fingers!! smile.gif Keep in mind that this is just your starter axe. You will have many, many others along so this one doesn't need to be perfect. Just needs to get the job done smile.gif

Sarge,

Thanks for the advice.I wish I could shred someday like you.Would like to ask you who are your favourite musicians and favourite bands of yours?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2015, 11:06 PM
All you need to do is practice smile.gif

Hmm. Fave musicians.

Paul Gilbert
George Lynch
Tony McAlpine
Jimmy Hendrix
The Vaughn Brothers

fave bands

Racer X
In Flames
Carcass
Early Metallica
Early Megadeth
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Alice in Chains

just off the top of my head smile.gif I do like heavy stuff and technical stuff. But I also like a wide variety of stuff that I don't listen to as much. But you can probably hear the influences I"ve listed here in my playing both in solo and rythm bits smile.gif

Shredding is actually quite simple once you get used to playing with precision. Remember, "Speed is a byproduct of Precision".
So if you just take care of the precision, the speed will take care of itself smile.gif

Todd

quote name='AyanG' date='Sep 25 2015, 03:33 PM' post='719134']
Sarge,

Thanks for the advice.I wish I could shred someday like you.Would like to ask you who are your favourite musicians and favourite bands of yours?
[/quote]

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 26 2015, 06:17 PM
Hey Sarge,

I am really intrigued by the classical style of holding the guitar.I feel there is an ease in accessing the higher frets.Can you share some insights on that?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 26 2015, 06:38 PM
Well sure smile.gif I'd suggest holding the guitar when sitting in classical fashion instead of "side saddle" simply because it eases tension on the wrist and increases the reach of hand. That's why classical players sit that way smile.gif

QUOTE (AyanG @ Sep 26 2015, 01:17 PM) *
Hey Sarge,

I am really intrigued by the classical style of holding the guitar.I feel there is an ease in accessing the higher frets.Can you share some insights on that?

+Quote Post
AyanG
Sep 26 2015, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 26 2015, 05:38 PM) *
Well sure smile.gif I'd suggest holding the guitar when sitting in classical fashion instead of "side saddle" simply because it eases tension on the wrist and increases the reach of hand. That's why classical players sit that way smile.gif

John petrucci,Jeff loomis,Chris Broderick were some monsters I have seen blasting in this stye.What is the exact way to hold the guitar,can you please share?

--------------------
Thanks and regards,

Ayan

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:04 PM